Author Topic: Stephenson's Rocket  (Read 28588 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Stephenson's Rocket
« Reply #285 on: July 30, 2020, 01:02:05 AM »
I really have to try and find a model "driver". I need a little man 5 1/2" to 6" tall to stand on the platform. I haven't got around to checking any of the toy stores yet.
One possible with period clothes:
http://www.doctorwhostore.com/doctor-who-new-series-12th-doctor-peter-capaldi-series-9-action-figure-character-options/

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #286 on: July 30, 2020, 01:27:46 AM »
I looked thru that site Chris, and there is one fellow in Victorian era top-hat, but the color isn't quite right. (I wanted black clothing and top hat.) It doesn't say anywhere what scale these figures are made to (1:12 being optimal) and doesn't give the height either. Thanks, Brian

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #287 on: July 30, 2020, 02:16:03 AM »
I looked thru that site Chris, and there is one fellow in Victorian era top-hat, but the color isn't quite right. (I wanted black clothing and top hat.) It doesn't say anywhere what scale these figures are made to (1:12 being optimal) and doesn't give the height either. Thanks, Brian
Picture of the box says 5.5 inch tall. And you could always paint the clothes. Probably best to find a toy shop and browse in person. Or learn to carve...   :hellno:

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #288 on: July 30, 2020, 03:21:24 AM »
Brian,
I'm glad to hear that you and Mr. Stephenson are getting along better today. What's this you're going to browse toy stores for shop elves? :mischief:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #289 on: July 30, 2020, 04:55:44 PM »
Brian try some of the second hand stores for figures, they are cheaper then the toy/Dall stores and don't mind a bit of paint to revive them.
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline awake

« Reply #290 on: July 30, 2020, 05:58:03 PM »
One possible with period clothes:
http://www.doctorwhostore.com/doctor-who-new-series-12th-doctor-peter-capaldi-series-9-action-figure-character-options/

One problem with those figurines is that they must be installed using a sonic screwdriver ... and the inside of the cab has to be larger than the outside!
Andy

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #291 on: July 30, 2020, 10:45:47 PM »
Jigs and fixtures---Fixtures and jigs. Some of the jigs I make are based on pure mathematical calculations. Some are "best guess". This one is a combination of both. If I have lived right, this may be the last on this engine. This is one of the times where I have had to tell myself "Try it and see if it works".  You will see that the silver solder has joined the bent tube and the flange, but has also wandered over and attached the socket head cap-screws. I expected this. Thats why there are only two capscrews holding each flange in place on the fixture. I will mill the heads off of the capscrews and cut away the angle which forms the welding jig, to free up the parts.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #292 on: July 31, 2020, 11:49:49 PM »
So--How did it work? it worked out perfect!!! Both welded pieces slid into place on the engine. I had used a bit of crazy glue to secure rubber o-rings into the ends of the 7/8" diameter manifold that ran thru the fire box. I coated the short tubes which were welded to the steamchest covers with J.B. Weld, and slid the welded pipes with flanges into place with no trouble. The flanges lined up, and the bolt holes in the flanges lined up. I tightened the flange bolts on one of the tubes, and felt it suck down into place as the rubber o-ring compressed. Went to tighten the bolts thru the other flange, and noticed that the flange wasn't setting as flush as I would have liked with the side of the fire box. I thought "Oh well, the copper tube will flex enough to let me tighten the bolts".---Hah!!!--The copper tube didn't flex at all. The silver soldered joint let go on one side. Ah Poop!!! To get really good secure joints with J.B. Weld, it shouldn't be disturbed for 24 hours after mixing.  That was okay. I had a small patent drawing to prepare for an inventor, so I spent this afternoon doing some honest design work while the one good silver soldered pipe was setting up. Tomorrow I will undo the broken/silver soldered tube and flange and  resolder it. After reassembly, assuming all goes well, I will hand paint the tubes to match the fire box.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 11:57:27 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #293 on: August 01, 2020, 04:42:36 PM »
So--How do you silver solder one end of a tube without melting  or burning out the J.B.Weld on the other end? You wrap the end with the J.B. Weld in a piece of cloth, tie it with some string to prevent it from sagging away from the tube, then soak the rag in water. As long as you don't spend too much time silver soldering the other end, the wet rag prevents any heat transfer into the other end of the tube.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #294 on: August 01, 2020, 06:36:13 PM »
After some re-soldering, re-assembly, and some touch up painting, we arrive at time for the final? "Beauty Shot" and the video. I still hope to find a period dressed driver to mount on the drivers platform, and I hope I can make a video of it running on it's own power across my office floor.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT1KZ5-8fCw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT1KZ5-8fCw</a>
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 06:46:06 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #295 on: August 01, 2020, 06:56:55 PM »
--Measured inside the flanges on my wheels is 4.7". That would be the inside to inside dimension on rails for it to run on. It would actually take very little to change it to suit a 4 3/4" track. I will sell the drawings as .pdf files and include the solid models as .step files for $40 Canadian funds. I normally charge only $25 Canadian for my engine drawings, but this build is far more extensive than any engines I have designed and built.---Brian

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #296 on: August 01, 2020, 07:50:44 PM »
Very well done!  As the Brits might (or not) say, you should be quite Chuff-Chuffed by the results!
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Online Charles Lamont

« Reply #297 on: August 01, 2020, 11:57:02 PM »
Nice job, Brian.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #298 on: August 02, 2020, 12:13:30 AM »
Thank you Chris and Charles. I'm glad to be finished. i'm happy that the end result turned out so well.---Brian

Offline d.williams

« Reply #299 on: August 02, 2020, 03:15:05 AM »
Just lovely! I thoroughly enjoyed following along.
Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal