Author Topic: Which gas burners  (Read 304 times)

Offline Barneydog

Which gas burners
« on: May 02, 2020, 11:09:47 PM »
Hi Guys,
In the current lockdown I am busy trying to finish my 5" Simplex loco. With my health I have been advised to keep out of smoke so I am busy trying to make decent gas burners. I have msde several including marty burners and various pendle style burners but none are so far good enough. I am using butane as I have plenty but all my flames have blue bottom half and orange top half which indicates not enough air in the flame. I am going through many design changes but not there yet.

My questions are these:-

What burners are people using for the 5" AND 7 1/4"  locos? Which give the best running? Did you buy them ready made or did you mske them yourselves? If you made a good reliable one have you got plans and pics please? 

I want to make my own partly because I want to learn and partly because I dont feel like paying nearly a hundred pounds each.....I need five or six I think!

Cheers

Jules

Offline Barneydog

Re: Which gas burners
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 10:39:16 PM »
Had lots of failures so far with gas burners of various typs and sizes and got nothing working. Have spent enough time on them so gone with coal for now. I will come back to gas burners when I have more time and can get more design info. Built ashpan and Rosebud grate.

Heers

Julian

Offline Admiral_dk

• S°ften - Denmark
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 11:28:22 AM »
I have seen a number of builds of gas burners here on this site over the years - but I do not know how easy they are to find ..... Jason and Chris comes to mind among many others ....

Best wishes

Per

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 12:10:31 PM »
I had not chipped in as I believe that the drafting problem on a locomotive will impact the gas burner design.

I seem to recall oil burners for locomotives are not unknown. They may be a good place to start to understand the unique challenges a gas burner needs to meet.

Jo

P.S. I am interested to know the answer as I was going to gas fire my 7 1/4 model of Locomotion  :) .
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 01:03:22 PM »
I have seen a number of builds of gas burners here on this site over the years - but I do not know how easy they are to find ..... Jason and Chris comes to mind among many others ....

Best wishes

Per
The only burners I have used are on much smaller gauge 1 boilers, nothing suitable for one this large.
Chris

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 01:48:14 PM »
No personal experience of them but look for the ones done by Locoparts, can't get the images to come up on their site at the  moment but these are the sort of thing

Also ask on one of the more Loco focused forums such as

https://modeleng.proboards.com/