Author Topic: C57 Japanese 4-6-2 Locomotive and Tender  (Read 16347 times)

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
Re: C57 Japanese 4-6-2 Locomotive and Tender
« Reply #105 on: May 21, 2020, 01:13:40 AM »
Hi John, I’m sorry if my reference was a bit obscure.  It was a mix of ideas from my other hobby, sailing, and the fact that I have had a trailerable boat of some kind for many years.

Put together with my vivid experience of living on Ontario for about 3 1/2 years, even though it was over 40 years ago now.  I was fascinated by that lift lock at Perterborough, 64 ft in one lift I seem to remember, and made a special trip with my young family one weekend to see it.  I even have a photo some where, you know, one of those ancient technology types involving paper and complex chemical processes.

In my reading on the canal generally at the time, casual rather than in depth research, I learned of another lock which had the lifting basin mounted carriage, which ran on an inclined track.  It went up, even going over a road to where it coupled to the upstream section of the canal.  I never managed to make the trip to see that one, such are the limitations of having both a toddler and early primary schooler to carry in the back seat of the car, and long working hours.  My memory is that it was on the same canal somewhere, but perhaps I am mistaken.

An exquisitely detailed model you are building there,

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #106 on: May 21, 2020, 02:15:00 AM »
I've been silently following along John & your eye for detail is second to none. I've really learned a lot about loco's just from your build thread & the methods you use, just fantastic work!  :NotWorthy:

John

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #107 on: May 21, 2020, 10:34:46 AM »
Thank you for your lovely words John. You are very kind.

Hello MJM460 (that sounds so impersonal. I apologize.). Yes,I indeed do understand what you are saying in your last post about chemicals. My dad's hobby was photography and I spent many hours at his elbow as a kid in the darkroom. Later in life I had my own darkroom and was still fascinated watching images appear in the developing tray that I had taken with the enlarger. Then the stop bath and the fixer and on I could go. All gone now. If you mentioned a darkroom today, this generation would think of a room with the lights off.

You are referring to the Trent-Severn Waterway’’s Big Chute Marine Railway near Coldwater Ontario.

Here is a video featuring it:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf32_I-eXXo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf32_I-eXXo</a>

Cheers...John

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #108 on: May 21, 2020, 01:06:40 PM »
Hi Carl,
Sorry I didn't respond to your comment about trim painting. To be honest, I'm not very good at it either.

The saving grace about this model is that the trim pieces are separate pieces of metal that are fastened to the edge of parts. These two pictures of a tender will illustrate.

I spray paint the trim before it ever sees the edge of a mating part. And the new tacky, water based glue makes clean-up much easier.

There is a little trick with that tacky glue however. It really is not that permanent. Yes, it will stck - but over time, it can fail. So I spot apply it to the edge of the trim and apply a tiny drop of CA gel glue in the gaps. The CA glue is not going to squish out all over the place while you fit the part; the white tacky glue gives you some adjustment time, but when things are in place properly, you've covered your bases with a little bit of that strong CA glue as backup.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 01:13:35 PM by J.L. »

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
The Worm Gear
« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2020, 01:12:53 PM »
The worm gear box is well made. And look at that beautifully machined worm!

I plan to load the gearbox with white lithium grease before closing the box.

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2020, 01:17:48 PM »
Hi John, thanks for that video, that certainly sounds like the one.  I am sorry I did not get to see it, but in a big country, you can’t do everything in limited time.  It had to be a day trip from Toronto at the time.

It’s certainly spectacular, I imagine that taking a ride on it would be a really attractive option for people with a boat on the water or on a trailer anywhere in range.  No wonder it’s busy.

I hope that now my tongue in cheek suggestion is clear.  Interesting thing about today’s world, even on a worldwide forum, it in not necessarily easy to guess where people might have travelled.

I have been MJM since a secretary delivered telexes to my desk twice a day, so no need for apologies.  I thought there would be an MJM on the forum when I joined as it is a common enough combination, but I think I saw that an MJM actually registered after I did.  (I just checked, he or she had already joined before I registered, but not very active.)

MJM460
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 01:21:58 PM by MJM460 »
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #111 on: May 21, 2020, 03:37:27 PM »
Hello MJM,
Now that's insteresting. I have been JL since I began teaching at a Public School years ago. I had a friend there with my name  - John Madill. He taught Grade 4.  I taught Grade 6. Whenever a parent called, the secretary would say "Which one?"

So I became JL - Lewis being my middle name.

Here is the gear box. Notice the silicone tube on the shaft. It avoids having to use a universal joint to connect it to the drive shaft of the motor.

Low technology, but if there is not a hang-up, it works.

I did mention it turning into a twisted pretzel when tested on the other model.  ::)

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
The Deflectors
« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2020, 02:30:51 PM »
I'm still waiting for that red LED light to install in the firebox, so I'm preparing other parts in the meantime.

I like the deflectors on the C57. They are very substantial and distinctive. Parts of them are die cast.

You can see the difference in these two shots when you compare the D51 deflectors to those of the C57.

Sorry aboout all the relflections in the D51 shot.  ::) I was too lazy this morning to take off the model's plastic cover.

Speaking of plastic. There is a fellow in Montreal that makes acrylic covers for any kind of model. I was going to get him to make me one for the C57. They are made without any wooden struts to obstruct the view.

But with the demand for plexiglass for faceshields with the pandemic, he can not get any right now.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
LED
« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2020, 06:42:29 PM »
The light arrived!  :cartwheel:

Now this may all be just a tempest in a teapot, but anticipating what we'll end up with is all part of the fun.

The light has a shrink wrappeed portion in its pigtail. I assume that provides the flickering action of the light.

I made an aluminum cowl to house the light.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #114 on: May 22, 2020, 09:54:51 PM »
The Firewall is now installed.  This means that the installation of the cab can now proceed.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
The Cab One
« Reply #115 on: May 23, 2020, 09:06:44 PM »
What a difference the cab makes to the overall look of the engine. It really is a pleasing experience to mount it.

I can see how fellows who have spent months on their boilers and fireboxes long for the day the cab can be mounted and give the engine so much character. I've seen photos of boilers rusting in scrap heaps with no cab. They look so foreign. Naked and stripped of their character.

Oops, getting philosophical there.

I like the green cushions on the seats.

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #116 on: May 24, 2020, 11:38:50 AM »
Hi John

I've just read the thread through it looks an amazing engine kit the quality looks 1st class. Could you tell me what Gauge/scale the engine is.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #117 on: May 24, 2020, 01:03:52 PM »
Stew, the engine and tender are 1:24 scale.

You are right. The kit is high end with parts of brass, steel and die cast metal.

John

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Figures
« Reply #118 on: May 24, 2020, 03:49:03 PM »
When I reached pack 12 of the D51 build last year, I found that there was one part missing - a brass tank that sat on the running board near the cab.

DeAgostini did not just send me the missing part; they sent me a complete pack 12 box! That was a significant bonus for me. Not only did it contain the missing. part, it contained all the ball bearings for the track, a complete set of brass track, all ties and roadbed ballast, and even another motor! The brass track, roadbed ties and ballast were later used in the Occre Adler model (photo 1).

But the kit also came with three very nicely painted figures; a driver, a fireman and a tourist. These figures are not included with the C57 kit. I may use them.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 03:55:55 PM by J.L. »

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #119 on: May 24, 2020, 04:00:32 PM »
The superstructure of the engine is just about complete. Clamps are holding the rafters of the cab in place.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal