Author Topic: Westbury Seal by Vixen  (Read 39592 times)

Offline Charles Lamont

Re: Mike's Westbury Seal
« Reply #225 on: July 16, 2020, 02:19:33 PM »
If an edge of the combustion chamber overlaps the bore you theoretically have very little clearance above to piston crown. On the Seagull I relieved the combustion chambers. The last two sections here http://www.charleslamont.me.uk/Seagull/cylinder_head.html explain.   

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #226 on: July 16, 2020, 02:55:47 PM »
Do you actually need them to be long reach? I've several engines where the plug is quite recessed, even got ones where they screw into a completely separate casting that puts them a long way from the combustion chamber but engine still runs.

Don't know if Jo's cheap far eastern sourced ones do long reach, you may have to PM her as I think she gave up on this thread early on as she could not follow the imperial dimensions being talked about. ::)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #227 on: July 16, 2020, 03:26:29 PM »
I think she gave up on this thread early on as she could not follow the imperial dimensions being talked about. ::)

Too true  :ThumbsUp:
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #228 on: July 16, 2020, 03:49:30 PM »
If an edge of the combustion chamber overlaps the bore you theoretically have very little clearance above to piston crown. On the Seagull I relieved the combustion chambers. The last two sections here http://www.charleslamont.me.uk/Seagull/cylinder_head.html explain.   

Thank you Charles,

There is often a conflict between Westbury's drawings and a CAD drawing created from exactly the same set of his dimensions. The piston crown/ cylinder head clearance for the Seal is one glaring example. It is a case of build it as best you can and sort out the problems as you encounter them. I see how you handled the piston crown clearance and I may need to do the same, when I get there.

Jason/ Jo  I have several sets of spark plugs from a number of different manufacturers including the far east. I will give them a go and see if there is a problem or not.

Sorry about the imperial measurements Jo, too bad you cannot follow them.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #229 on: July 16, 2020, 04:33:43 PM »
Sorry about the imperial measurements Jo, too bad you cannot follow them.

I am not the only one so many young people and engineers who have lived/worked all their life with metric have similar problems, it is especially difficult converting legacy stuff at such stressing times as this Covid pandemic.

I for one remain hopeful that there will be another generation of model engine makers to come after us and am doing as much as I can to make model engines accessible to them by detailed descriptions of how to make engines and using language/measurements that they understand but sadly with the coming economic depression I see the chances of many taking it up as a hobby as increasingly remote  :(

Jo

P.S. Did I ever mention the reaction I got when I took a copy of one of our well known model engineering magazines into "work" and the engineers saw the use of imperial measurements :paranoia: , I never did it again :facepalm2:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 04:58:46 PM by Jo »

Offline gadabout

« Reply #230 on: July 16, 2020, 10:21:28 PM »
Mike,
All you work looks so magnificent!!
I used long reach Rimfires from S&S think they were 25$US each.
I had to machine the combustion chambers on mine as the were all a different shape
regards
Mark

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #231 on: July 16, 2020, 11:56:52 PM »
There are cheaper options.

www.miniaturesparkplugs.com

If you click on the blue text next to the picture a pdf will appear with some basic dimensions.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #232 on: July 17, 2020, 01:22:00 PM »
Hello Steve

Thanks for your spark plug.......plug  :thinking:

Mike

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #233 on: July 17, 2020, 02:39:33 PM »
Mike I purchased a set of 10-40 plugs from Steve.     NICE stuff........just sayin
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #234 on: July 17, 2020, 02:46:16 PM »
How does the Corian stand up to heat? Mike's engine has the plugs quite close to the exhaust manifold and his engine will be in a confined space with little air flow.

Corian is quite easy to thermo-form and I have had quite a few counter tops made by Corian fabricators who heat form it as well as doing small bits myself and you don't need that high a temperature to get it soft.

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #235 on: July 17, 2020, 03:03:13 PM »
How does the Corian stand up to heat? Mike's engine has the plugs quite close to the exhaust manifold and his engine will be in a confined space with little air flow.

Corian is quite easy to thermo-form and I have had quite a few counter tops made by Corian fabricators who heat form it as well as doing small bits myself and you don't need that high a temperature to get it soft.

Interesting :thinking: So how does a spark plug with a Corian insulator survive the heat of the combustion chamber? :thinking:

Mike

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #236 on: July 17, 2020, 03:33:57 PM »
Interesting :thinking: So how does a spark plug with a Corian insulator survive the heat of the combustion chamber? :thinking:

Think of it like boiling water in a paper cup over an open flame and the paper not catching alight  ;)

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #237 on: July 17, 2020, 04:13:12 PM »

Think of it like boiling water in a paper cup over an open flame and the paper not catching alight  ;)

Jo

Only until the water boils away. :LittleDevil:

Corian is generally said to be heat resistant to 100degC but can be damaged by putting a hot pan or curling tongs on it, always tell customers not to put pans on Corian worktops. Only needs about 150 deg C to get it pliable enough to thermo form easily but go too hot and it starts to blister.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #238 on: July 17, 2020, 04:28:16 PM »

Corian is generally said to be heat resistant to 100degC but can be damaged by putting a hot pan or curling tongs on it, always tell customers not to put pans on Corian worktops. Only needs about 150 deg C to get it pliable enough to thermo form easily but go too hot and it starts to blister.

Du Point says their's is good for 175 deg C for a short time, i.e. you can lift something out of an oven put it down and then realise you have done it  :Doh:

The Seal has a water cooled head. But like the piece of paper over the heat if you take away the water it is a different experiment  :paranoia:

Jo

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #239 on: July 17, 2020, 04:51:16 PM »
The plugs in my peewee have been in there since 2010 and still work fine.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal