Author Topic: Westbury Seal by Vixen  (Read 38396 times)

Offline gadabout

Re: Mike's Westbury Seal
« Reply #195 on: July 08, 2020, 10:18:20 PM »
Mike,
very nice indeed! As I think I said once before this is going to be the bestest ever Seal ever made without a doubt!!!!!
regards
Mark

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #196 on: July 09, 2020, 12:48:33 AM »
Beautiful Mike!

Dave

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #197 on: July 09, 2020, 03:14:27 AM »
 :ThumbsUp:
 :popcorn:

John

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #198 on: July 09, 2020, 07:04:15 AM »
With the amount of changes you have made to that engine I think it should have had "Vixenbury Seal" on it.  ;)

Offline michelko

« Reply #199 on: July 09, 2020, 07:26:09 AM »
 :Lol: :ThumbsUp:
I second that

Offline gadabout

« Reply #200 on: July 09, 2020, 07:49:10 AM »
Yes , I remember someone saying that they wanted to machine it from castings not bar stock because they wanted to stay true to the original design and if machined from bar would introduce changes , or something like that  :lolb:
Mark
Having said that I am very much in favour of what you are doing, it is superb!!

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #201 on: July 09, 2020, 10:01:08 AM »
Yes , I remember someone saying that they wanted to machine it from castings not bar stock because they wanted to stay true to the original design and if machined from bar would introduce changes , or something like that  :lolb:

Hello Mark,
Whoever said that must know himself well. It was bound to happen when he was free of the constraints of the true to scale engine building of the Bristol Mercury, Jupiter and Mercedes Benz engines.
At least the name on the lid will serve to remind him that the purpose this journey was to drain the swamp.

Stay safe

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline kvom

« Reply #202 on: July 09, 2020, 12:23:05 PM »
Cam with one tool size and mill with another?  I've done that!   :hammerbash:

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #203 on: July 09, 2020, 06:29:21 PM »
I think by the time you have finished this build it should be a Vixen Seal  :) Still following along and still trying to find time for fuel injection and carburettor experiments  ::) Work keeps getting in the way.
Best regards

Roger

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #204 on: July 09, 2020, 07:53:46 PM »
Thanks everyone for calling in, it's always appreciated and it's nice to know there are still real people out there. It's been many months for all of us not seeing another model engineer face to face.

kvom, thanks, it's nice to be reassured I am not the only clown who does CAM with one tool size and fits a larger one into the mill.

Roger, I am hoping you will get a move on with the SU carb. I have great hopes to use it on the Seal. As for the suggested name change; too late, I have already done the top cover.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #205 on: July 10, 2020, 02:24:24 AM »
Mike,
Correct me If I'm wrong but, isn't that part made from bar stock. In which case you could correct the present typo, and have a Vixen Seal. Just my 2 cents worth. Looks great as it is though.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #206 on: July 10, 2020, 06:59:58 AM »
Mike's mention of sticky aluminium suggests it is a casting. If you do remake it you could add some cooling fins too.

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #207 on: July 10, 2020, 11:17:51 AM »
Art, Jason,

I actually made the cover plate from some aircraft grade aluminium sheet. It was hard but ductile material, which produces a long spiral of swarf when drilled. 'V' point engraving is always best done in a more friable material such as hard engraving brass, where the swarf will crumble to dust.

Currently, I have no plans to remake the cover, I am happy for it to carry the Westbury name, in respect of the designer.

As to cooling fins: well it's a water cooled engine so adding air cooling fins would be a bit like fitting wheels to a rocking horse. :shrug:

Mike
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 11:52:37 AM by Vixen »

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #208 on: July 10, 2020, 11:51:18 AM »
I must admit I was not looking forward to this next operation on the valve guides, after the previous fun and games while drilling the PB stock. However, it turned out well without any further problems

I used a 0.25" diameter ball end cutter to form the internal cavity from the valve seat end. I used the same ball end cutter to form the eight inlet/ exhaust ports along the side of the crankcase. In practice, I used a 5.0mm pilot drill to break through the side of the valve guide followed by the ball ended cutter. The two cuts intersected beautifully, forming a perfect hemispherical bowl. That's got to be good for the gas flow.

The eagle eyed will notice I have repositioned (downwards) the three manifold stud holes which normally coincide with the positions of cylinder head studs. The new stud hole positions will be reflected in the  combined inlet/exhaust manifold when I (re)make the manifold from billet. The revised hole repositioning would not be possible with the supplied manifold casting.

Stay safe.

Mike

« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 05:17:07 PM by Vixen »

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #209 on: July 10, 2020, 12:20:28 PM »
Looks like a very nice porting job Mike  :praise2:

Still following  :popcorn:    :cheers:

Per