Author Topic: Blower needed??  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Barneydog

• Just outside Leicester, United KIngdom
Blower needed??
« on: April 04, 2020, 11:08:51 PM »
Hi all,
As my Simplex loco is nearing completion especially with all the extra shop time that coronavirus lockdown has given me I have a query. Because I have a lung condition I have decided not to run my engi e fired by coal but rather to use propane gas. I have an automatic pressure control valve that increases the gas flow as boiler pressure drops and am hopefully fabricating my burners soon. My question is:-
When running on gas do I need a blower? My personal thought is that it is unneccessary as it is used to make more draught to make coal burn hotter. I would guess it would not have the same effect on gas.

Thoughts and answers please

Cheers

Jules

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Blower needed??
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 11:46:55 PM »
I dont have experience with larger scales, but my Gauge 1 locos which run on butane do not need a blower, they draw air in through the side holes at the burner, and the force of the gas flow starts everything up and through the stack.  When the gas flow is turned up/down, the air flow goes with it.  Still need proper ventilation/being outdoors, but at least it does not have the particulates that coal does. Does not have that nice coal fire smell though...

Offline rspringer

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 03:35:19 AM »
My experience is with 7.5 gauge locomotives and vertical boilers. I have a 5 inch diameter vertical boiler with a round burner, much like a stove burner.  I do not have to use the blower, but with a small amount of blower it performs much better. The vertical boiler having a natural chimney effect.  On the locomotives with a horizontal boiler the blower must be in use constantly, without it the draft is just not there.  The trick is to have just enough draft to evacuate the exhaust gas and not so much as to pull in cold air.  When running the blower is not needed and you may find that the exhaust blast is too much.  I have seen some with the blast nozzle mounted high in the stack to reduce draft.   The smaller I.E gauge one burners are more of a jet blowing down a tube.  Hope this helps.  My Shay has about 9 burners in a grid in the firebox.  I do not have an arch, although many recommend installing one.
Rod

Offline Barneydog

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 11:22:35 PM »
Thanks. Blower is mostly fitted so might as well plumb it in

Offline Barneydog

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 06:59:03 PM »
Hi rspringer, what burners are you using? Did you buy them or make them yourself?

Hi crueby, thanks for reply.

Plumbed up the blower in the smokebox yesterday along with all the other plumbing in there. Will plumb blower connection on backhead tomorrow.

Cheers Jules

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 07:55:34 PM »
Pictures!! We need Pictures!   :)

Offline Barneydog

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 08:31:44 PM »
Hopefully tomorrow

Offline Barneydog

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 12:36:42 PM »
Hi Guys,
Pics as promised but later than anticipated.

This is my revised smokebox. After many failed regulators I went with the stainless ball valve. The wethead was remade to support the valve which is the silver bit to the right.

Pipework done from reg valve to the cylinder supply. Pipe curls round in the top of the smokebox. Small pipe soldered into the main pipe goes to the snifter valve.

Small pipe coming from the end of the boiler is the steam blower going to the blast nozzle.

With the petticoat fitted it is tight in there which is why the plumbing has to be sited carefully.

Front complete with the bracket for the dart to hold the door closed

Ball valve spindle extended out the side of the smokebox ready for control rod from cab.

Angled base for seal flange for spindle. Angled to square up the face to match what will be in the cab for the regulator lever.

Control lever and rod fitted. Just needs cab end of rod building

I have made Pannier tanks for my Loco so they cover the changes to the smokebox and the new regulator. I am building everything now and will strip down in a couple of weeks to paint everything.

Cheers Jules

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 01:45:23 PM »
Hi

Some good work there mate  :ThumbsUp:

Julian lives a 5 minute walk away from me, shame is with this lock down I can't go round to view the progress :disappointed:

Cheers

Rich

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal