Author Topic: Things to do under Lockdown.  (Read 23057 times)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Things to do under Lockdown.
« Reply #150 on: November 01, 2020, 04:44:05 PM »
How long is the Lock down going to last, does it affect the whole country or only parts?

Dave

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #151 on: November 01, 2020, 05:06:05 PM »
How long is the Lock down going to last, does it affect the whole country or only parts?

At least until the 2nd December  :-\

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #152 on: November 01, 2020, 05:27:06 PM »
The whole county or just parts of it?

Dave

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #153 on: November 01, 2020, 05:37:56 PM »
The whole county or just parts of it?

Just England so yes the whole country but the UK is Four Countries: England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, and they each are doing Covid their own way  :facepalm:

Jo

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #154 on: November 01, 2020, 06:20:39 PM »

I am never satisfied with what I do, I know I can always do better and learning how to do better is enjoyable in itself. If fondling your finished engines gives you pleasure feel free to do so. I enjoy examining things and thinking about how to do things as much as the doing itself. Once it is done - its done   :shrug:

That's not a criticism Jo (or Mike) but more an observation of your signatures and my own outlook.  If you are happy with never being satisfied then that's fine. Can't say I can understand it as a concept to what we do :shrug: but certainly feel that way at odd times myself when I think I could have done something better - however, it's not a constant state of mind. Quite agree though - 'once it's done its done' but for the most part it does have to be done (for me).

One thing I should make clear perhaps (before it becomes an urban myth) is that whilst I have taken finished (and not so finished) projects out for display, or show to friends or even for the odd run for myself I have never, ever, felt the need to fondle them - that's not something I reserve for the workshop  :lolb:

Best regards - Tug

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #155 on: November 01, 2020, 07:10:41 PM »
My signoff "It is the journey that matters, not the destination" is as much an observation on 'life' as anything.

We will all reach our final destination ("the wooden overcoat") one day, so reach out, embrace and enjoy every day of life's journey.

It can equally be applied to the 'big' long duration projects I prefer to take on. Each finished part is it's own milestone on that journey.

Mike
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 07:38:56 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #156 on: November 01, 2020, 07:47:38 PM »
Projects are all about aquiring bits , maybe starting some, but definitely not for finishing.    :facepalm: :facepalm:

Well as far as life itself is concerned Mike I couldn't agree more, I embrace it every minute of the day :)

A finished part however maybe a milestone but it's not the end of the road, just a waymarker. As each year passes and I move closer to the end of the perch too I would much prefer to leave behind something more tangible than just 'bits'.

That said I have no idea what will happen to my stuff, finished or bits - I have no one (relatives that is) to leave it to so whilst it's being made for my own satisfaction at present it's actually just being made for someone else to enjoy - still prefer to leave it to them finished though, whoever they might be ;D

Regards - Tug

Offline gadabout

« Reply #157 on: November 01, 2020, 08:21:01 PM »
Ramon,
 I admire all of you work, anytime I see a post or comment with your name I open it with much delight! Your work is amazing!
 I did notice somewhere you had an unfinished Bentley, are you planning to finish this off
regards
Mark

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #158 on: November 01, 2020, 08:55:57 PM »
My signoff "It is the journey that matters, not the destination" is as much an observation on 'life' as anything.

We will all reach our final destination ("the wooden overcoat") one day, so reach out, embrace and enjoy every day of life's journey.

It can equally be applied to the 'big' long duration projects I prefer to take on. Each finished part is it's own milestone on that journey.

Mike

Hence the name of my boat...."Rushforth and chase your dreams for you know not what tomorrow brings"
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #159 on: November 01, 2020, 10:25:57 PM »
Well, I now have another thing to add to my list of things to do under lockdown. It seems that alcohol sales has gone up in this time under Covid. So I'm making a batch of home brew. It is my own formulation of an IPA based loosely on Goose Islands Imperial 49, a double IPA. I tweaked the 5 hops they used till I liked it. My friend who's measure of a good beer is that it is under 25 IBU's, his glowing affirmation is that he says this is my best batch yet. This one should be 7.3 ABV, 53 IBU's and 13.8 SRM. The hops are Calypso, Cascade, Chinook, Galaxy and Amarillo. If anyone has time on your hands under covid lockdown and wants to give it a try PM me for the recipe.
Cheers :cheers: :DrinkPint:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #160 on: November 01, 2020, 10:33:10 PM »
I used to do a lot of home brewing. Great hobby with drinkable results!  :DrinkPint:

But - too many things going on. Still have all my equipment though. Might make a batch again some day.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #161 on: November 01, 2020, 10:47:33 PM »
......... I did notice somewhere you had an unfinished Bentley, are you planning to finish this off

Hello Mark,

Honest answer to that is I really don't know. I have made quite a lot of it and it's near ready for basic assembly but needs the rings making (they've all been roughed and cut off) before the pistons can be finished. If I could find the enthusiasm to do that then then assembly could begin.

Trouble is at this point in time, due to other factors,  I have very little desire to do so and can't really see it coming to the fore anytime soon.

Apologies - but I can't be any more specific than that I'm afraid.

Mike - on my seventieth birthday I was shown something by my last boss that had a huge impact at the time and has remained so on my outlook ever since. We were talking about his retirement and I commented that you only get one go at it. 'Tell me about' he said and taking a tape measure from the shelf laid out about 90 inches of it across the saw support. 'Here he said - put your thumb on the number of inches you are old'

I did so at 70 naturally. 'Now' he says 'Put your other thumb on 83 inches'. Followed his instruction. He continues - 'The average age of the male in the UK is around 83 years. From seventy back to zero is what you've had - from 70 to 83 is what you've got left'.

Believe me when you actually physically do this and see the difference the effect is immediate and sobering :o

To put that into perspective I've already used near six of those inches :o  - I like to think though that every 64th of them has been put to good use  :)

Regards - Ramon

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #162 on: November 05, 2020, 08:09:07 AM »
I loved the Matt cartoon this morning: It shows Guy Fawkes sitting in front of some barrels as he is found and claiming "Gunpowder? No I am stock piling loo roll"

Edit: Tug I am a metric person my tape measure goes to 100cm (my family are long lived) if I hold the tape on my age  :embarassed: it tells me I am still middle aged and there is still the same to go   ;)

Jo
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 08:43:52 AM by Jo »

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #163 on: November 05, 2020, 08:57:40 AM »
[/i]

Edit: Tug I am a metric person my tape measure goes to 100cm (my family are long lived)

That's a bit of a short tape Jo, My shortest are 3m (10ft) going to 8m. Though as you are talking cm rather than m or mm as an engineer would that must be your cross stitch tape :LittleDevil:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #164 on: November 05, 2020, 10:01:25 AM »
 :thinking: Why am I now humming that child's ditty about My friend Billy

Jo

Best play it safe and avoid women yielding rakes  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal

Database Error

Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.
Back