Author Topic: Chris's Mann Wagon Build  (Read 131162 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Mann Wagon Build
« Reply #630 on: September 19, 2020, 11:31:55 PM »
Got a start on the blocks that hold the steering column - one up at the cab coal bin subframe, that worked out (by chance) close enough to an existing bolt to hold it:

and one down at the front axle pillar:

This lower one still needs an L-shaped bracket to hold it to the pillar. There will be one more up at the steering wheel end, where the column comes through the back wall of the coal bin in front of the driver.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #631 on: September 20, 2020, 03:19:07 AM »
Chris,
That looks like a slick modification to the Sherline. Your modification wouldn't help me as my smallest lathe (only) is an Enco 12X36. I did have a go at adjusting the backlash on the supermax mill at work though. With some tinkering it went from .1 to .01-.015 backlash. I'm sure others with Sherline equipment would find this helpful.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #632 on: September 20, 2020, 04:38:39 AM »
Damn Dig it just keeps getting better. Love the gear setup top notch Chris........   :Love:

:cheers:
Don

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #633 on: September 20, 2020, 09:31:05 PM »
Got the brackets for the steering gears made up, here is a shot where its almost done, ready for final cleanup and painting:

The L-shaped part was silver soldered up from two pieces of steel flat bar. After this photo I got the excess of the horizontal rod holding the worm gear trimmed off too. Also got to work on the front leaf springs (and yes, the square block at the right side is crooked, it is not attached yet, still taking the wheel/axle assembly apart occasionally) :

Parts are in for paint now, more shots after they have set up. Next part will be the steering wheel...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #634 on: September 20, 2020, 09:52:19 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #635 on: September 20, 2020, 10:05:59 PM »
Forgot to mention, also will be retaining collars on the steering column to keep the gears in mesh...

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #636 on: September 21, 2020, 12:22:49 AM »
Okay, got the parts painted and installed, and added a retaining collar to keep the gears in mesh. Here is a photo:

and a short video showing it in action:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reydUIOUeJM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reydUIOUeJM</a>

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #637 on: September 21, 2020, 01:30:09 AM »
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #638 on: September 21, 2020, 02:56:59 AM »

Save a chair for me

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Well, okay!  The elves were selling them fast, but I snagged you a window seat in row 6....   :lolb:   Looks like something in an old Harold Lloyd movie. Instead of 'Mind the gap' its 'Mind the drop!'

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #639 on: September 21, 2020, 05:29:48 AM »
That works pretty slick, Chris!  :cheers:
Kim

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #640 on: September 21, 2020, 12:37:29 PM »
Wicked overhang on that car body......hope the driver doesn't swing too wide.......or the back passengers will be saying "how de doo" to the front end of oncoming traffic!

Looks like the guy in row two is ready to throw out a knotted rope to get down. I wonder if the bus stations for this enterprise all had raised platforms for passengers to get on and off. If a door latch ever failed with someone leaning on the door it would be a rude awakening.  Safety Third!  :Lol:   :cheers:

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #641 on: September 21, 2020, 07:30:26 PM »
If the young lad gets down from the footplate, then the whole lot will probably tip up !

Phil

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #642 on: September 21, 2020, 09:22:17 PM »
And on to the steering wheel. Turned the blank from a chunk of brass, using the compound slide to dish in the under face from the rim. The outer corners on the rim are filed to profile.

The outer face was then dished in at same angle (compound swung round the other way same angle). The hub was drilled to match the column.

Moved the chuck over to the rotary table on the mill to cut the spokes. Good practice for the gears coming up on the transmission. Started with drilling corner holes - these spokes are not tapered, so just had to offset from the centerline to do the edges of the spokes every 90 degrees.

and took the arc at the rim out...

then down the sides of the spokes...

One spoke was left fatter at the rim since it will have the handle through it. Drilled/tapped screw holes, and test fit on the model:

The column is left overlong for now, will trim it back later on.

Ready for some paint!

Though, I may need to hide the steering wheel from the shop elves.... races down the hall all night will get old quick!

Need to decide where to go next - main assemblies left are the cargo bed, cab/roof, transmission, crankshaft/eccentrics/reverse gear, and the engine.  Probably will go with the cargo bed, then transmission. The cab may be last, to leave best access to everything else.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #643 on: September 21, 2020, 09:30:56 PM »
Nice job :ThumbsUp:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #644 on: September 21, 2020, 10:48:27 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal