Author Topic: 15 HP Witte hit-and-miss  (Read 13284 times)

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
Re: 15 HP Witte hit-and-miss
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2020, 06:09:13 AM »
Hi Craig, very nice work.
And yes, I think this are really small parts.
I can follow you explanation about the movement of the single parts and the function.
Waiting for the rest of the story, the linkage to the fuel valve and the valve itself.
That´s a small masterpiece indeed and very well done.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline awake

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2020, 10:16:38 PM »
Anything that involves 2-56 screws and threads feels intimidatingly tiny to me! It's looking good, Craig!
Andy

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2020, 07:41:57 PM »
John, Art, Achem, Andy; thanks for the encouragement and comments.  Thanks also for those of you taking the time to just silently stop by to see the latest.

It’s been a few days since my last post; but I’ve been busy.  I was a bit negligent in ordering the flywheel castings (in fact I just got to it today).  I could use them now, but there still is a lot to do so I can afford to wait a while yet.  I’ll be using the same 10 ½ inch flywheel casings I used on the Crossley Otto Langen, and probably be removing around the same amount of material.  This engine is characterized by large diameter flywheels with thin rims that, in my opinion, gives it a lot of its “curb appeal”.

I’m currently working on the fuel pump.  Below is a photo of the pump on the full size original so you can see where I’m attempting to go.

Here are a few photos of my progress so far.  The fuel pump is “front and center” on the model so it deserves a bit of attention to make it look somewhat like the full size castings.   

« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 09:40:33 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2020, 10:35:41 PM »
Thanks for stopping by to see the going-on.

I spent the entire day working on this pivot arm.  It took two tries; the second attempt came out not great, but acceptable.  The remaining parts to this fuel pump should be somewhat easier to make. 

Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2020, 08:04:24 AM »
Excellent work on lots of fiddley little bits  :praise2:  :praise2:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline kvom

« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2020, 12:40:06 PM »
Maybe a watchmaker could put in all those fillets and chamfers.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2020, 02:32:13 AM »
Craig,
That looks like quite a lot of work for such a small piece. It looks great! You look to be making good progress.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline awake

« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2020, 05:39:18 PM »
Craig, I think you made a mistake. The part is much smaller than the drawing on the plan ... :)

Continued excellent work on those "fiddly little bits"!
Andy

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2020, 12:17:50 AM »
Roger, Kirk, Art, Andy; thank you for your kind comments.  Thanks also for those of you silently stopping by to see the goings-on.

I was thinking of asking George to make the above pivot arm for me :ThumbsUp:.  The only problem with that is, George would have made it twice as small  :facepalm2: and when I put it on the engine everyone would have commented, ”the pivot arm looks great, the rest of the engine… not so much”.  :embarassed: :ROFL:

I’ve finished the fuel pump.  Below is a photo.  I would have placed it on the engine for a final shot but, I had a few misaligned holes on the base to repair with JB weld and couldn’t re-assemble everything while the cement dries.

I probably won’t post for a few days.  Tomorrow I’m having the cataract in my left eye removed and I’ll be doing my best impersonation of Edward Teach (Blackbeard the pirate) :lolb: for a day or so.  There will be restrictions on my activities for the next few days but I’m hoping to be back in the shop early next week, and I’m hoping to be able to SEE!!! :pinkelephant:

I’ve received the material for the cylinder liner today so that will probably be first on the agenda.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 04:22:33 AM by Craig DeShong »
Craig

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2020, 07:24:49 AM »

I probably won’t post for a few days.  Tomorrow I’m having the cataract in my left eye removed and I’ll be doing my best impersonation of Edward Teach (Blackbeard the pirate) :lolb: for a day or so.  There will be restrictions on my activities for the next few days but I’m hoping to be back in the shop early next week, and I’m hoping to be able to SEE!!! :pinkelephant:

From what I have heard from the girls cataract operations can be life changing, just make sure you remember to use the drops they give you ;) Best wishes for a rapid recovery.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2020, 09:09:03 AM »
Best Wishes for a good outcome Craig.      Terry

Offline kvom

« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2020, 01:03:25 PM »
I have an appointment Monday with eye doctor.  Almost certain to have cataract surgery soon.  One of my eyes is still good, so together they work fine, but with good eye closed I can tell how bad the other is.  Good luck with yours.

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2020, 01:47:24 PM »
Best wishes with the surgery, Craig.

We will miss your posts while you are away, but it is important to look after your eyes first.

I am sure we will all be looking forward to your return.  I know that I am one of those looking in every day.

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline awake

« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2020, 04:45:57 PM »
Praying for a great result and quick recovery!
Andy

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2020, 09:28:29 PM »
I have an appointment Monday with eye doctor.  Almost certain to have cataract surgery soon.  One of my eyes is still good, so together they work fine, but with good eye closed I can tell how bad the other is.  Good luck with yours.

Back from the hospital and I'm told all went well.  When they take the eye patch off tomorrow we will see.

The operation was nothing.  The worst part was the reqiured Corona virus test they gave me where they rammed this cotton swab about four feet up my nose.  Hurt like... well, can't use appropriate words here where we wouldn't all blush.
Craig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal