Author Topic: Taig Lathe Power Feed  (Read 2163 times)

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
Taig Lathe Power Feed
« on: May 09, 2020, 04:53:39 AM »
I currently have a Taig lathe. I was wondering whether a Taig power feed unit would be worthwhile. Those of you that have used one, do you find it a significant improvement? Or, do you find your self using the manual feed more often than the power feed?

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Re: Taig Lathe Power Feed
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 12:41:13 PM »
Hello Bear,

I have never regretted purchasing the optional power feed for the Taig. It works like a charm.

The transmission strong and silent. It seems a bit unnerving at first when you see the handwheel on the crossfeed constently turning while the lathe is running, but the moment you grab it, the crossfeed begins to travel. Take your hand off it, and it instantlly stops.

Using the power feed uses up one of your headstock pulley grooves. A belt is needed to connect down to the transmission. Not a big problem.

I would not hesitate purchasing one.

John

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 03:14:55 PM »
Thank's, John. More questions, if you don't mind. How do proceed, if you want to use the manual feed for the last part of the cut while in the process of using the power feed? Also, do you use the power feed for short distances like a couple of inches or so?

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 03:33:31 PM »
Not a problem at all. Good questions.

Yes, I most definitely use the power feed for an inch or two. It produced the smoothest finish on the cut - far superior than you can do manually by yourself.

I see your concern about being under power as you near the end of your cut. For example, as you approach a shoulder. Usually, I just let go of the wheel as I am very close the the shoulder. The carriage stops immediately. If you feel adventurous you can run up right up to the shoulder, but I prefer to get close and back off for another pass.

When I want to finish off, I slip the belt off the pulley with my left hand and manually advance to finish the trimming of the shoulder.

It sounds awkward, but you get onto it pretty quickly. You develop a lot of sensory feedback as you grab and and release the handwheel.

Hope this helps.

John

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 03:44:49 PM »
Very much appreciated, John. If I understand correctly, one cannot manually move the carriage without disengaging the belt; is that correct?

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 04:41:30 PM »
Oh no. You move the carriage back and forth as much as you want with no resistance at all. You are in control.

Only if you grab the wheel and hold it, will it automatically engage.  That's the beauty of it.

John

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 04:50:46 PM »
Great. I think I will be ordering one in the near future. Actually, I like my Taig lathe so much, that I may just order another complete lathe with the factory attached power feed. Thank you for your help.

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 06:09:32 PM »
John, I now have power feed, and I think it is great  :). Thank's again for the info.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal