Author Topic: First Electronic Version of Model Engine Builder is being released.  (Read 6489 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Mike and Toni have started the release of MEB #28 which is the new electronic version of the Magazine.   4 articles have been released thus far including articles on Oil Control rings, Hollow lost wax casting, graduating dials, and machining a flywheel.  Other articles are coming.

I have looked at the oil control ring and graduating dial articles and they seem just as they should be for the high quality articles that MEB always puts out, just electronic  PDF files now.

I will continue with my subscription and wish Mike and Toni the best of luck with this effort!

I am in now way associated with MEB other than to be a satisfied customer of their magazine.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Bill_S.

Re: First Electronic Version of Model Engine Builder is being released.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 03:32:16 PM »
Dave,

Thanks for the heads-up.  Did you happen to get any notification from MEB that the #28 was out?

Bill

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 03:54:12 PM »
Yes  I got an email

Dave
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 12:27:25 AM by steamer »
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 03:57:54 PM »
While not a subscriber to MEB, I suspect we should all get use to this format as it will likely be the "new normal" in the not too distant future.

Bill

Offline Bill_S.

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 04:44:26 PM »
Thanks Dave.  I received an email from MEB before I was able to check back here.   :cartwheel:

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 05:30:46 PM »
I downloaded mine, but the problem I have is my IPAD will not open all of them. So have to use the computer to read them.

Don

Offline Groomengineering

• Kansas US
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 07:02:09 PM »
Unfortunately Linux uses a different version of Adobe Reader than windows so I have to reboot into win7 to view them.  Not a big deal but a real PITA.  :killcomputer:  Anyone with Mac OS X (Linux based) having the same problem?

Cheers

Jeff
Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.

Offline Bill_S.

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 08:56:55 PM »
Interesting... I have no problem on my PC, but my ipad won't let me log in at MEB, or view the files on my iPad3.

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
I have been in communication with Mike Rehmus regarding the problems with Linux. He is using the very latest bleeding-edge version of Adobe Acrobat (version 11).
Adobe has decided to stop supporting linux, and the latest version available from Adobe is 9.5.1. I normally use an open-source viewer on PDF files, but that is incompatible too.
I suspect most of the problem is due to the fact that the documents are password-protected.

Mike is going to try some different settings with Acrobat when he returns to the office on Monday, and I have agreed to test files.

Even Windows and Mac  OS X users will probably have to upgrade their acrobat reader to the very latest version.

As for myself, I haven't had a version of Windows in my house since Windows 95...

--Tim

Offline rgrfifer

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 12:22:12 AM »
I am running Linux, and initially had a problem opening the files.
If you open them with Google Chrome, they open fine.
Hope this helps.

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 01:05:00 AM »
rgrfifer,
   Bingo! I have not used Chrome to this point, but on your note, I downloaded it and it opens the MEB files without a hitch. I'll email Mike Rehmus and let him know of at least this solution for any Linux users (or others) who may be having problems.

Mike is very helpful and I'm sure he wants to make this transition to the electronic MEB a success. He'd probably appreciate hearing any (kindly worded) reports about problems anyone is having on this first electronic release.

Thanks again, rgrfifer.

--Tim

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 01:18:34 AM »
While not a subscriber to MEB, I suspect we should all get use to this format as it will likely be the "new normal" in the not too distant future.

Bill

If that's the case, I wonder will there be a substantial price reduction? There are no printing or distribution costs with this method of publishing.

A curious bystander
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 04:23:41 AM »
To read MEB on the iPad, download the new Adobe Reader app from the app store. Works perfectly. If you have (or create) an Adobe account, you can save the articles to your cloud. Thanks to Toni and Mike for allowing saves.
Best
Stan
Best,
Stan

Offline Bill_S.

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 05:10:19 AM »
Stan, or anyone with an iPad, could you check if the files for "Machining a Flywheel" and "Making Dials" -- show all the pages, on your iPad using the Adobe app?

Like you, the only way I've been able to open these files, on my iPad 3, is using the Adobe app.  However page 4 (page 19 of the issue) of the "Machining a Flywheel" appears completely blank on my iPad (it should be a schematic).  Additionally, several pages of "Making dials" - are completely blank when opened on my iPad.  The other two articles seem to work fine on my iPad.   :shrug:  All of the files display properly on my PC.   

Bill
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 05:15:38 AM by Bill_S. »

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 06:31:48 AM »
Correct. The full articles are there followed by some blanks then the 3D render. Looks like some growing pains. Hopefully they'll have those fixed when the entire Issue 28 is complete. It will be higher resolution and printable.
Best,
Stan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal