Author Topic: Chris's Mann Wagon Build  (Read 129607 times)

Offline cnr6400

Re: Chris's Mann Wagon Build
« Reply #405 on: August 03, 2020, 03:55:19 AM »
Lookin great Chris!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #406 on: August 03, 2020, 03:32:20 PM »
Thanks guys!  They are really starting to look like wheels this morning. I got the rest of the screws in and trimmed off, then cut off slices of the pipe for the rim....

and set up on the mill to shape the inside edges (too large for the lathe without putting in the riser blocks, this was quicker)

Next up is to figure out the best way to cut the angled slots across the width of the tread, then drill for the pins to hold it all together at the ends of the spokes.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #407 on: August 03, 2020, 09:08:10 PM »
And this afternoon, gave the edges of the rims a light line with a center drill, to mimic the joint between the rim layers:

Then it was time to add some tread to these slicks - angled the rotary table to one side, and milled a series of slots around the rim:

The left and right wheels need an opposite angle on the tread, so I used a protractor ruler to get the angle from the first wheel,

and used that to set the angle the opposite way (oh, and this was after flipping the first one back and forth to see if I needed to do this, and yes I did)

and milled the slots in the second front wheel:

Here are the two wheels so far:

Should mention that I am using the step on the inside of the rim that I showed in the previous post to set the rims in the chuck - with the step up against the jaws, I am sure that the wheel is square to the chuck each time.  Now it was time to get the spoke assemblies attached to the rims. After some careful measuring, and triple checking, the first rim had its spokes pushed into place, also indexing to the chuck jaws, and started drilling/tapping around the rim, one per spoke. After tapping the first, ran in a screw to keep it from shifting. Same on another spoke around the other side, then went back and did the rest. All are drilled on that rim, still need to tap the rest and can start on the second wheel. These screws, 2-56, will be loctited in place then cut off flush with the tread and filed smooth.

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #408 on: August 03, 2020, 09:57:10 PM »
Careful there Chris, looks like you picked up a screw in that tire - it's gonna go flat on ya.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #409 on: August 04, 2020, 12:14:28 AM »
Careful there Chris, looks like you picked up a screw in that tire - it's gonna go flat on ya.
That ali is tough to reinflate too!   :lolb:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #410 on: August 04, 2020, 12:22:21 AM »
I got the screws loctited in place, and a while later set up the riser on the lathe so I could bore out the axle hole to size. The chuck is gripping on the rim just like when I was doing the work on the mill, so I knew that the rim was running true. Bored out the hole with a small bar, so now the axle and rim are nicely aligned and there should be no wobble on the wheels. All that remains on these wheels is to give the loctite a night to cure up well, and trim off the screws, then make some bronze bearings for the hubs. And some sanding/filing. And some paint.... You get the idea...   :Lol:

The shop elves couldn't wait for that, and just had to see how the wheels looked against the truck:

They better start working out if they want to lift the front end of the truck enough.... Wonder if they will do that before they realize there is no front axle assembly yet!   :lolb:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #411 on: August 04, 2020, 12:25:08 AM »
That must be why the air force had those 2000 psi three stage air compressors on the old bombers......

.....but with aluminum tires, if you have a TIG torch you will never need another tire patch, or tire cement...... :shrug: :Lol:

Wheels are looking great Chris!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #412 on: August 04, 2020, 12:27:40 AM »
That must be why the air force had those 2000 psi three stage air compressors on the old bombers......

.....but with aluminum tires, if you have a TIG torch you will never need another tire patch, or tire cement...... :shrug: :Lol:

Wheels are looking great Chris!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Just had a thought, those are not stray screws, those are tire spikes for driving on ice! Yeah, thats it....   :Jester:

And why would they really need a compressor that powerful? Pop-bottle rockets as defense?  Punkin-Chunkin air cannons?

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #413 on: August 04, 2020, 04:26:33 PM »
Screws on tread areas cut/filed off, and axle bearings made and installed - ready for paint!

Now can move on to the rear wheels, which are larger diameter and wider, with a deeper hub so a steeper spoke angle. These will be a similar construction, though the rim material I found is steel rather than aluminum.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #414 on: August 04, 2020, 05:29:18 PM »
Screws in the treads? what screws in the treads?   :Lol:               :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #415 on: August 04, 2020, 06:15:51 PM »
Screws in the treads? what screws in the treads?   :Lol:               :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
:facepalm2:     Gotta send out the ninja attack elves again to put swarf in his socks....

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #416 on: August 04, 2020, 09:37:05 PM »
“You Da man Dog”...........awesome results...... :Love:

:drinking-41:
Don

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #417 on: August 05, 2020, 01:04:46 AM »
“You Da man Dog”...........awesome results...... :Love:

Don

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #418 on: August 05, 2020, 04:06:40 PM »
Yesterday I spent a fair bit of time getting started on the rear wheels - I thought it was going to be a quick couple of cuts on the bandsaw to get the blanks cut off the pipe, but it turns out that the saw vise would not open quite wide enough for this pipe.   :wallbang:   So, was able to make several cuts around the perimeter with the pipe clamped down mostly in the vise, then finish off with the hand held jig saw. Needless to say, the finished cut was not very smooth or as straight as it would have been. Fortunately the pipe I bought had straight cut ends, so I could mount that side to a faceplate to true up the new cut.The front wheels were small enough that I could grip the inside of that pipe with the lathe chuck jaws, but the rear wheels are too large for that. So, I dusted off the aluminum plate that I used to turn the big flywheel on my MEM Corliss model a few years back, and drilled/tapped holes in the rim of that and the pipe section. That took a lot of faffing about, clamping, drilling, moving clamps, etc.
Anyway, here is where I am today, getting the first wheel rim trued up on the lathe. I figured that the pipe would not be all that round, but it was interesting to see the little waves in the surface. This is not cast iron, it is A36 steel, so none of the iron powder coming off, just hot chips.

The ID seems to be a lot smoother, that will get turned to the same steps/center ridge that the front ones did. I had used the ID to indicate on when positioning the rim on the faceplate, so that will be my reference point moving forward. After turning the first sides on the rims, I'll shift the faceplate over to the mill again to drill another set of mounting holes in the edge so I can flip the parts over and do the second side. Turning steel this large a diameter (5" ID pipe)  is pushing the limits on the Sherline motor, so am taking breaks occasionally to let it cool off (too hot and the temperature sensor in it cuts it off, and it takes a lot longer to cool off). Lots of light cuts, and it will get there. Glad I've got good hearing protectors, this thing rings like a bell, especially on interrupted cuts.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #419 on: August 05, 2020, 05:32:33 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

That's a hefty job for the Sherline, but it's getting through it! For the ringing, try wrapping the pipe with a few layers of masking tape to damp the vibes. You could also try solder wrapped around it but you may not have room between ring and lathe bed for a piece of cigarette paper- let alone solder...... :o

Ring turning should not be like a Peter Appleyard vibraphone concert at dial setting 11. :Lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal