Author Topic: C57 Japanese 4-6-2 Locomotive and Tender  (Read 16503 times)

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Re: C57 Japanese 2-6-2 Locomotive and Tender
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2020, 01:26:18 AM »
Yes Per, I am enjoying this build very much.

There are some interesting constructions on the front deck.

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2020, 03:13:05 AM »
Hi John,
It is so very good to see you back again and enjoying another build! I haven't really been active on the Forum and only just noticed your new effort.
As you point out the quality of everything to do with these kits is outstanding. I'll be following along and admiring the work.
Regards, David
Don't die wondering!

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Re: C57 Japanese 4-6-2 Locomotive and Tender
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2020, 03:04:56 PM »
Hello David,

Very nice to hear from you. Thank you for your compliments. It will be great to have you 'aboard'. We'll ride this locomotive right into its display case!

A distinctive difference between the C Class engines and the D class engines is the location of the feedwater heater tank.

On the photo of an actual D class engine and the photo of the D51 model, it is located on top of the smokebox behind the headlight.

On the C57 it is tucked down under the lower deck. I suppose I could have painted its mounting straps white.

I like the grab bars on this engine's lower deck.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 12:55:49 PM by J.L. »

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2020, 01:39:43 PM »
Assembling the frame thus far completes the assembly of parts in Pack 3.

There are 12 packs in the entire build.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 12:56:01 PM by J.L. »

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Packaging
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2020, 02:59:23 PM »
I mentioned that it is a good thing clear plastic is being recycled.

Here is a set of wheels set into deep plastic wells for safe shipping.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Wheel Size
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2020, 03:04:22 PM »
I read somewhere that wheel size determined the tasks given to various engines. Correct me if I'm wrong. Eight drive wheels of the D51 are all of the same small size. These engines were put to use hauling freight.

The six larger drive wheels of the  C57 gave a softer ride and were used on passenter lines.

But look at the difference in these photos. The C57 wheels are as large as the D51's cab!

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Quality
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2020, 03:07:50 PM »
Speaking of wheels, here is an example of fine work.  :ThumbsUp:

DeAgostini also carries a line of metal vehicles. I'm sure the VW and the 'Hippie' VW camper van would be models of high quality as well.

Offline kvom

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2020, 09:48:40 PM »
Larger wheels mean faster speed for the same RPM.  Softness of ride depends on the quality of the track and the suspension in the passenger cars.  The tractive effort of a locomotive is higher with smaller driving wheels as they make the angle of the conrods smaller.  This is important as freight trains are much heavier than passengers trains.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2020, 10:06:12 PM »
Thank you kvom for this explanation.

I must apologize. I have forgotten your actual first name. You have offered many constructive comments on my threads.  For this, I thank you.

John
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 12:56:19 PM by J.L. »

Offline kvom

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2020, 12:34:01 AM »
First name is Kirk.  If you could make it, the Japanese railway museums in Kyoto and Saitama both have collections of Japanese steam locos.  The Kyoto museum has both a C57 and D51 on display as well as a dozen or so others.  Saitama has a C57.  Both these museum are well worth visiting for any railfan.

While the Shinkansen trains in japan are standard gauge, these pre-war locomotives used a narrower gauge (3' 6").
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 12:38:45 AM by kvom »

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2020, 01:49:34 AM »
Thank you Kirk.

Again,very informative information.

Cheers...John
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 12:56:30 PM by J.L. »

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Suspension
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2020, 11:02:08 AM »
I have learned so much about the engineering involved in providing a suspension system for these engines that will compensate for any conditions in the railbed. I think the detail that went into making the parts for this model is what makes me enjoy building it so much.

The whole system would appear to 'float', but it is all carefully designed to be strong and robust. I appreciate the amount of work that went into designing, testing and refining it over the years.

This is probably 'old hat' for those on this site who make locomotives from scratch, but here is how I see it working.

The wheel axle rotates in an axle box that is fastened to leaf springs above. But because the wheels are fastened to the axles on this model, the axle box is split so that it can be clamped around the axle in two pieces. This axle box slides up and down in a track and is held in place being bolted to the leaf springs above.

The leaf springs have straps that come down to equalizing bars that pivot in the middle. On the model, each pivot point is fastened with a bolt running through a 4.5mm long brass bush. Each end of the straps are also bushed.

I went through all this with the other engine, but the penny really dropped for me when I stopped to study the action of the parts more carefully on this model.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 11:10:18 AM by J.L. »

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2020, 04:21:03 PM »
The result...

Note: 
The model is sitting on a piece of micro fibre cloth I borrowed from my wife. I quickily discovered that it has an affinity for small, often lost parts. So if you are assembling something with a host of very small items, try using one. It will not only cushion your work, but save you a lot of time crawliong around on the floor looking for little parts with a flashlight. It grabs little nuts and bolts like a magnet!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 12:56:42 PM by J.L. »

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2020, 08:58:46 PM »
I'm really enjoying this build John.  :ThumbsUp: I'm also amazed at the quality of the kit. I noticed on the manufacturer's website that it's sold out.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2020, 10:33:57 PM »
Thank you Jim. I must apologize for not keeping an eye on what you are about on the site. Will correct that.

The three wheels are now commected. No drive system hooked up yet, but getting the three links together required care. There are brass bushings of different sizes involved in securing the bolts to the wheels and central pin.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 12:56:55 PM by J.L. »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal