Author Topic: Stainless Stays  (Read 6662 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Stainless Stays
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2020, 11:21:22 PM »
The heat will spread from where you are heating, but it will always be hottest where the flame is aimed. For a copper boiler the size of yours, a propane torch like a handheld tank is not usually enough to heat it fast enough, the copper is so good at wickng it away. Years ago I invested in a larger torch, like the Sievert brand, others are out there, run off a 20 pound grill tank. The larger burner nozzles can get the bigger mass hot quick enough to silver solder before the flux burns off. If it can't do it in five minutes or so, the flux will be burned off.

I have build threads for several boilers, in the vehicles and models section. Mom st recent is for a Marion shovel, before that the one for a Lombard hauler.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2020, 11:43:11 PM »
Hi Pete,
 Missed this, could of sent you some from this,
 Didn’t measure but they are about 3 mm, I scored 4 lengths 800 mm long......well you never know when it will come in handy right? We had a new power supply run in for the plant, so asked very nicely if I could have a couple of off cuts to make rivets, no problem, would you like more.......I figured that the 3 or 4 meter lengths might be a bit excessive!
Hope all is well with you & the family.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2020, 07:00:41 AM »
Hi Pete,
 Missed this, could of sent you some from this,
 Didn’t measure but they are about 3 mm, I scored 4 lengths 800 mm long......well you never know when it will come in handy right? We had a new power supply run in for the plant, so asked very nicely if I could have a couple of off cuts to make rivets, no problem, would you like more.......I figured that the 3 or 4 meter lengths might be a bit excessive!
Hope all is well with you & the family.

Cheers Kerrin

Kerrin

Thanks, a perk of working in the power industry? I guess there would have been a few raised eybrows if you tried to walk 4 meter lengths out of the gate.

All is well down here thanks. Things are getting back to as normal as they can at the moment.  I trust you are all OK?

Pete
?To achieve anything in this game, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.? - Stirling Moss

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2020, 07:47:57 AM »
 How does the brazing rod hold up with regards to dezincification? Typical rod may be 50% zinc which is more than brass at around 40%. Compare that to say Colphos 90 bronze which is only 4%, surely the brazing rod will also suffer.

Probably OK on a low pressure seldom used boiler like this but would not suggest it for anything with higher pressures.

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2020, 08:14:54 AM »
Hi Peter

Looks like your sorted with a Bronze stay:- just wanted to say you have to be careful putting stainless in a boiler I found this out the hard way I made the regulator spear for my simplex out of 303 stainless after 12 months the point had eroded away and the regulator wouldn't seal 303 stainless has a high iron content I replaced with 316 stainless a marine grade its been in for over three years now and still going strong.

I'm currently fitting the regulator to my Crab project I'm using a ball valve again 316 stainless 3 times as costly as brass or other grades of stainless but I know it will do the job.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2020, 10:15:51 AM »
Jason

The brazing rods I have on order are Manganese Bronze

Stew

If I had used stainless it would be 316. Here is the ball valve regulator in my Dart, again 316 stainless. The difference being that a regulator is not structural. A ball valve is also unlikely to have a catastrophic failure.

Actually that one is brass, which I used as a proof of concept while the stainless one arrived.

Here's the stainless one

Pete

?To achieve anything in this game, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.? - Stirling Moss

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2020, 05:02:27 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Peter I’m currently fitting a ball valve regulator to my crab
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2020, 10:24:50 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Peter I’m currently fitting a ball valve regulator to my crab

:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Pete

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2020, 02:07:32 AM »
Hi Pete,
 Yep all good here. I worked thru from home, now back at the coal face. Did manage to get some shop time in which was great!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal