Author Topic: Excavator side project  (Read 10946 times)

Offline cnr6400

Re: Excavator side project
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2020, 11:58:04 PM »
You mentioned 'boring' in a previous post. What did you use? The boring tool from Sherline?

I used that for a couple of holes and (like Bill mentioned) found it difficult to adjust accurately.
I got it done (despite ruining a parallel in the process) but the holes ended up just slightly larger than the bearings.
My mistake was making the bearings first. I should have made the holes and then turned the bearings to fit.

BTW Where's the elves? Are they quarantined? As they should have been years ago.  ;D
I also have had issues with the sherline boring head, works but sometimes it is tough to get a close final size since it just pushes in one direction with the dial and tightening the locking screw can shift things. Recently I picked up a APT head, which is larger, has a tension adjustment on the slider, and a better dial. It does not fit the headstock threads so I had to make an adapter using a sherline blank mill holder.
One thing you should do is stop a bit short of final diameter and do an extra pass or two at one setting, it will take off a little more metal, due to the spring in the cutter. Then remeasure and adjust in very slightly, repeat as needed.

Oh, and the elves have locked themselves in big ziplock bags, muttering something about 'dont know where you have been'.

You do know you can pop those bags just like popping paper ones, eh?   :naughty: That'll wake 'em up, and they may not be doing too much more muttering - 'specially with all that 'boring' work going on!   :Lol:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2020, 12:04:27 AM »
You mentioned 'boring' in a previous post. What did you use? The boring tool from Sherline?

I used that for a couple of holes and (like Bill mentioned) found it difficult to adjust accurately.
I got it done (despite ruining a parallel in the process) but the holes ended up just slightly larger than the bearings.
My mistake was making the bearings first. I should have made the holes and then turned the bearings to fit.

BTW Where's the elves? Are they quarantined? As they should have been years ago.  ;D
I also have had issues with the sherline boring head, works but sometimes it is tough to get a close final size since it just pushes in one direction with the dial and tightening the locking screw can shift things. Recently I picked up a APT head, which is larger, has a tension adjustment on the slider, and a better dial. It does not fit the headstock threads so I had to make an adapter using a sherline blank mill holder.
One thing you should do is stop a bit short of final diameter and do an extra pass or two at one setting, it will take off a little more metal, due to the spring in the cutter. Then remeasure and adjust in very slightly, repeat as needed.

Oh, and the elves have locked themselves in big ziplock bags, muttering something about 'dont know where you have been'.

You do know you can pop those bags just like popping paper ones, eh?   :naughty: That'll wake 'em up, and they may not be doing too much more muttering - 'specially with all that 'boring' work going on!   :Lol:

:lolb: :ROFL:

Not sure I want to start that war though.  Still....   :thinking:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2020, 04:40:26 PM »
Got some more done on the floor plate, riveted on the angle pieces around the edge to hold the cab in place, and bolted down the motor and boom base parts.

closer look:

The vertical motor at the lower right of the boom base frame is to turn the cab around on the track base. It will drive this spur gear (once I make the shaft to connect it) against the large gear on the hub. The hub and the large gear will be bolted to the track base.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2020, 08:38:40 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2020, 09:46:38 PM »
Started in on the framework for the undercariage - this will hold the spindle/hub for the cab on the top, and the tracks out at the lower arms.

lots of drilling/tapping later...

Still more holes to go to get the lower arms on...

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2020, 10:29:30 PM »
This work is beyond words.
John

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2020, 12:17:58 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn

I wondered what that tap tap tap tapping sound was - now I know it was Chris tapping!  :Lol:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2020, 12:28:38 AM »
:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn

I wondered what that tap tap tap tapping sound was - now I know it was Chris tapping!  :Lol:
Better than the thunk thunk thunk of the cardinal attacking its reflection in the window over at my mother's house. Stupid thing has been trying to chase itself off since last fall. Gotta figure out how to make a remote control badminton racket to launch it over the garage...

Online tghs

« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2020, 01:04:00 AM »
I had one that was attacking itself in my truck mirrors,, had to cover them large sweat socks when I parked at home,, hang an owl picture in the window..
what the @#&% over

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2020, 01:09:19 AM »
I had one that was attacking itself in my truck mirrors,, had to cover them large sweat socks when I parked at home,, hang an owl picture in the window..
Nice that your truck had warm mirrors...  :ROFL:

We've tried owl and hawk pictures, fans, blinds, all that. Its tough, there is a whole row of big windows. Silly things are so terratorial. Too many other houses to get the local trap team over...!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2020, 05:27:55 PM »
More done on the undercarriage - getting it skinned with aluminum sheet. All are roughed in, ready to do final trimming/blending on the edges.

The spindle unit is sitting on top - need to bore a large hole in the top sheet so it will sit down on the top sheet.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2020, 10:16:04 PM »
Bored out the hole for the spindle assembly:

and test fit in the base:

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2020, 07:39:14 AM »
Nice work Chris.
A great read given lockdown.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2020, 09:08:17 AM »
Great work Chris. :praise2: :praise2:
That sprocket on the table looks just like a Tiger 1 sprocket.

Vince

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2020, 12:31:35 PM »
Great work Chris. :praise2: :praise2:
That sprocket on the table looks just like a Tiger 1 sprocket.

Vince
Probably because it is one! I have sets of metal tracks and sprockets from an rc tank that are the right size for the excavator, starting with those rather than making them from scratch. Good eye!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal