Author Topic: Excavator side project  (Read 10883 times)

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
Re: Excavator side project
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2020, 11:18:56 PM »
The dirt pile at cabin fever has never really caught my attention.  I suspect because my interest is in building, not operating.  My son is exactly opposite.  For years I’ve stated that Sam likes to drive the truck and I just want to fix it :lolb:

This being a build thread, it has my interest.  I like your solution for simulating hydrolics.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:.  . 
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2020, 11:28:35 PM »
The dirt pile at cabin fever has never really caught my attention.  I suspect because my interest is in building, not operating.  My son is exactly opposite.  For years I’ve stated that Sam likes to drive the truck and I just want to fix it :lolb:

This being a build thread, it has my interest.  I like your solution for simulating hydrolics.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: .  .
The dirt pile at CF was the first time I had even heard of RC excavators that used real hydraulics, was fascinated by them. Part way through the day I saw someone dealing with a leaky hydraulic line in one, and thought again - that and the price of the systems for it. I am hoping that the leadscrews will give enough oomph to dig well enough, at least in loosened dirt/sand, to be fun. It wont have the raw power of the real hydraulics, but at least I can run it indoors safely! I had won a 9 channel radio at the raffle at our RC submarine run in Carmel Indiana a few years ago, so that part was already set.The last time I went to CF, I had the Lombard Hauler model with me (among others), and one of the 'dirt' guys (Mike) was looking at it and mentioned that he thought his tractor/trailer might be able to hold the Lombard - turns out it was a perfect fit. He drove it across the arena to the pile and back - there is a video of it over on my Lombard build thread. Here it is again:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zy6oA2gZ7M" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zy6oA2gZ7M</a>

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2020, 08:41:36 PM »
Few more parts - got the linkages from the ends of the lower cylinders back to the chain drive sprockets made, including a guide rail in the center to keep the u-joints from flopping around. This will only run at slow speeds, running the main boom up and down. Next need to make the holder for the shafts on the chain sprockets and the motor mount...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2020, 11:51:49 PM »
Still working on the base unit/gearing, getting the bits made up to connect everything. In the meantime, a teaser for those waiting for the Mann Steam Wagon build, a current screen capture from Fusion of the 3D CAD model. I was able to get  my hands on a scan of one of Mann's original catalogs, which has helped with a number of the details. Got a lot of it drawn up, not started yet on the engine which will sit on top of the boiler. The transmission (3 speed) is drawn up (though the gears are just discs at this point).

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2020, 12:48:08 AM »
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2020, 01:10:50 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Mann oh Mann Chris the CAD for the steam truck looks great!
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2020, 01:28:08 PM »
:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Mann oh Mann Chris the CAD for the steam truck looks great!
Thanks Mann!   :Lol:

I need to come up with a plan for the rear cargo area, they made a lot of custom versions, dump beds, van bodies, sprayers, bins, etc. Maybe a shop gnome transport cage...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2020, 04:45:13 PM »
Some more done on the excavator - cut out the outline of the cab floor plate on some aluminum sheet stock, and made up the shafts/holders for the lower boom cylinder drive. While laying things out, realized that I should do the holes for the cab spindle (whatever that is called, the thing the cab spins on over the track assembly) at the same time, save some assembly/disassembly rounds. Here is the floor plate with the parts set on top:

So, back to Fusion 360 to model up the spindle parts. I bought a trailer wheel bearing kit with 1-1/16" center hole size to use, knowing that regular whel bearings are set up to handle all the side/twisting loads. These should be MORE than strong enough for this purpose! Using the measurements of those parts as a starting point, modeled up the assembly. In all these screen grabs, we are looking at the bottom side of things - the square grey background is the bottom of the floor plate, the track assembly will bolt to the flange at the top of the darker grey 'hub'.

Now, to show things better, some more shots with parts peeled away. Here it is with the hub removed, showing the two bearing races/cups inside. The red spindle is hollow to hold the slip ring for the track drive motors. Sides are smooth, end threaded for the spindle nut.

Spindle with bearings removed:

And the hub itself - the step in the center on the inside goes between the bearings, holding the bearing cups apart.

This is all laid out just like the trailer axle/hub would be, just slightly different shapes to bolt to the cab floor and the track frame. Should work, as long as I didn't forget some important part...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2020, 07:46:24 PM »
Been some 'boring' days lately, boring out and turning the spindle and hub for the cab rotation bearing assembly. The spindle/hub are steel, the washer and nut are brass (just since I had some offcuts the right size, otherwise would have been steel too). The gear was bored out as well to fit the hub, there will be a gear motor inside the cab by the boom base driving a spur gear against the big gear. The big gear and hub stay stationary with respect to the track frame, and the spindle/cab spin around on that. All fits well, and the hub spins freely without play - no grease in the roller bearings yet, just since it will be handled so much for a while. Here are some pics of the top/bottom of the assembly.
Bottom view, the end with the nut will face downwards in the final assembly.

Top view - the inner spindle will bolt to the cab floor.
With these parts done, now I can lay out and start drilling the patterns of holes in the cab floor for the spindle as well as the boom base and its drive motor....

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2020, 09:32:43 PM »
Getting the floor plate drilled for the mounting screws, and test fitting the parts....
Bottom view:

Top:

Need to open up one hole for the base frame, missed that one by a little bit. Then get the spacer block under the motor drilled/installed, and add the angle-aluminum around the rim to hold the cab shell on. The cab is most likely going to be a wood frame clad in thin plywood, set down over the top.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2020, 10:22:56 PM »
You mentioned 'boring' in a previous post. What did you use? The boring tool from Sherline?

I used that for a couple of holes and (like Bill mentioned) found it difficult to adjust accurately.
I got it done (despite ruining a parallel in the process) but the holes ended up just slightly larger than the bearings.
My mistake was making the bearings first. I should have made the holes and then turned the bearings to fit.

BTW Where's the elves? Are they quarantined? As they should have been years ago.  ;D
"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2020, 10:51:16 PM »
You mentioned 'boring' in a previous post. What did you use? The boring tool from Sherline?

I used that for a couple of holes and (like Bill mentioned) found it difficult to adjust accurately.
I got it done (despite ruining a parallel in the process) but the holes ended up just slightly larger than the bearings.
My mistake was making the bearings first. I should have made the holes and then turned the bearings to fit.

BTW Where's the elves? Are they quarantined? As they should have been years ago.  ;D
I also have had issues with the sherline boring head, works but sometimes it is tough to get a close final size since it just pushes in one direction with the dial and tightening the locking screw can shift things. Recently I picked up a APT head, which is larger, has a tension adjustment on the slider, and a better dial. It does not fit the headstock threads so I had to make an adapter using a sherline blank mill holder.
One thing you should do is stop a bit short of final diameter and do an extra pass or two at one setting, it will take off a little more metal, due to the spring in the cutter. Then remeasure and adjust in very slightly, repeat as needed.

Oh, and the elves have locked themselves in big ziplock bags, muttering something about 'dont know where you have been'.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2020, 10:51:42 PM »
Dog, Dog......you just amaze me your on another project and making awesome time. I just can’t believe you sleep. Another amazing project to follow and did ......I..........say........I...........like............ :Love:

:drinking-41:
Don

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2020, 11:01:46 PM »
Oh, and the elves have locked themselves in big ziplock bags, muttering something about 'dont know where you have been'.

I never thought I'd say this...but that's a point for them.  ;D
"To work. To work."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal