Author Topic: A V8 maybe  (Read 225515 times)

Offline metalmad

• Australia Skype - metalmad11
Re: A V8 maybe
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 02:47:27 PM »
I have heard that as well but the old car heads I'm using is such good stuff, I really don't get that much rubbish on top, at least so far anyway.
learnt a couple of leasons the hard way this afternoon when I poured the timing cover and rear bulkhead, for a start I put the furnice on before making up my mold and overcooked my alloy getting porosity in the otherwise perfect bulkhead and the timing cover was a misspour due to running out of metal. :Mad:
as I said before at least I proved both patterns and learnt about half a dozen hard lessons.
Pete
PS before any one asks
Yes that is a tap washer glued onto my sump pattern ! ;D
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 12:19:55 PM by metalmad »
A little bit every day, sometimes the same little bit

Offline Bezalel

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 08:06:42 PM »
Looking good.  I think I read somewhere that remelting swarf isn't a good idea due to the oxidation on it in relation to the amount of metal?

Lee

Hi Lee

you're right about the oxidation. the surface area of swarf relative to the volume is huge, and it is the oxidation on the surface that protects ali from corosion. Although IMHO there is no reason to waste good metal the question becomes a matter of balancing Safety and Econamy,

Safety - because you need to be asolutely sure the swarf doesn't have any condensation on it any where, or other stuff you don't want in the melt.

Econamy - how much fuel and or flux do you have available?
If you're fuel comes from dead fall out of the trees in your back yard and you need to "clean up the dead fall regularly" regardless i.e. supply exceeds demad why not use it to melt swarf? the oxides will float and come off as dross. If on the other hand you have to buy gas to convert swarf into ingots at $3 a Kg, you may just be better off buying clean cast scrap.

My2Cents

Bez
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 08:18:32 PM by Bezalel »
Queensland - wet one day, humid the next

Offline metalmad

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 11:33:05 PM »
It just seems so wastfull to throw away all that swarf especially so as my block Pattern, my first ever incidentally is very very basic and as a first attempt has no cores of any kind, now that I have a usable block I will modify the pattern to include the between bearing web spaces as a fixed Core.
The Sump Pattern is my first attempt at a fixed Core. :pinkelephant:
Pete

« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 12:21:43 PM by metalmad »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 11:46:25 PM »
Silly question from someone who knows virtually nothing about this...

If condensation is an issue...can the swarf be heated up to evaporate the water before throwing in the pot?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2012, 12:21:37 AM »
Hi Pete

Are the plans you are working on freely available?  If so can you post a link.  I guess the dimensions are imperial.

Vince

Offline metalmad

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 12:23:23 AM »
Hi Zee
you know at least as much as I do buddy. This really is my first rodeo :cartwheel:
but I would imagine the condensation is just a safety issue (water/hot metal=explosion)  and will not effect the amount of dross produced.
Maybe Bez or someone else who knows what their doing will jump back in here  :thinking:
Here are the patterns for the rear bulk head and timing cover but I'm rethinking the size of the crank boss on the timing cover, I recon its a bit too big any thoughts??
Pete

« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 12:33:28 AM by metalmad »

Offline metalmad

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2012, 12:32:56 AM »
Hi Vince
I don't have the complete planset buddy, but what I have, seems to be based on "the Black widow"
and I'm using that as a starting point only.
I have no plans for things like timing covers, manifolds or water pumps etc etc
The design of my timing cover was dictated by the gear set I intend to use, the width of the bit of scrap wood and the size of the spray can cap :lolb:
Pete
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 12:25:56 PM by metalmad »

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2012, 01:12:28 AM »
OK Pete I think I found it.  Now I know roughly what you intend to do.  Best of luck and I will be following along.

Vince

Offline metalmad

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 03:50:38 AM »
Hi Vince
Did you watch the movies?
After seeing the Blown Black widow running there was no choice, I had to have one and the only way thats ever gunna happen is if I make it myself :cartwheel:
The timing cover has to be recast but as the bulk head will be covered by the flywheel and bell housing and never be seen maybe ill use it.
Pete
This post brings us up to today where I have drilled and taped the holes in the rear Bulk head.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 03:53:42 AM by metalmad »

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 05:00:36 AM »
Very cool Pete

Harking back a few posts: looks like your kids are really taken by the project

Steve

Offline metalmad

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2012, 05:50:23 AM »
Hi Steve
Its the sandbox mate
A sure way to get em into the shed  :cartwheel:
Pete

Offline Bezalel

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2012, 08:37:53 AM »
Silly question from someone who knows virtually nothing about this...

If condensation is an issue...can the swarf be heated up to evaporate the water before throwing in the pot?

Hi Zee

No such thing Silly Question.

The answer is "of course you can" ...........but will you remember?   :thinking:

Murphy recons,  the day there is water in the swarf, will be the day you forget to heat it up  :zap:

Happy Casting  ;D

Bez
Queensland - wet one day, humid the next

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2012, 10:01:14 AM »
Zee

when I was an apprentice and just after I came out on my time we had a few electric induction furnaces from 5 ton to 11 tons with a max input of 1.5 megga watts

one day whilst doing routine maint I was in the operators cabin , they had bales of scrap roud the top of the furnace to warm up ( well get B hot ) the operator kicked the last bale in and there was a big bang 11 ton of molten iron instead of being in the pot was now air born, que stay were you are if you are in a safe location

they examined to rest of the unused bales of scrap that were in stock and found unopened tins of soup beans or WHY hence the explosion

water and melting metal are not good bed fellows hence the caution mentioned above , its not worth it

to give you an idea of the force involved the 3/8 thick chequer plate floor was held down with 5 /8 inch counter sunk bolts the head after the plate had left the building ( true ) looked like little wine glasses , it melted the crane and track that where above the pot

Stuart

My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2012, 12:36:06 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.

Pete...that's looking good. Great progress.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline metalmad

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2012, 09:22:18 AM »
Thanks Zee
This Arvo I put the Block back up on the Mill and took a finishing cut on the ends.
So far I really happy with the Casting as there is no sign of porosity or hard spots and it machines well.
I might bolt on the bulk head tomorrow

Pete

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal