Author Topic: Chinese Non-delivery of items  (Read 2599 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Chinese Non-delivery of items
« on: May 23, 2020, 07:22:48 PM »
I was wondering if anyone else was having problems with getting things delivered from China?

I have had a number of reliable and fast deliveries but of late too many of these "China Post" deliveries, which have a timescale of 2 to 12 weeks delivery time, at the end of the duration the tracking show they never left the seller's premises  >:(

This is particularly annoying on Fleabay as anything over the 60 days falls off your purchase list and you can forget that you ever ordered the stuff. So you have paid your money and nothing comes of it  :Mad: and they hope you forget about the items so its win, win for them  :rant:

Has anyone else suffered with this  :censored: service from China ?

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
Re: Chinese Non-delivery of items
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 07:36:07 PM »
Hello Jo,

Sorry to hear about these problems.

Unfortunately, I think it's now about  time we should all try and be less dependant on the tempting low prices from the Far East and be prepared to pay more for home produced kit.

Lets hope our home industries respond.

Mike

It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 07:36:45 PM »
I try not to buy too much direct from there particularly in these times where our own suppliers need as much support as possible.

However my man says that container space is very hard to find at the moment and costs more so the small 2 bit companies are unlikely to want to pay more for delivery when charging so little in the first place.

Also with far fewer flights there is not much freight being carried in passenger aircraft again putting costs up as what space there is at a premium.

Bigger factories are still on restricted production and their smaller suppliers are also not at full production so less rejects to be sold of cheaply ;)

It's just one of the risks along with the item possibly being below par but the ones that are OK will keep people buying that way.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 08:22:20 PM »
Interestingly our plant in China is currently running over budget and as Jason says the number of flights is much reduced so deliveries are going to be a problem. If they are offering cheap deliveries on passenger flight cargo that will not happen at the moment.

I am waiting for some Sherline chucks from the USA that are slowly making there way here  ::)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Trevorc

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 08:51:11 PM »
Hello, I am pleased to see that there is some kind of consensus developing concerning our over reliance on Chinese imports. The recent PPE fiasco in the UK has shown the ultimate price we pay for over reliance on imports. Thankfully UK industry has been mobilised to solve the PPE and ventilator problem.
By continuing to buy cheap items from China we are killing off our home industry.When it is all gone guess where the price of the Chinese imports will go? Upwards, possibly with other political strings attached.
I try when ever possible, and there is an option, not to buy from China.
This maybe a bit too Political for the this forum, i will let the moderators decide.
TrevorC

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 08:54:05 PM »
I try when ever possible, and there is an option, not to buy from China.

With my recent experiences I am currently planning to not buy anything made in China in the future but I suspect it might be difficult  :thinking:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Woodguy

• Winnipeg, Canada
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 09:09:26 PM »
I can't speak for the UK as I no longer spend half the year there, but here in Canada the free shipping of the past disappeared when a new agreement between Canada and China caused costs to increase for China.  When this first happened, deliveries were much quicker, but that has since changed to the same old month long waits and prices for shipping now often exceed the price of the item shipped.

It is hopeless to avoid Chinese goods for the most part, but one can support local importers who have stock and can ship with reasonable speed.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 09:35:41 PM »
I have avoided anything on Fleabay from sellers in China this past year, always quite slow. Just about any imports into the US is pretty slow at the moment, have ordered some old books and some radio parts from England since all the virus shutdowns, and things are taking about 4 weeks just to get through customs and back into the postal stream - they may be leaving things to age and decontaminate a few weeks, or they just have too many people out.

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 09:41:40 PM »
I had a lot of trouble with chinese products and shipping even before the covid poped up. Now i only order from sellers in the country and try to avoid chinese products if possible. Either I never got what I order or it gets here and the quality is so poor it is unuseable. I did just purchase a 5C collet chuck that lived up to all that was promised after I remachined a few pieces. But that is very rare in my experience.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 12:57:52 AM »
Just a little off track, but last week I ordered via e-bay 20 pieces of 22 diameter stainless wire rotary brushes from HK @ US$6.54 with free delivery to Australia

It was only when into the second page that Paypal said the seller would not ship to my default Post Office box...the direction was to contact the seller to resolve the delivery location site...I did this which was ignored.......

Three [3] days later I receive an e-bay  :Director:  demand for payment :cussing: as I had committed to purchase the goods for US$6.54........

I communicate back to the seller, who in broken written English advise 'cannot understand why I will not use my physical home address?'

To date, I have no acknowledgement that my order has been cancelled and the demand for payment rescinded

So, my gripe is if Sellers decline to post to a PO Box, they should state this on their first electronic page

Derek
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 01:06:31 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 01:26:25 AM »
They are getting paid in advance, silly that they won't ship to any address that PayPal accepts, even "#3, Left Side of Donkey" should be fine.

Offline bruedney

• Wellington, New Zealand
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2020, 01:40:48 AM »
At this time the same is true for just about any country. I ordered a MESA card from MESA in the US at the end of March and I am still waiting for it. Tracking says it is in transit and has been since the 7th April.

I always use Aliexpress now as I have had no problems with their dispute resolution.
‘Results! Why man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won’t work.’ — Thomas Alva Edison

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2020, 01:46:47 AM »
Yes Chris....I stated this to the Seller in the second e-mail   :hellno:

However I have backed down and ordered/paid by Pay-pal with my home address as the delivery point, as these two [originally the 22 diameter] wire wheels are just about past their use by date  :lolb: ...[stainless wire on the left, brass wire on the right]

Oh....when I went to the e-bay site I found my previous order still active and alive on line, so I deleted 20 x stainless wheels + a second set of 20 x stainless wheels, then selected & paid US $5.49 converted to AU$7.63 for 10 x pieces of the brass wire

Strangely enough, brass wire removes soft solder traces from brass surfaces/tube more effectively than the stainless wire  :noidea:

Derek 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 12:25:00 PM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Mike Bondarczuk

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2020, 09:04:34 AM »
Hi all,

Another aspect of eBay is that I have found that numerous sellers state that they are in London or somewhere else in the UK and then when the item arrives, quite often after a fairly long delivery period, it can be seen that it has come directly from China  :hammerbash:.

There does not seem to be an easy way to ascertain the exact location of the sellers, but they are certainly not in the UK.

Mike
"Everything I can't find is in a totally secure place"

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2020, 10:34:49 AM »
Hi Jo,
We had an article on our local news channel, currently 29 countries aren’t posting to New Zealand! With the massive reduction of international flight, our carrier is down 95%! it’s now likely that stuff will be like the good old days & come by sea, that used to be 3 months from the UK!
I haven’t had a Model Engineering mag for some weeks, thank goodness for the internet!

Hope all else is well.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal