Author Topic: Things to do under Lockdown.  (Read 22934 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
Re: Things to do under Lockdown.
« Reply #165 on: November 05, 2020, 10:06:46 AM »
Metric or imperial Jo - it doesn't matter what you chose  ::), Millimetres, centimetres or inches the result is the same - a rather alarming vision of reality in front of your eyes  :o. Obviously the younger you are when you do it the less impact it will have  ;).

Looking at 70 inches gone and, all things being equal, just thirteen left was a salutary experience. It's the visual comparison that gets you (well it did me!) It did have an immediate impact on my outlook from that point onwards - a positive one to make the best of everything.

Incidentally, I've shown this to quite a few friends and relations all save one who have taken it in the same light - 'number of inches left' often coming into the conversation. The one? well, a more than glass half empty kind of person,  he took it the other way and has spent the time pondering how little he has left. I certainly didn't do him a favour when I showed him this  >:(

Of course theres always the possibility of living longer than the average age, which I hope we will all do. I intend to get to ninety nine. I once had a diving doctor say to me at my yearly medical -'You are a very fit man Mr Wilson you will live till you are ninety nine' 'I will hold you to that Doctor' I replied and have every intention of doing so. That said of course I was in my late thirties (ha remember them) at the time. Fast approaching 76 I'm not quite so confident the energy levels will see me there  ;D

So on that note I'm off to the workshop to make best of another 64th of an inch. Lockdown Lockdown? bring it on, lets get the lathe fired up, I have a project to finish and another to start and yes in that order :Lol:

Regards Jo and to all - 'Ol' Tug  :old:
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Laurentic

• Nr Yeovil, Somerset, England
« Reply #166 on: November 05, 2020, 11:50:42 AM »
"I am never satisfied with what I do, I know I can always do better and learning how to do better is enjoyable in itself." says Jo.

I have a certain affinity with that comment.  Coming into this hobby late on I am still learning as I go, how to machine better finishes, to closer tollerances, better methods of work holding, more organised order of work machining, creeping up on final measurements and not overshooting, etc etc.  My first engine I must have built each component at least twice if not some three times or more, as dis-satifaction or errors in machining items consigned them to the scrap bin.  I am slowly improving, and when something goes exactly as planned that gives me great satisfaction, but I still have a long way to go, so I will go on "learning how to do better" for quite some time yet.

I also did the age (74) on the tape measure trick - really sobering looking back and then forward, even if one can convince oneself that 83 does not apply to me, I'm on to at least somewhere in the 90's.  In my dreams.  Keeping well clear of the rona but, just to be sure!

Chris

Online Twizseven

« Reply #167 on: November 05, 2020, 05:40:22 PM »
In my family on my fathers side, my grandmother and her six sisters all went to early/mid 90's.  His sister went to 98 and my father should hit 100 next July.
My grandparents on my mothers side both went to mid 90's.  My mother let the side down at 63.  I'm hoping the genes are on my side and the tape is around 98-100 inches :).  70 at present.

I think I'll need all the years I can get just to manage the 9 or 10 casting sets in my stash. If I had a stash like Jo I think I'd need to be reincarnated several times to complete them all.

If it wasn't for daily leaf/acorn collections I might be able to get in the workshop. Hoping to start the Alyn Foundry Robinson Hot Air engine soon.

Colin

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #168 on: November 16, 2020, 05:45:06 PM »
To keep me from going scatty  :insane: or worrying about covid I have taken to trying to understand this new messenger RNA vaccine technology and I must say it is rather impressive 8)

But what is really interesting is that the same technology looks like it could be used against cancer :whoohoo:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #169 on: November 16, 2020, 06:24:25 PM »
To keep me from going scatty  :insane: or worrying about covid I have taken to trying to understand this new messenger RNA vaccine technology and I must say it is rather impressive 8)

But what is really interesting is that the same technology looks like it could be used against cancer :whoohoo:

Jo
It is amazing the advances they have been making, hope they can keep it going!

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #170 on: November 21, 2020, 01:49:36 PM »

Jo
I have a feeling that cancer is one of the least of the breakthroughs it will lead to. On the other hand I have been reading science fiction for over 70 years.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #171 on: November 24, 2020, 12:45:52 PM »
The end is Nigh is in sight1 so we need to make the most of these lockdowns by this time next year it will be back to normal  :whoohoo: ... We will have our model shows again   :cartwheel: We will be able to visit our friends  :cheers: 

Life will return to a new normal which means reduced time in the workshop due to all that essential shopping we missed out on  :facepalm:

Jo

1. The AZD1222 Oxford/Vaccitech Vaccine world wide roll out plan has been published  :ThumbsUp:

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #172 on: November 27, 2020, 02:10:33 PM »
Since lockdown has turned up the dial on web based interaction, such as Zoom and Teams meetings, both my Dad and I now have cameras in our workshops. I have been having routine web calls with my folks for quite some time, but now outside of that my Dad and I have our own chats, workshop to workshop. These are tremendous fun, with lots of holding parts up to the camera, describing latest acquisitions, talking about benefits of tooling, how to get around and solve difficult set ups, and possibly my favourite bit "what I made a mess of lately", which is always good for some chuckles.

I heartily recommend this approach of getting on camera with someone you know, it really lifts our spirits, and lets us geek out on things we enjoy.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #173 on: November 27, 2020, 07:31:18 PM »
People often relax their vigilance when near home after a long trip. I pray that none of us or our loved ones do so with a vaccine "just around the corner."

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #174 on: December 18, 2020, 12:00:31 PM »
Here in the UK the "Lockdown 2" has finished and we are preparing for our Covid Christmas celebrations pre vaccination, with the numbers of people with the horrid infection increasing and sadly the ever increasing number who did not survive it :( Across my country we have complicated Tier system to inform us of what we are allowed to do (by Law) to prevent further infections but for 5 days over Christmas we have been told the restrictions are being dropped and so long as you do not have more than 3 households in your house you can have a multi household celebration. So what to do? There seems to be two groups of opinion on this:

1, Those who are dying for Christmas and looking forward to getting together   :whoohoo:

2, Those who are concerned that there is a real risk of getting an unintended Christmas present of Covid  :paranoia: only a month or so before they are going to get the jab

So I was wondering what people are planning to do over their Christmas.

Jo

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #175 on: December 18, 2020, 12:07:33 PM »
No multi home celebrations at our house. We’re steering clear of folks. Will have video get togethers and a quiet Christmas. I have lost co workers to the covid, so we’re not risking it. Christmas Eve I’ll get some shed time, which is a win of sorts.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #176 on: December 18, 2020, 12:13:24 PM »
1, Those who are dying for Christmas and looking forward to getting together   :whoohoo:

As I see it, there are those dying for Christmas and those who will be dying because of Christmas.  We are not risking it. We plan to continue our isolation as before and celebrate a late Christmas as and when. If we were thirty or forty years younger it may have been a different decision

Stay apart and stay safe

Mike
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 12:40:49 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline AVTUR

• West of England
« Reply #177 on: December 18, 2020, 12:47:24 PM »
I was due to go to my nephew and niece for Christmas day. They were then going to see their parents on the other side of England, collect a new, to them, car and drive back two days after Boxing day. These plans have been kicked into touch and they will be doing a rushed visit to their parents. At least they won't be travelling by train (the railway system is being hit hard by the virus in England).

I will stay at home for Christmas and, if it is not too cold, continue wrecking part of the workshop prior to a refurbishment.

I am still in tier 3 and my cousin has had his first vaccination this morning.

AVTUR
There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #178 on: December 18, 2020, 02:59:16 PM »
.... my cousin has had his first vaccination this morning.

8) That is the first person I have heard has had it so there is hope for the rest of us  :old: we won't be long and then we will get our freedom back :whoohoo:

I am having a "stay home alone" Christmas and have had no say over my Parents having their only (teenage) grandchild and his mother stay over Xmas. I just hope they don't bring any extra unintended presents to give their grandparents :stickpoke:

Jo

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #179 on: December 18, 2020, 05:33:07 PM »
As my Corliss journey comes to an end I do have plans for the future - but getting Covid definitely does not figure in them! Isolation then is very much on the cards for Sue and I even though we are in a relatively safe (virus wise) part of the country

We do know of people who have succumbed - the treasurer of our Para association went down with it and was hospitalised. An ex Falklands vet in his late fifties or so he described it as a very unpleasant experience.

So no festivities in the 'tugandsue' household this year just a nod to the day and get in the ol' comfort zone I guess  ;)

Whatever you do, however, take heed of Government advice  ;)

Merry Xmas to all - have as good a time as you can.

Ol Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal