Author Topic: Fitting name and/or identification please?  (Read 1008 times)

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
Fitting name and/or identification please?
« on: April 29, 2020, 04:11:17 PM »
As many know I operate with almost vintage workshop machinery.

The picture is of my MT4 spindle mount from my JB Knight Jig borer come milling machine.

Yes, we broke it....

Can anyone identify what this kind of fitment is called so I can try to find a replacement? The Knight originates from St Louis USA and may well be from the 1930's.

Cheers Graham.

Offline RayW

Re: Fitting name and/or identification please?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 04:32:26 PM »
Had a quick search on the internet for you and came up with this link. Don't know if it will be of help.
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-and-history/w-b-knight-mill-jig-borer-240168/

P.S. The company appears to be W B Knight

This section of the website might answer your question:

I have acquired a W.B. Knight mill/jig bore model #40. According to this post it was made in the 40's. Is that definite? It is in great shape and I never saw a mill before that table (12x 40) turns as well as tilts. I would like more info. It has a 12 B&S taper. Any others I have seen mentioned have smaller B&S tapers. What is really different is the "Sheffer" square threaded nut the fits on end of B&S taper to hold it in machine. Is anyone familiar with 'Sheffer"? Any other info would be of interest
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 04:35:41 PM by RayW »
Ray

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 05:58:39 PM »
Thanks Ray.

WB Knight.... Indeed, I was working from memory lol. :)

B&S Taper.... Same as Morse taper?

So many questions!

Can anyone help stateside?

Cheers Graham.

Offline RayW

Ray

Offline john mills

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 07:54:54 AM »
interesting to see that tool i can see does the square fit in the slot across the end of the spindle and the nut screws on the thread.it looks like the brown and sharpe taper as it is longer and a slower taper.what broke .
i have an older machine with any 10 brown and sharp taper.I have no original tooling  i have just machined what i have wanted.  it is more a1900 machine but i have done lots of good work on it.the first job before i owned it
was at tech school form 5 when we made the small bench vice .the teacher said it would be a handy machine at home.
and he was right.that was over fifty years ago.i have some of the same castings to machine now but i don't have the fixtures .     John

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 11:42:59 AM »
Hi John.

I'll try to describe it. The spindle has a female B&S taper ( around 5 MT ) with a female square at its nose.
The " tool carrier " fits snugly into this and is held in place by the round knurled locking nut. A smaller, fine threaded nut  ( large Clarkson spanner size ) is brought up against the locknut to stop the assembly from undoing whilst running.

The milling chuck fits into the internal taper and held firm by the short " drawbar " through the end of the carrier. Once tight the assembly is offered up to the spindle, located into the square and locked in place using a " C " spanner. The smaller locknut is tightened to finish.

Though rather tedious in setting up the accuracy is very good and rigidity excellent.

If you look closely at the photograph you might discern a crack emanating from the Tang release slot? It's not a crack, it's broken in half. The thickness of this area is measured in 1000's of an inch and a repair with either a weld or hard solder impossible.

The machine is a number 20, stands over 8 feet tall and is getting on towards 2 Tons in weight. The original motor had multiple winding combinations for speed change but when it burned out I replaced it with a 4 pole 3 phase motor and used a VFD instead.

It's been one of the most versatile machines I've owned, hats off to WB Knight. I was hoping that one of our many " over the pond " members/readers might know if there's some replacement tooling available?

Cheers Graham.

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 12:18:22 PM »
Hello All.

I'm jogging this thread, can anyone help?

I think I may be running a very rare beastie, I can't find a mention in Lathes.co.uk ! I've emailed him but haven't received a reply as yet.

Cheers Graham.

Offline RayW

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 11:53:05 AM »
Have you had a reply from Lathes.co.uk yet Graham? I sent him some photos of my Churchill Redman Cub lathe to add to his collection and never heard a word from him, not even a thank-you. As regards your broken fitting, would there be any chance of getting it welded then precision ground? Would obviously not be cheap, but might be the only way to save it.
Ray

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 12:28:04 PM »
Hi Ray.

Not a sausage.... But a plea on the Small power engine and model group has revealed that the mount is very rare, even in the USA. But the gentleman who answered thinks he might have one, fingers crossed.

I'm not sure but think it's a B&S to Morse taper conversion sleeve and the thickness is minimal, to say the least. Luckily I found the mount for the Clarkson Autolock chuck but this doesn't help for my boring head or Pozilock milling chuck.

Thanks for asking, kind regards, Graham.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal