Author Topic: Chris's Mann Wagon Build  (Read 130062 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Chris's Mann Wagon Build
« Reply #255 on: July 07, 2020, 12:17:47 AM »
 :ThumbsUp:.....  :Love:

:cheers:
Don

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #256 on: July 07, 2020, 12:56:19 AM »

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #257 on: July 07, 2020, 12:40:54 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

I hope you don't get in trouble with The Society For Prevention Of Water Tank Name Calling re your calling them "dummies".  :Lol:

I've seen that brown stuff before, but don't quite recognise it.......

Anyway just  a thought - what do you plan to use as a vessel to keep your boiler filled with water? Will you just run Mamod style, fill boiler/run/fill boiler/run?

Functional and scale looking tanks are not simple to make. I've had a few tries at the water tank on my 1 1/2" steam roller. Not OK with the results. Resigned myself to making steel formers for flanging the copper ends and will rivet and soft solder the ends to a copper centre sheet. The ends are a weird shape, it's a tall rectangular tank but having a big arc shaped circular relief out of one side to clear the big roller.
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #258 on: July 07, 2020, 03:15:54 PM »
Yeah, will just be running Mamod-style mostly, though with the water fill plug replaced with a Goodall style valve, water can be added during a run from the pump bottle. I've got those on my G1 locos, works quite well.

https://www.thetraindepartment.com/live-steam-parts-accessories/goodall-valves/

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #259 on: July 07, 2020, 07:25:50 PM »
This morning got the tanks painted with a copper/bronze metallic artists paint to look more like old copper - this paint will tarnish a bit over time and get a more mellow look (have used it on sculptures in the past to make clay look like bronze). One good thing about it being so hot outside is that paint cures up quicker when set out!

Also made up the lower crossbars to hold them in place:

and with the frame right-side-up again:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #260 on: July 07, 2020, 10:14:17 PM »

Tanks for posting!   :facepalm:     :Lol:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #261 on: July 08, 2020, 12:35:25 AM »

Tanks for posting!   :facepalm:     :Lol:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #262 on: July 08, 2020, 12:39:22 AM »
On to the next brackets, these are the ones that hold the ends of the leaf springs for the rear axle, and sit on the long rectangular ones already made. Making them from three lengths of flat bar stock - drilled cross holes for screws to hold it all aligned for silver soldering. And yes, there are 5, not 4 in the bar, some of the bars were existing offcuts, and it worked out to be long enough for 5 of them, so I do have a spare if needed.

I'll solder the joints, then do some of the shaping before cutting them apart - they will have slots for the springs to move in, and tapered sides.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #263 on: July 08, 2020, 01:01:21 AM »
As usual, fabulous work Chris!
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #264 on: July 08, 2020, 03:51:33 AM »
Nice Chris!!  Still following along. :popcorn:   :popcorn:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #265 on: July 08, 2020, 08:43:41 PM »
This morning got the joints on the row-o-brackets silver soldered before the temperatures got too high, and left them to soak to clean up the flux while I went out with friends for a long, well-distanced lunch under a nice shady tree. Here it is ready to start trimming down:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #266 on: July 08, 2020, 11:56:39 PM »
Ground off the screws on the belt sander, and sawed out the bulk of the material at the outer edge, to leave a tapered flange up to where the leaf springs will sit. Tomorrow will set up on the mill to finish up the tapers and trim the overall height slightly.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #267 on: July 09, 2020, 04:36:44 PM »
This morning drilled/milled the slots in the sides of the leaf spring holders, so the pivots at the ends of the springs can slide as the spring compresses. The Mann (and a lot of other) steam trucks used a set of radius rods from the axle forward up to the frame to hold the axle from twisting. Those rods will connect into the angled brackets on the frame.

Cut the brackets apart, and finished shaping them on the belt sander before bolting them in place on the frame:

A family shot of the parts so far - the boiler is just set in place, it will be up a little higher on the frame, and the firebox willgo under the back end of it. Still more framework to do, extending up under the cab and supporting the boiler.

I am not doing the leaf springs quite yet, but looking ahead to them, I need to figure out what to make them out of. Strips of mild steel will work for appearance, and could be hardened/tempered, but that may be too stiff for a functioning suspension. Need to do some tests to see how it would behave. Anyone have suggestions for material to use? Same thing will be used on the front axle, which gets a single crosswise leaf spring.

Offline sid pileski

« Reply #268 on: July 09, 2020, 05:04:47 PM »
Here is something from McMaster-Carr that I've used.
They have a variety of thickness/width.

https://www.mcmaster.com/9075K7/

Sid

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #269 on: July 09, 2020, 05:09:26 PM »
Here is something from McMaster-Carr that I've used.
They have a variety of thickness/width.

https://www.mcmaster.com/9075K7/

Sid
Looks like it would do the trick. How do you cut it to length, an abrasive wheel?
 :cheers:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal