Author Topic: A missing sleeve.  (Read 904 times)

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
A missing sleeve.
« on: April 15, 2020, 11:47:03 AM »
Good morning All.

Many will know that I have been in the " game " for 40+ years, operating some quite vintage equipment.

It was decided that whilst the present situation is ongoing I and my two youngest son's would tackle the Barker type " B " castings that my dear friend Vincent had been " sitting " on for nearly 3 decades.

The only machine capable of this is my 1930's Denbigh " Universal "  milling machine that was last used in vertical mode some 20 years back. The head can carry a variety of large capacity cutters and also a Clarkson type " C " collet chuck. To my disappointment, the compression sleeve that fits between the chuck body and the collets has gone missing. I must add that the vertical headstock has been modified to take a very unusual taper, resembling an ISO 30 style but not, if you know what I mean? I was told it was an 1, 3/8" taper??

To the point, can anyone here in the UK recommend a good secondhand machine tool dealer that might be able to help me replace the missing sleeve?

Cheers Graham.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: A missing sleeve.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 12:23:44 PM »
An 1" 3/8" non stick taper, the taper Denbigh thought would take over the world.  :-X

The compression sleeve has two pins that stick out  :thinking: What size is it?

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 12:36:41 PM »
Hi Graham,

Might be worth trying Stevens in Smethwick like a super sized Version of what Graham engineering was like.

http://www.stevensmachinetools.co.uk/

I was able to source many parts for my 1930s Ward 2A capstan lathe about 15 years ago.

Andy

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 01:08:00 PM »
I and my two youngest son's would tackle the Barker type " B " castings that my dear friend Vincent had been " sitting " on for nearly 3 decades.

That's the one that takes your eyebrows off isn't it :o

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6jlYVstcbo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6jlYVstcbo</a>

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 01:24:44 PM »
An 1" 3/8" non stick taper, the taper Denbigh thought would take over the world.  :-X

The compression sleeve has two pins that stick out  :thinking: What size is it?

Jo

Hi Jo.

That's very interesting, I sometimes wondered whether Alex was " having me on " but you've just confirmed it! However perhaps Denbigh did get it right, you can't tell the two apart very easily ( ISO 30 and 1 3/8" )

The type " C " collets have the pins, the sleeve is just a tube with an internal taper to compress the collet.

I've sourced some pictures from eBay, in fact the whole chuck is available, in its box with 4 Metric collets and nose spanner for £40.00 but on an ISO 40 taper. Depending on what else is available that might be my most serious answer.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 01:41:27 PM »
Andy.

Thanks for that, I'll give them a ring.

Graham Engineering, West Bromwich. Eeee, those were the days. We used to make many a pilgrimage there. My most used tool, an 8" Sandvic plate mill is actually in the vertical head of the Denbigh right now was bought from them. They also bulk supplied me with those little Taiwanese drip feed oilers.

Jason.

Yes, but not quite. I'm going to finish what Vincent started ( cylinder, piston and cylinder head were already done by him ) I'm guessing that he was going to ask me to put the bed and flywheels onto my Denbigh.

The one we're working on is a 3/4 HP version with 14 1/2" diameter, curved spoke flywheels.

By fitting a specially modified " Face plate " the Denbigh becomes a Lathe with an exceptionally deep gap!

I will be starting a build log here in the next few days.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 02:52:02 PM »
No joy from Smethwick Andy, just get diverted to a mobile number.

Do you think you might have a spare sleeve Jo?

Cheers Graham.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 03:24:30 PM »
I'm waiting for Eric to get back to me.

There is a guy on Fleabay who has two C type collet chucks forsale without collets, so he is unlikely to get any interest. Says he is going to list the collets later separately, you might be lucky https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clarkson-autolock-40-Inter-Small-C-Type-Chuck/164155552359?hash=item26386ef267:g:H-UAAOSw3tBdNNKC try sending him a message, he might sell the taper on its own.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 04:21:06 PM »
Thanks Jo, message sent.

:ThumbsUp:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal