Author Topic: Chris's Mann Wagon Build  (Read 130842 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Mann Wagon Build
« Reply #675 on: September 25, 2020, 01:26:06 PM »
so are we going to make some jig blocks and form some strap hinges,, brass sheet and some "blacken it" would work nicely,,
[youtube1]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLtksqAz5Fs[/youtube1]

Yup, going to make the hinges same way as I did on the Lombard a couple of years ago with a jig, strap and tube. For strength will use steel rather than brass. That will get the long strap side on the moving panel. On the side on the bed, they had a block bolted to the side of the bed. That will be milled from solid. Going to need ten hinges, plus corner latches.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #676 on: September 25, 2020, 02:03:26 PM »
With all those hinge and latch and corner bracket bits, the shop elves are going to be busy! Hopefully that will keep them out of the beer for a while.  :Lol:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #677 on: September 25, 2020, 07:19:28 PM »
With all those hinge and latch and corner bracket bits, the shop elves are going to be busy! Hopefully that will keep them out of the beer for a while.  :Lol:
Downside is the noise from the forge and hammer work all night, with singing...  :cussing:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #678 on: September 25, 2020, 08:13:50 PM »
Yes, I can see where that would be unpleasant. Might be time to online shop at Elfazon for some noise cancelling headphones.  :Lol:

(now where did I put those song sheets and sheet music for "Oklahoma" and "State Fair", that I meant to mail to Chris' shop elves..........muwahahaha!!!)  :naughty:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #679 on: September 25, 2020, 08:57:33 PM »
Yes, I can see where that would be unpleasant. Might be time to online shop at Elfazon for some noise cancelling headphones.  :Lol:

(now where did I put those song sheets and sheet music for "Oklahoma" and "State Fair", that I meant to mail to Chris' shop elves..........muwahahaha!!!)  :naughty:
Polka Cruise Missle Away!   :LittleDevil:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #680 on: September 25, 2020, 09:07:59 PM »

Incoming!    :DrinkPint:    :Lol:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #681 on: September 26, 2020, 12:04:02 AM »
Not a lot to show today, was out and about most of the day. This afternoon did get a coat of sealer on the wood parts which will let the color coats build up faster. This is a lacquer based sealer I use for my wood carvings, very stinky stuff so was glad that it was a nice warm day to paint it on outside.

As mentioned, I am planning on making the hinges the same way as I did on the Lombard cab - thought sure that the jig was still in the piles somewhere, but I cannot find it. So, until the elves fess up that they made a shelf out of it in thier clubhouse, I made another one. Simple frame with a clamping bar and screws next to notches - to save time I reused a clamping jig from the Marion I-beams (have a pile of them still). Drilled a couple holes, cut off one side, and added some notches, instant hinge jig. Here it is with a bit of rod and strap clamped in place. For real use, the rod will be drilled for the hinge pins first, and a row of strap pieces lined up in the clamping bar. Then, silver solder down the length, making 4 or 5 hinge straps at a time. Then just cut the rod apart.

The clamp bar, with all the holes, was some scrap out of the bin from a part that got drilled wrong. Bottom view - the shape of the main jig is not important, that part sticking out is from the shape of the I-beam clamp. Main thing is to have the strap and rod held in place against each other for soldering.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #682 on: September 26, 2020, 07:25:49 PM »
Out local RC submarine group met out at the pond this morning, not a scheduled run but the weather was too good to pass up. I took along a surface 'target' lobsterboat, but it was attacked by the big nasty weed monster that lives in the pond...

The boat was able to hack off one of the monsters fingers, but it still stopped the boat dead in the water - fortunately some breeze that blew it back to shore. All of the subs escaped this time, though it has gotten one of my subs before - here is a shot taken by another sub before I was able to work it free from the evil clutches...

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #683 on: September 26, 2020, 07:32:10 PM »
This afternoon got started on the hinges for the cargo bed - cut the straps to length, and drilled a couple pieces of steel rod for the pivot tubes. Here they are ready to solder up:

and waiting to cool and clean up/cut apart:

One more set to go...

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #684 on: September 26, 2020, 10:55:18 PM »
Glue set up, so I propped the sides in place for a look:

Nice!!!!!!!   :cheers:  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #685 on: September 26, 2020, 11:54:42 PM »
Thanks Craig!

Got the hinge straps cleaned up and cut apart:

Here is where they will go on the side panels:

Next up will be to drill the holes in the straps for mounting screws, and taper the sides/round the upper ends. Then can start on the lower halves of the hinges that bolt to the cargo bed.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #686 on: September 27, 2020, 02:01:42 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #687 on: September 27, 2020, 02:32:48 AM »

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #688 on: September 27, 2020, 12:43:44 PM »
The saw marks on the wood really set them off. Looks very full size.

Grat work.
Ron

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #689 on: September 27, 2020, 04:32:52 PM »
That is a fine looking lobster boat. What model is it?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal