Author Topic: Chris's Mann Wagon Build  (Read 130076 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Chris's Mann Wagon Build
« Reply #435 on: August 11, 2020, 09:48:51 AM »
Very intuitive Dog I like it....... :Love:

:cheers:
Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #436 on: August 11, 2020, 02:45:33 PM »
Thanks guys! 

Lots more holes to drill, got a start down the sides of the spokes....

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #437 on: August 11, 2020, 03:11:32 PM »
Any shop elves showing up for work in clerical robes and collars yet? Cause that wheel is holy already!  :Lol:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #438 on: August 11, 2020, 03:40:24 PM »
Any shop elves showing up for work in clerical robes and collars yet? Cause that wheel is holy already!  :Lol:
Back to your cell!  Gruel and silence for a fortnight!   :Lol:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6WjhzzEHmE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6WjhzzEHmE</a>

Offline kvom

« Reply #439 on: August 11, 2020, 06:55:42 PM »
Very "nutty" project those wheels.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #440 on: August 11, 2020, 07:19:50 PM »
Very "nutty" project those wheels.

Lot of screwing around....   :Jester:

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #441 on: August 11, 2020, 08:26:44 PM »
Do you ever get where you look at what you’re doing and declare “wow man, this thing looks like an excellent candidate for the scrap bin?”, only to perceiver and have everything come out ok after all?
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #442 on: August 11, 2020, 09:05:58 PM »
Do you ever get where you look at what you’re doing and declare “wow man, this thing looks like an excellent candidate for the scrap bin?”, only to perceiver and have everything come out ok after all?
Not too many, though there are a bunch where halfway through I realized that I was doing it the hard way, and could have been done if used a different way. Usually the ones that get turned into RC boat ballast are the ones with a fatal mistake, something the wrong size or broken off, holes in the wrong place, things like that. Still have some partly made models that still get scavenged for parts.

I do recall one ship model, got a quarter of the way done with the rigging, and I just stopped. Didn't have any inspiration for it anymore. Took a while to realize why -  the size thread I was using was too thick, everything looked chunky and out of scale. Cut it all off and started over with finer thread, was much happier with the results. Few weeks gone, but learned a good lesson.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #443 on: August 12, 2020, 05:19:35 PM »
Continued on the spoke shaping yesterday and today....

finished them up this morning

and got all the bolts out and the plates numbered for where they go on, since that many holes will never quite line up in any orientation

Next step is to put the aluminum center sections back on the mill, and enlarge the openings so that the plates will overhang like on the front wheels. Then put all those bolts back in....

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #444 on: August 13, 2020, 06:58:26 PM »
Put the inner spoke plates back in the mill, and started by taking the rim width down - the one on the left is cut down, one on the right still to go:

Then went around and took .075" off both sides of each spoke, and took the inner arc back to match. Lastly set the rotab up vertically, with a spacer block underneath so the plates would clear the mill table, and drilled/tapped 5-40 holes in the end of each spoke:

Likewise drilled clearance holes in the rims. Note that the holes are offset from center of the rims, the spokes are set back farther on the inside, which gives clearance for the leaf springs later on.

Then, spent a while putting all the bolts back in to hold the outer plates on, and used the belt sander to shorten the ends above the nuts. Lined up the spoke assemblies with the holes in the rims, and bolted them in with some loctite 638. After that sets up will cut/file off the screws flush with the rims.

After trimming the screws, I can bore the center holes out to final dimensions, holding the wheels on the faceplate again. This will ensure that the hub holes are concentric with the outer surface. After that, still need to cut the tread slots in the outer surface of the rims, and can start work on the hubs. I think I am going to use taper-locks on the inside of the hubs to hold them to the axles - will be useful to be able to easily remove the wheels from the axles when working on the differential and suspension parts.

So, while the loctite is curing, good time to head out on the porch for a read/nap in the rocker!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #445 on: August 13, 2020, 08:08:46 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

They look really great Chris! well done.

signed Monk "F"   (didn't want to be Monk "E")      :Lol:     :facepalm:

(head still hurts from hitting it with the board per the video.)
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #446 on: August 13, 2020, 08:24:52 PM »
Love the wheels dog you give me more in site on future wheels and flywheel fabrications.......   :Love:

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #447 on: August 13, 2020, 09:02:17 PM »
Love the wheels dog you give me more in site on future wheels and flywheel fabrications.......   :Love:

Don
Thanks Don.  I've never made a flywheel quite this way, the MEM Corliss one was close, but the spokes slipped through the rim. This seems like a good way for large diameter ones, as long as suitable pipe for the rim can be found. This A36 steel cuts okay, not great but good enough.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #448 on: August 14, 2020, 12:26:21 AM »
After letting the Loctite set up, got the screw heads trimmed off, then set up on the mill to cut the slots in the tread. Just like with the front wheels, did one wheel with the rotab angled one way on the table,

then turned the assembly the other direction to do the second wheel, so the treads are opposite angles.

Next will be to move back over to the lathe to bore out the hole in the center to final size for the hubs...

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #449 on: August 14, 2020, 04:22:29 PM »
Hi Chris,
 The wheels are looking great!
Nice work & thanks for the how to, nice reference!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal