Author Topic: Chris's Mann Wagon Build  (Read 130083 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Mann Wagon Build
« Reply #240 on: July 03, 2020, 03:43:14 AM »
Just for giggles, I checked the maps to see how far to drive out to see the Mann truck in Vancouver....

Ahahahahaaa!  2850 miles!! Each way!  :o      :ShakeHead:

Good thing that the US/Canada border is closed so I have an excuse not to go.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #241 on: July 03, 2020, 04:00:01 AM »
Re abacusssiiissiisisiiisii :    Gesundheit....... :Lol:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #242 on: July 03, 2020, 04:28:41 PM »
Just for giggles, I checked the maps to see how far to drive out to see the Mann truck in Vancouver....

When the Border does open and you decide to make the trip, swing by and I will go with you with a couple of elves. About shoving the elves aside to get to the fridge, don't do it around my elves they have "the right to keep knives" (they tried the right to bear arms, but even with subsonic 22's they were knocked over with the recoil and could not hit the target), I found a friendly shout of "hay Joe pass me one" works, but you can't be fussy about what you get. With them having there own truck watch out they may set up refilling stations every 100'.
Stay Safe, Stay Healthy, Stay Home.
Gerald.
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #243 on: July 03, 2020, 04:44:06 PM »

When the Border does open and you decide to make the trip, swing by and I will go with you with a couple of elves. About shoving the elves aside to get to the fridge, don't do it around my elves they have "the right to keep knives" (they tried the right to bear arms, but even with subsonic 22's they were knocked over with the recoil and could not hit the target), I found a friendly shout of "hay Joe pass me one" works, but you can't be fussy about what you get. With them having there own truck watch out they may set up refilling stations every 100'.
Stay Safe, Stay Healthy, Stay Home.
Gerald.
Gerald.

:cheers:

The valves and plugs on the little Mamod have been soaked in vinegar to clean off the mineral deposits - obviously they ran it on tap water. Also swapped the original fiber washers for viton o rings, and it runs quite well. Just need to make up new drive bands and I can send the elves down to the corner store for ice cream.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #244 on: July 03, 2020, 09:15:26 PM »
After spending some time earlier today in Fusion, updating the cab and its frame to match the details in the photos that the curator out at the Vancouver museum kindly sent me, I got the rest of the screw holes drilled/tapped for the first set of brackets on the frame:

Still a bunch more brackets to go - there are a pair of large water tanks that hang under the frame, plus there needs to be brackets for the axle brake (the holes for the brake that rubs on the tires are on the back of the spring brackets, there is a brake band around a disc on the axle next to the differential also). After those are all on, there is a second set of brackets for the leaf springs that sit on the wide flat ones just added. It may be looking like a truck frame now, but there is still a LOT more to go on. The cargo bed frame, the cab frame up front, connections to the horn plates....

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #245 on: July 03, 2020, 10:01:21 PM »
Don't send the elves to the corner store for ice cream in a steam wagon, by the time they got back it would be melted.

I'd say a beer and chips run would probably be OK, but I doubt that you'd ever see any of the beer.  (Probably not many of the chips either.)

Don

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #246 on: July 04, 2020, 02:52:33 AM »
Chris,
If you decide to make the trip I'm only 3 hours NW of Chicago. If you need a break you can stop in and if you're lucky the elves will leave some of my homebrew.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #247 on: July 04, 2020, 02:55:56 AM »
Thanks guys! We'll have to plot out a line of water, steam oil, fuel, and beer cross-country!   :LickLips:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #248 on: July 05, 2020, 05:20:26 PM »
Back in the shop again today, gotten a start on the hangers for the water tanks - two large tanks under the main frame, one either side of the axle. Needs 8 brackets on the frame, with rods hanging down the sides of the tanks. There will be crossbars on each pair at the bottom to support the tanks. Started out with some thin flat bar, drilled sets of three holes along it. Center one holds the square bar for soldering, the other two are to mount the bracket to the frame rails. The square bars have a threaded hole in the bottom to take the hanger rods. After soldering, will cut the brackets apart and taper the lower ends as shown by the red lines sketched on two of them.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #249 on: July 05, 2020, 09:20:13 PM »
Got the row of brackets silver soldered - having them in one length of bar stock made that easy, leaned it vertically up against a firebrick so the solder would lay on the square bars and run into the joint, and heated it from the back side. After pickling and milling the ends of the square bars even, and milling off the screw heads on the back, the individual brackets were sawn apart then the sides angled on the belt sander:

Ready to make the hanger rods and lower crossbars...  A couple of the hangers will be suspended between the frames, from the upper frame crossbars while the rest bolt to the frame rails. This is since the forward tank has to be narrower to leave clearance for the drive chain and differential.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #250 on: July 06, 2020, 01:09:59 AM »
Little more done this evening, got the holes drilled/tapped in the side frames for the water tank hanger brackets:

and attached the first 6 of the brackets:

The last two need blocks made to transition to the upper crossmembers, since they are between the frame rails to leave clearance for the chain drive to the rear axle.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #251 on: July 06, 2020, 10:10:08 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :LickLips:

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #252 on: July 06, 2020, 06:17:53 PM »
Still following along in the background and enjoying  :praise2:  :praise2:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #253 on: July 06, 2020, 06:24:19 PM »
Thanks guys!

This morning got the two angle-section pieces cut/drilled/tapped to hold the hangers that are between the frame rails, and have started in making the hanger rods - simple length of round bar threaded at each end. One threaded, seven to go...

After those are done will make the tanks and the lower crossbars that hold them to the hanger rods.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #254 on: July 06, 2020, 09:09:14 PM »
Got the rest of the hanger rods threaded and test fit, realized that I had bolted the hanger angle pieces on backwards in the photo in the previous post, the square blocks should have been facing the other way. Also cut out the wood blocks for the water tanks. These tanks are dummies, they dont need to hold anything for the model, so they will be wooden rather than metal. Or, for you purists, think of it as free-range surface-mined steel!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal