Author Topic: Stephenson's Rocket  (Read 28438 times)

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
Re: Stephenson's Rocket
« Reply #300 on: August 02, 2020, 05:11:07 AM »
Never doubted how good the finished product would going by your other models and how you do things.
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #301 on: August 03, 2020, 01:15:27 AM »
Looks great Brian, and runs great. 

You’ve built this model from beginning to end while I’ve been ‘futzing around’ trying to get the Witte model to run.  Your time has been much more productive than mine.  Bravo!

:cheers:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #302 on: August 03, 2020, 01:40:50 AM »
Looking back to my first post, I see that I started this project around the 07 of May. WoW!!--I've spent almost three months on this build.---and I've worked on it almost every day. That is a long time for me to spend on one model. I haven't done a lot of completely new stuff here, but I have certainly sharpened up a lot of skills that I never use very much. I checked my cad files today, and there are 70 drawings involved with building this. That sounds like a lot, but when you make a detail drawing of each individual part, plus all the assemblies and sub assemblies, it adds up very quickly. I still hope to find an operator and show the engine moving under it's own power, but the build is essentially finished. Thanks for looking.---Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #303 on: August 03, 2020, 04:39:13 PM »
I just sold my first plan set for this engine. Now comes the tedious part---Opening each of the 70 drawings in Solidworks, then resaving them as .pdf files which can be opened without any special software. I used to have a piece of software that would do this automatically, but it never worked very well. Now I have something to do for the next couple of days.

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #304 on: August 03, 2020, 08:30:57 PM »
Brian:

Have you checked the doll house miniatures websites?  Doll houses are normally 1:12 scale.  I found links to a couple of Victorian era families that included a "Dad" dressed in a black coat for about $45 USD.  There are sources in Canada too, if you live on THAT side of the border.  I would imagine that a top hat would also be available from somebody.

True you'd have to dispose of the rest of the family some how...  But if you couldn't find a relative willing to adopt them, nobody here is gonna tell anybody where the bodies are buried.

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #305 on: August 03, 2020, 08:56:31 PM »
Brian:

Have you checked the doll house miniatures websites?  Doll houses are normally 1:12 scale.  I found links to a couple of Victorian era families that included a "Dad" dressed in a black coat for about $45 USD.  There are sources in Canada too, if you live on THAT side of the border.  I would imagine that a top hat would also be available from somebody.

True you'd have to dispose of the rest of the family some how...  But if you couldn't find a relative willing to adopt them, nobody here is gonna tell anybody where the bodies are buried.

Don
A shop elf serial killer.....

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #306 on: August 04, 2020, 12:10:03 AM »
My local "Toys are us" store has pose-able wrestlers and soldiers in the scale I want for about $12 Canadian. They are very good, and I can pose the arms wherever I want to (He has to be able to hold onto a cross-bar that I will install so he doesn't fall off). I can turn a top hat from aluminum and paint it black. Only problem is that they are either naked from their wrestler trunks up, or they are wearing bulky armoured vests. Nobody in my house sews, so I can't just make a black waistcoat and dress the silly buggers. I might go up there tomorrow and have another look. I also made a discovery--the black paint I used on the Rocket is "low gloss" black. ---when it is applied from the spray can. If you spray some into a container and apply it with a small brush to "touch up" any areas, it dries with a glossy finish. I now have a shiny fire-box.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #307 on: August 04, 2020, 12:35:55 AM »
Brian,
I cant go away for a weekend at a location that has no internet with out you finishing your latest project! looks great. Now all you need is a round track to run it on.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #308 on: August 04, 2020, 09:54:32 PM »
I got a driver!! He's a little too tall, but he has positionable arms and a full beard. I'm probably going to section a bit out of his legs to shorten him up, build him a top hat, and paint his upper body to look like a frock coat. Should be fun.--It's been a long time since I played with dollies.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #309 on: August 05, 2020, 01:06:30 AM »
Looks more like Ahnold than Stephenson, but thats fixable.  :ThumbsUp:

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #310 on: August 05, 2020, 01:21:36 AM »
Whatever his name was, it's now "Shorty". He was 7" tall. I just did a 1" section job by removing his knees. He isn't going to need to bend them while he's standing on the Rocket's platform.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #311 on: August 05, 2020, 04:58:53 PM »
It only took a little time to make a fairly decent top hat from aluminum. The issue is that shorty's head wasn't exactly round, which made it difficult to fit the top hat. The solution to that was to grind the top of Shorty's head off on my big belt sander, down to a point where the top hat fit quite dashingly. I will epoxy a #10 bolt into the top of Shorties head and put a blind #10-40 tapped hole into the underside of the top hat (it is actually solid), so that it doesn't blow off on any of his high-speed runs. I lay in bed last night thinking of clothing as opposed to a paint-job, and have decided that it would be very little work to make a cloth cloak. The fingers from a ladies cloth glove might be about the right size to provide coat sleeves for him.

Offline tghs

« Reply #312 on: August 05, 2020, 06:21:50 PM »
a perfect steampunk hat (just think, we were all steampunk before steampunk was cool) I do think it needs a brass hat band
what the @#&% over

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #313 on: August 05, 2020, 06:32:12 PM »
TGHS--Much as I am rather intrigued by steampunk, I'm going to try and keep this guy "period correct". I am going to paint the hat. I have a terrible problem with black---it doesn't photograph well at all. I haven't totally made up my mind about the color yet, and black is certainly appropriate to the era.  I will wait and see how things develop before settling on a color.---Brian

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #314 on: August 05, 2020, 07:44:07 PM »
Don't give upon the combat looking guys. One of the guys in my model boat club took one and used a dremel and small grinding wheels to remove all the backpack and amo belts. Then used bondo to fill joints and build up. He even made the guy a nifty sailor hat of bondo.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal