Author Topic: Division Master - Rotary Table Controller  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Twizseven

Division Master - Rotary Table Controller
« on: May 02, 2020, 10:35:14 PM »
Many moons ago (years ago) I bought stepper motor and driver and some arduino bits to make a electronically driver rotary table.  Never found the time.  Now having retired and being in lockdown thought I had better try and build it.  I decided to upgrade slightly and bought a ready made circuit board from Steve Ward (World or Ward) and also a ready made and tested keyboard.  I had finished the electronics a week or so ago and tested it all on the bench.  I took a lot of care with the hole layout for the buttons. I made a mock up front panel from MDF and cut all the holes in it to ensure the layout was spot on.  the DRO was brilliant for this.

The stepper motor end cover was one I found on Thingiverse, but this particular one was created using OpenSCAD and so could easily be amended size wise. I was able to increase the size at the back for the XLR connector.

I opted for a long armoured flexy cable and power is courtesy of a spare Toshiba laptop PSU.

The Oldham coupling arrived a couple of days ago so I could carry on with the stepper mount. I had the material for the front and back mounts and just had to purchase some thick wall aluminium tube.  It all went relatively well. When you look at the photos please ignore the ding in the mounting on the rotary table. (tube with bracket on decided they would rather not stay fixed in the 3 jaw chuck. Grrr.

It all ran very well once fully assembled.

Colin
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLyUzMYSws8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLyUzMYSws8</a>

Online kvom

Re: Division Master - Rotary Table Controller
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 12:45:21 AM »
What is the speed number?  degrees/min?

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 02:36:29 AM »
Hi Colin,
 SNAP!
I built mine a few years ago. I would suggest if you aren’t already going to do so, make up a short screw to plug the oldham coupling screw access hole. You can guarantee  the elves will use that space to hide swarf!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 08:41:16 AM »
Kvom,
The speed number is in range of 1 to 5 from slowest time fastest speed of rotation.

Kerrin,
I was thinking of wide rubber band or similar. Or maybe a small nylon plug.

Colin

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 06:27:29 PM »
Nicely done  :praise2: What rotary table is that, Sherline?
Best regards

Roger

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 08:05:19 PM »
Roger,

It is a HOMGE 6".  I believe they have some link with Vertex.  It is quite nice in that it has the main table spindle in Roller Bearings, with a roller thrust bearing at the bottom.  The worm also has a ball thrust bearing.  I have had it a number of years but never used it.  When I dismantled it to clean it all there was no swarf or any rubbish inside, but the grease had congealed.  A good clean in the Ultrasonic cleaner was needed.  It runs nicely with no perceived backlash.

Colin

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 06:08:54 PM »
Finally got round to using the controller.  Found one minor issue in that if the worm gear in rotary table is pulled right over tight into the gear the stepper throws a wobbly.  This was a bit odd at first as the division controller appeared to hang up and would not let any settings be altered or go back to menu and also would not drive the rotary table.  I took division controller off stepper motor and it all worked okay and all menus and settings could be changed as required.  I reconnected it all and put ink mark on back of stepper motor spindle and then could see it was not turning. Backed off worm completely and all worked okay.  Re-engaged the worm gear just a gnats whisker off previous position and all okay.

I want to graduate the dial on the base of the spindle pillar on Stent Tool and Cutter Grinder.  I am giving it the refurb it should have had when first obtained it.  I have a Hemingway graduating tool and not having means of dividing on the lathe (at present) decided to set it up on the mill table and utilise the Division Controller.  Spent some time trying to work out how to hold the graduating tool in such a way that could alter its height and horizontal position.  Remembered I had a Myford Milling attachment that came with my lathe and had never used it.  Had a quick think and machined up a 90 degree bracket to hold the graduating tool.  Came to set it up and realised I had not thought the exercise through properly.  Found I could mount the graduating tool but it would be 90 degrees out.  Drilled few more holes in right angle bracket, tapped couple of extra 4BA holes in the rear of the graduating tool and eventually managed to get a solid set up.  It may look a bit Heath Robinson but it worked.

Put 2 and 10 degree markings for 90 degrees either side of centre position.

I now need to make a carrier for the graduating tool to hold it stationary in the mill spindle and parallel to the X-axis so as to be able to graduate the table clamps on the Stent.

Started to paint the base and pillar of the Stent so can begin re-assembly.

Colin

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 09:07:32 PM »
Great that you found the solution  :ThumbsUp:

I believe that the "Lockup" of the controller has to do with the fact that the stepper has an encoder to tell the controller how much the stepper has turned - a Closed Loop Circuit - and the programmer has desided that the User (you) isn't allowed to do anything before "the move has been completed", and since it couldn't ....

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 11:03:31 PM »
Solution was a little more than the worm being too tightly engaged.  :(

Problem occurred again today.  Ensured the worm was nice and easy fit, but the stepper would not rotate.

Disconnected stepper from adaptor tube, and it ran beautifully.  Got a pair of snipe nosed pliers and attempted to turn the section of Oldham coupling attached to the rotary table spindle.  It would hardly move, definitely too tight for the stepper to move.  The section of the rotary table that engages and disengages is held in place by three grub screws and also has the screw to lock the worm engage/disengage into place.  Because the weight of the rotary table was causing it to twist on the mounting, I had tightened the grub screws up.  Slackened them off and all moves happily.

Was able to use to then put some graduations on a scale for another part of the Stent.

Not sure how to resolve this.  Will dismantle another day, grab a few photos and put them up here and see what suggestions arise.

Colin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal