Author Topic: A Simple Uniflow Engine  (Read 46148 times)

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
Re: A Simple Uniflow Engine
« Reply #225 on: December 02, 2020, 08:56:41 AM »
Cheers Stuart. It will be very interesting to see how it responds to an initial test. Not so far away now...

I'm fully prepared for the possibility that it may not run due to the flywheels being on the small side. If that happens I'll just have to increase their size.

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #226 on: December 06, 2020, 10:49:28 PM »
Drilling a 5-hole bolt circle in the bearing flanges using the small rotary table with dividing plate (there's a bit of a '5' theme to this engine):

Drilling a matching bolt circle in the bearing collars. These are blind holes which will be tapped M3:

Bearings and collars drilled. Still to be deburred, which I'll do once the collars have been tapped:

The holes in the collars still need to be tapped, and clearance holes still need to be drilled in the frame for the screws to pass through and join the bearings to the collars. However, I thought I'd give it another trial assembly to make an initial assessment of the bearings:

All seems ok as far as I can ascertain at this stage. Crankshaft looks true and turns smoothly, cylinder 'breathing' as the piston pushes and pulls at it...

:)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #227 on: December 06, 2020, 10:53:11 PM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #228 on: December 06, 2020, 10:56:42 PM »
Cheers Chris.

:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #229 on: December 06, 2020, 11:35:12 PM »
Ah excellent! Nice work. We both have crank success today!
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #230 on: December 07, 2020, 10:53:03 AM »
Yes indeed!

:ThumbsUp:

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #231 on: December 08, 2020, 10:35:22 PM »
Tapping the holes in the bronze bearing collars M3:

The bearing assemblies (flange on outside of frame, collar on inside):

These are pretty much done, apart from drilling an oil hole in each, swapping the screws for better-looking ones and a bit of a general spit and polish along with all the other parts towards the end of the build.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #232 on: December 08, 2020, 11:09:46 PM »
Really good Gary.

Tapping those small threads can be a tense moment. Although I haven't had too much issue in bronze. Looks like they cam out just fine and dandy!
Stuart

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #233 on: December 08, 2020, 11:16:18 PM »
Gary, do you know which alloy of bronze you used?  They look great, the two halves clamp the side plates when bolted up?

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #234 on: December 08, 2020, 11:18:53 PM »
Thanks Stuart.

Yes indeed! The only way to find out how far you can push small taps is by breaking one or two when you're just starting out.

Hopefully you and I are both past that stage, though I don't want to tempt providence...

I usually use a piloted spindle tap wrench but decided just to do it by eye and feel tonight and it came out ok.

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #235 on: December 08, 2020, 11:25:38 PM »
Gary, do you know which alloy of bronze you used?  They look great, the two halves clamp the side plates when bolted up?

Thanks Chris.

I'm pretty sure it's SAE660 from your friends GLR Kennions, which is where I usually order metal from.

Yes, the idea is as you say - they clamp the side plates. Hopefully tomorrow evening I'll drill the bolt circle holes in the plates for the screws to pass right through, which will take me a step closer to setting it all up unfinished as a test rig and trying the engine on air...

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #236 on: December 09, 2020, 10:47:11 PM »
The locations of the bolt holes in the bearing flange were transferred to the frame by clamping the frame to the mill table raised up on two blocks, dropping the bearing into the main hole, then finding each hole with the drill and drilling through. Dropping the screws into the holes one by one as I drilled them contributed to keeping the alignment. My pictures of this operation in progress turned out blurry so I didn't post them. Here are the resulting holes, though:

The bearings were then fitted to the frame with the bearing flange and the collar clamping the frame between them when the screws were tightened:

Later I'll change the screws for nicer ones and drill oil holes through the collars and bearings on the inside faces of the frame plates.

The engine was temporarily assembled once again but this time with the bearings properly installed:

This enabled me to measure what will be the width of the finished engine. I will now fix the frame sides to a temporary base in the form of this piece of plywood and fit bracing pieces to stabilise the whole thing in preparation for an air test. For this the end of the piston will need to be fitted with a pin which will open and close the valve.

As noted previously my only serious concern at this stage is whether or not the flywheels will have enough momentum to turn the engine over. If they don't, I'll just have to enlarge them...

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #237 on: December 10, 2020, 09:47:42 PM »
Nothin' much really.

Just marking out the temporary baseboard for the test setup:

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #238 on: December 10, 2020, 09:54:13 PM »
It's all time in the shop - and that's good time!
Stuart

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #239 on: December 10, 2020, 10:02:27 PM »
All part of the process...

:ThumbsUp:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal