Author Topic: C-612 Horizontal Steam Engine  (Read 10122 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: C-612 Horizontal Steam Engine
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2020, 04:26:50 PM »
Jo you could use a taper pin to keep the wrist pin in place, usual way is to have the taper pin hole kiss the edge of the pin if just retaining with no load.

Looks like you will be getting a fondle tonight ;)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2020, 04:29:53 PM »
Jo you could use a taper pin to keep the wrist pin in place, usual way is to have the taper pin hole kiss the edge of the pin if just retaining with no load.

The easier way is to use a hand reamer and not go all the way through and to use the taper part of the reamer to leave the end of the hole tight  :wine1:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2020, 03:36:42 PM »
On to the valve rod and eccentric.

The bronze valve rod is tackled in a similar way to the connecting rod: Drill and ream the small end and bore the larger diameter. It can then be clamped around something and swung in the lathe to take the eccentric end to thickness, making sure to do it evenly to keep the main rod central. The outside can then be rounded on a rotary table before finishing with some hand filing.

The eccentric is cast Iron and had previously been held by the boss and had been bored to fit the crankshaft. This hole is now used to mount the eccentric on a circular jig, with an offset hole drilled at the correct distance out for the crank throw and that can be held in a chuck for turning the larger diameter of the eccentric. It was mounted on a 12.7mm piece of bar to machine the faces to thickness.

As you can see I chose to leave a little boss on the inside of the eccentric. On the GA it shows that this boss rubs on the side of the bearing but clearly the casting was not wide enough for it to line up and rub  :noidea:

Not much left now  :pinkelephant:

Jo

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2020, 05:22:42 PM »
Coming along nicely :cheers:   Terry

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2020, 04:09:52 PM »
Thank you Terry  :)

To enable me to keep access to the CHUK 1 castings I am having to provide evidence of progress to someone ::) So here is today's

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2020, 04:33:17 PM »
Was that one of the "duck egg blues" that was not? Makes a change from the usual dark greens and reds anyway.

Don't forget the holes in the mounting lugs before you get it all assembled :-[ or are you just going to put it on the shelf as is rather than involve the brown stuff?

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2020, 02:14:30 PM »
Coming together nicely Jo, it’s a nice clean design that looks really nice.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2020, 04:35:16 PM »
Thanks Craig,

On the original Coles advertisement the engine has a stop valve on the inlet with a rather pretty handle. These are normally castings but they can also be made by soldering together a centre and 6 rings all of the same diameter. With a magic ring round the outside to hold them together these can then be silver soldered together.

The Ball shaped valve was turned up out of a piece of hex and a ball turner used to give it its shape. The valve was then mounted on the engine the top marked and that side drilled and tapped for a spindle and its glands. With the spindle in place it can be drilled through for the steam/air.

The Ball valve inlet has been tapped 1/4 BSP which means an airline adaptor fits  :wine1:

Jo

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2020, 05:50:53 PM »
Nice :cheers:

Offline Mike Bondarczuk

« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2020, 09:02:46 PM »
Hi Jo,

That engine is coming along very nicely and I do really like your choice of colours, which I have not seen before on any of your engines, or any other engine in fact.

Well done and looking forward to seeing and hearing it running soon  :pinkelephant:.

Mike
"Everything I can't find is in a totally secure place"

Offline samc88

« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2020, 09:09:47 AM »
Nice looking engine. The colour is similar to the old land rover engine blocks

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2020, 01:40:42 PM »
Thanks Guys, we've had a quick first run:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kU9AdgbALE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kU9AdgbALE</a>

Now I need to fix the compressor   :Doh: and then I can re-negotiate access to those CHUK castings  ::)

Jo

P.S. Yes it is just like a Landy's engine paint job it shows up all the oil  :facepalm:

Offline samc88

« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2020, 01:56:44 PM »
Looks to be running well Jo

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2020, 05:42:40 PM »
Very nice engine and runnig well as expected from yourself. :ThumbsUp:  Good job.         Terry

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2020, 06:42:38 PM »
Thanks Sam and Terry  :)

The good news is I have fixed the compressor and it is now working much quieter than it was before  :) now that I can vary the air supply so I will have to see if I am allowed to take the engine back out for another run.

In the meantime someone has been admiring his new engine and I am hoping for an equally quiet night's sleep as he should be busy with it rather than moving the castings round as he has been every night since the non delivery of his Snickers Ice creams  :toilet_claw:

I feel a new engine build coming on  :whoohoo:

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal