Author Topic: Things to do under Lockdown.  (Read 22933 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Things to do under Lockdown.
« on: April 11, 2020, 10:59:51 AM »
As all of us are finding we have a lot of time on our hands and do not necessarily want to be in the workshop I thought it might be worth opening a thread about other things to do:

This morning as I sat eating my breakfast I was serenaded by a very, very loud Wren who was easily spotted sat on the feeding stand outside my dining room doors about 6m away from me.

Learning bird song is something I keep meaning to do and some time ago I managed to find a website that had all the common UK bird song and had down loaded it to try to learn them... Of course no one has enough time for such good intentions until now. So I decided to find the Wren song in my recordings and see if it was the same. It was and even better the Wrens in my garden replied to it  :cartwheel:

I have tried various bird songs: most will get a response and the best bit is I know what type of birds are responding to me  :whoohoo:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
Re: Things to do under Lockdown.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 12:01:08 PM »
As all of us are finding we have a lot of time on our hands and do not necessarily want to be in the workshop

Who are you, and what have you done with the real Jo?

:mischief: :mischief:

PDR
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline Del_61

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 12:42:20 PM »
Hi everyone

It seems now is the right time.....

I have complete volumes of ME from late 60's through to 1999. They take up so much space and I am thinking of a cull....which breaks my heart.

Option 1 do nothing but put up with them taking up the space...a few articles are interesting but so many are not.

Option 2 cut out and remove those articles that I find useful and collate into one or two indexable files, and discard the rest.

I am not and never have been interested in building locos, my interests are clocks, tools, stationary engines and anything by G H Thomas and Tubal Cain.

So started looking at 1966 and 1967...so much verbiage about miniature loco's, apart from the odd article by Duplex and E T Westbury there is nothing that is worth keeping....

I am interested in ideas and suggestions but also what do others do with their piles of ME magazines. I don't think volumes of these are worth much to be honest....even less if i have cut a load of articles out of them!

I am looking at option 2..with thought think of all the space I will have.

Regards to all and keep healthy

Del

Offline RayW

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 01:23:37 PM »
I have the same dilemma as Del, with Stationary Engine magazines going back many years. I refer to them on the very rare occasion and, sad to say, they will probably end up in the recycling bin unless I hear of anyone who would like them.
Ray

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 02:08:29 PM »
Hello Jo,

Just for you.

Here is a link to a camera recording the nest of a pair of Ospreys in Cumbria. They have built their nest, paired, but yet to lay the eggs. Suprisingly, they both seem to leave the nest unattended at times during the day and most nights.
https://www.cumbriawildlifetrust.org.uk/wildlife/cams/osprey-cam

Scroll down for the camera feed

Stay strong

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 02:09:51 PM »
I have a great many Model Engineers the ones prior to WW II don't contain much at all, after the War the style changes, Westbury takes over and there is about 50 years worth that there is normally something worth reading in each, after the Millennium I continued supplementing their publishing cost until after about 10 years I realised it took me longer to put the magazine in the binders than it did to flick through/read them  :disappointed:

Really what is needed is for someone to digitise all of them, then we can all get some model display space back  :)

I know the publishers now do digital versions but they seemed to up date their magazine reader and no longer can I print them to pdf to keep the articles I want to read on to paper to enjoy with a  :DrinkPint:

Jo

Offline Del_61

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 02:50:21 PM »
Hi Jo

Yes it is bizarre that if you can access the digital versions its not easy to print off a hard copy of a particular article.

I am going to cut out what interests me and keep and possibly scan as well those that do interest me.

Seems a good excuse to crack on with this with a glass of something  :wine1:

Regards

Derek

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 02:56:32 PM »
Great idea for an interesting thread Jo.

Here's another link to an Osprey nest camera: https://www.ci.independence.or.us/it/page/osprey-nest-live-stream It's along the Willamette River in Independence, Oregon about a mile from where I live.

We only use our television to watch the news, so I'm able to display it the rest of the time. Really interesting.

Jim
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 02:59:50 PM by Flyboy Jim »
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Ginger Nut

• Woolnwood
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 11:34:32 PM »
Aside from the Crows obviously hanging around due to road kill or is it Corona victims.
Kookaburra off in the distance, along with Currwong, chirping of minors , Magpie digging up grubs from the lawn. Somewhere in amoung all is tge sound of Parrota foregoing off blooming necture.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2020, 07:41:56 AM »
Del, hold onto those old MEs just in case there is another run on toilet paper at the supermarkets.

If you have a current subscription then read the mag via Pocketmags which is not only a better viewer than the site's one it allows printing of upto 2 pages at a time.

Well my Bonsai have never been so pruned and pampered and the flower beds are looking very weed free as the nice weather has drawn me outdoors and even the koi are active again now the temps are starting to rise.

I'm also making fast progress on the latest 24mm bore own design engine and have even been doing a bit on the Hoglet I started years ago, at this rate there could be another two running engines by the end of the month.

ChuckKey

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 08:16:32 AM »
As all of us are finding we have a lot of time on our hands ...
Where? I have enough gardening to keep me fully occupied for the next month. There is a backlog of decorating for wet days, if I am allowed to buy paint.

Daggers

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2020, 09:48:57 AM »
I had the same problem with the model engineer magazine, too many taking up too much space.
After mulling over the problem I decided to donated them to the local model engineering society. TheY used a number of volumes to fill in the missing years in their reference library and now have many volumes to loan to members, including me.
I did keep a small number of volumes mostly of the 1970’s & a few classic issues by GHT, Tubal Cain.

Keep Safe

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2020, 10:45:28 AM »
As all of us are finding we have a lot of time on our hands ...
Where? I have enough gardening to keep me fully occupied for the next month. There is a backlog of decorating for wet days, if I am allowed to buy paint.

Gardening takes a lot of my time as well :) I have just finished sieving 45 30cm pots of soil from my compost heap ready for my tomatoes, peppers and cues. While the greenhouse mainly has the flowers growing in it, my conservatory has all the fruit plants and yes I managed to finish decorating it just before the plant invasion  ;)

The other member of my household has been "tidying up" his casting cupboard and has been rehousing his castings in unlabelled smoked plastic boxes. This means not only do I no longer have an idea where specific casting sets are but there is no longer an opportunity of getting a quick glimpse of the sets if the door is left open to remind me what might be in there  :wallbang: :pinkelephant:

Jo

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2020, 11:05:05 AM »
I like your cushions  and mats.   I think there is affection for the brown stuff lurking deep within you  :o

Stay well,

Rod

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2020, 11:11:19 AM »
I like your cushions  and mats.  I think there is affection for the brown stuff lurking deep within you  :o

Stay well,

Rod

That'll be the choccies then  I expect  .....  :Lol:

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal