Author Topic: Excavator side project  (Read 10875 times)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: Excavator side project
« Reply #135 on: May 22, 2020, 03:02:30 AM »
Got the optical isolators, and got them installed. Had to reconnect the power wire from the ESCs, since that is how the outer side of the isolator is powered, the wire had been snipped on each speed control so only one would power the receiver. Hooked all six up, and NO glitching anymore!!

:whoohoo:

So, now can button up everything, do final wire bundles so the cab will go on and off easy. Should be digging in a couple of days, video to follow then!

:DrinkPint:

And after that, almost ready to start the Mann steam wagon project....

So have the Elves talked to you about digging them a swimming pool in the back yard?  :shrug:
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #136 on: May 22, 2020, 03:42:43 AM »
Got the optical isolators, and got them installed. Had to reconnect the power wire from the ESCs, since that is how the outer side of the isolator is powered, the wire had been snipped on each speed control so only one would power the receiver. Hooked all six up, and NO glitching anymore!!

:whoohoo:

So, now can button up everything, do final wire bundles so the cab will go on and off easy. Should be digging in a couple of days, video to follow then!

:DrinkPint:

And after that, almost ready to start the Mann steam wagon project....

So have the Elves talked to you about digging them a swimming pool in the back yard?  :shrug:

A swimmi.... Those little swarfheads!  They got me to think thats where they buried their treasure!   :ROFL:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #137 on: May 22, 2020, 11:51:44 PM »
Going to call this one just about done, and start playing with it! Got the last of the wiring bundled up and out of the way so the cab would go on, and set up the radio. Just need a lot more practise to train myself which lever does what in which direction.  Here is a video of the first digging run, using a mortar mixing tub and some 'scale gravel' (AKA kitty litter - NEW, assuming the shop elves didnt do anything nasty in it).
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oimbHLx2Kkk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oimbHLx2Kkk</a>
And a couple photos of where it stands:

Elfric at the controls:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2020, 12:32:54 AM »
Looking great Chris, and digging!   :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

I'd be on clump patrol re the elves and the kitty litter . You do know that the clumps can be fired from various rubber powered devices at the perps, right? Even better, now you have a means of cleaning up aftwerward!

My spidey sense detected a length of copper pipe to the left of the frame in the vid. Could this be first evidence in your shop of that elusive species Mannus Boilerus?
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #139 on: May 23, 2020, 12:57:52 AM »
Looking great Chris, and digging!   :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

I'd be on clump patrol re the elves and the kitty litter . You do know that the clumps can be fired from various rubber powered devices at the perps, right? Even better, now you have a means of cleaning up aftwerward!

My spidey sense detected a length of copper pipe to the left of the frame in the vid. Could this be first evidence in your shop of that elusive species Mannus Boilerus?

Sounds like you have prior experience in exhaust flinging...   :naughty:

And yes, I have been collecting some materials for the rarely seen Mannus Waggonus! Yesterday got some 3d planning done on the cylinder fixture too, and there are some pipe elbows and tees off being cast...  Official build thread will start in a few days, after the fur painting (hair dying?) on Willy Da Beast (sounds like he may need some gold chains).

:cheers:

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #140 on: May 23, 2020, 06:01:23 AM »
That is just too cool, Chris!

You just keep churning them out,don't you? :)   :popcorn:

Well done!  And just a 'side project' to boot!
Kim

Online sco

« Reply #141 on: May 23, 2020, 09:11:49 AM »
Great looking excavator Chris - you and the Elves are going to have fun digging holes in the garden with that.

I've had a break from the Lane and Bodley over lockdown and my 'side project' has been a model of a Unimog 406 - Tamiya kit so not in the same league as your build but I have invested some time in making a realistic interior rather than just smoking out the window glass.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #142 on: May 23, 2020, 04:25:32 PM »
Chris,
The excavator looks great! But putting the shop elves behind the controls, have you taken your temp recently? Or did you leave the door open so he could hop in?
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline awake

« Reply #143 on: May 23, 2020, 04:59:58 PM »
Great results! I "dig" it! :)
Andy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #144 on: May 23, 2020, 05:54:20 PM »
Chris,
The excavator looks great! But putting the shop elves behind the controls, have you taken your temp recently? Or did you leave the door open so he could hop in?
Art
No glass in the window, just jumped in!

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #145 on: May 23, 2020, 07:50:46 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:
 Works & looks great Chris! Fantastic job!
 Looking forward to the steam wagon build.

John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal