Author Topic: CORONA VIRUS  (Read 7810 times)

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Re: CORONA VIRUS
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2020, 03:15:13 PM »
Tragic news Andy.

Condolences as expressed here by us all.

John

Offline Dreeves

« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2020, 03:26:10 PM »
So sorry for your family's loss Andy. Praying for your family

Dave

Offline awake

« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2020, 08:05:54 PM »
That is very sad news Andy.

Covid-19 will take too many before we overcome it, so many families will be touched, so many lives changes beyond what they could have ever imagined before this all started. Look after yourselves and stay safe.

Jo

Yes, I'm starting to think that when this is all over, it won't be a matter of seeing who did have a friend or relative who died; it will be a matter of seeing if there is anyone who didn't.

Art, I am sorry to hear about Jane. My own mom just turned 91, and she is not in good health - more than once she has expressed readiness to go sooner rather than later. :( Ironically, my sister-in-law was only 51, and was the last person we would have thought would be the first of us to go.

Continued thanks to all for the prayers and support.
Andy

Offline AVTUR

• West of England
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2020, 11:25:21 PM »
Andy

Many sympathies. I hope that nothing more happens to your family.

These are times of trouble and I really hope that all will survive. I somewhat dread going back to work at Rolls-Royce Heritage Trust at the end of this.

AVTUR
There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2020, 06:35:26 PM »
Just thought I'd let folks know my former neighbor Jane passed away last night. There will be a memorial later this summer when its safe for a group of people to meet.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2020, 01:51:28 AM »
My deepest sympathies to those who have lost someone to the virus.  My prayers are with you and your families. 

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline awake

« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2020, 02:32:52 AM »
Art, sorry to hear about Jane. Prayers for her family.

I don't know if I updated here that we got word that my sister-in-law did not have COVID-19. We are still waiting for word on what it was, but one possibility is a blood clot in the lung. A sobering reminder that people die every day, sometimes unexpectedly, even when we don't have a pandemic. :(
Andy

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Telephone Lament for Coronavirus
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2020, 03:45:59 PM »
In case you missed it Mike, on Radio 4 this morning on the usual Sunday morning God spot they had Dr Mark Tan saying his Telephone Lament for Coronavirus’ it starts 37 mins 51 seconds into this piece: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000hmwt it is very inspiring

For those of you who the BBC I-player won't play it for, and it is well worth listening to Mark say it himself  :ThumbsUp: , here is his the words of his Lament that was inspired by Steve Wonder's song "I've just called to say I Love you" and he wrote :

I just called, to say… your husband has been admitted to the intensive care unit.

I could sense your shock even over the telephone. I realised you had only left for home a few hours earlier. I wondered if you imagined that he would be the unfortunate 10–15% of coronavirus patients needing intensive care. I wondered if you knew that it took several consultants to decide to bring him to intensive care unit. Perhaps you couldn’t see the fear behind the flimsy masks of the emergency physicians; fear both for your husband, and also for their own health.

I just called, to say… that he is stable on the breathing machine, with medications to keep him asleep.

I wondered if you realised “stable” still referred to needing near the maximal safe limit of pressure generated by the ventilator to drive air into the lungs. “Stable” meant needing double or triple the fraction of oxygen available in normal air. “Stable” meant four different medications to keep him asleep to control his breathing, each with their own side effects.

Would you be less reassured by the term “stable” if you saw the multiple artificial lines inserted into your beloved husband, from the breathing tube to the plastic lines in his neck. From a small arterial catheter in his wrist to the larger urinary one in his bladder.

I just called, to ask… are you doing alright yourself?

I wondered if you realised we healthcare workers are also struggling to take care of ourselves. After all, many of our loved ones are of similar ages, with similar co-morbidities and health conditions as your husband. We cannot help imagining our own loved ones in similar positions. We harbour the constant fear of bringing the virus back to our families. Like you, the lack of social gatherings has impaired our resilience. We find solace in sources aplenty: prayer, meditation, books, exercise, gossip, dark humour, chocolate, alcohol…the list spirals downwards. Our traditional knowledge and protocols have been questioned, our prognostic methods challenged, our patience tested, and the gaping flaws in our systems revealed. Yet we look ever outward, seeking to care than to be cared for.

I just called, to say… it is too early to tell how he would fare in this disease process.

I wondered if you realised your husband would be spending more than a couple of days on the ventilator, that the mortality rates from ICUs around the country have been hovering around 50%. Of all our prognostic methods and advanced technologies, his fate may as well be determined by a flip of a coin. I wondered if you sensed the discomfort in my voice; the need to provide life-changing information over the phone. I wondered if you were shifting in your seat as much as I was, gripped by the realisation that the next fortnight would determine if your husband would live to see your face again. I felt disappointed for not being able to offer a tissue or a hand to hold over the phone when you broke into tears.

I just called, to say… his breathing is getting worse.

When I told you we had put him face-down to help his breathing, I wondered if you realised this took seven trained members of staff about an hour to perform safely. As I explained the ebb and flow of patient journeys in intensive care, I was thankful you could not see my head in my hands. Like many colleagues, I feel discouraged by the lack of improvement in several other patients, just like your husband. I feel disheartened by the prolonged course of the disease, testing our patience. I feel demoralised; the years of training and experience now seem meaningless in the face of a novel contagion.

I just called, to say… he has had a sudden cardiac arrest.

I wondered no longer.
I needed only to be sorry.

Sorry that the virus had affected your husband’s heart.
Sorry that despite our best efforts, we were unable to resuscitate him successfully.
Sorry that you could not be with him during his last hours.
Sorry that you may never meet me, or the team that took care of him
Sorry that while his death was consistent with the 5–10% overall mortality rate, he was still 100% of your life.

I just called, to say how much we cared
I just called, to say, I’m sorry…
And we mean it from the bottom of our hearts

Thank you Mark and thank you to all our wonderful Carers and NHS people

Jo
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 05:14:28 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2020, 04:20:47 PM »
AMEN to that!   Thank you Jo.        Terry
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 04:36:43 PM by Jo »

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2020, 04:42:42 PM »
Thank you Jo,

That just brings home the terrible reality of it all.

Our Carers and Health workers will carry the mental scares for the rest of their lives.

God bless them all.
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2020, 05:10:33 PM »
Thank you Jo. That's very powerful and emotional.

Take care everyone. Stay healthy.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online Twizseven

« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2020, 07:46:24 PM »
I've just been notified by my fathers care home that he has tested positive for Covid-19.  He is coming up to 99 in July.  It appears he is quite bright at present, just not eating a lot.  He sounded okay when I spoke to him on phone  3 or 4 days ago.
All we can do is keep our fingers crossed he can survive it.

Colin

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2020, 08:56:13 PM »
Best wishes for your father Colin. We can do more than cross our fingers.....We can pray.   Let's pray and hope for a good outcome.
Best Wishes       Terry

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2020, 08:19:47 AM »
We are all hoping for the best for your Dad Colin .  Hopefully they have finally gotten round to testing everyone in the home and discovered that there have a number of asymptomatic cases that they were not aware of and now they will be able to care for all of them appropriately.

If only we could know who of us will get through this without any symptoms and if we could be one of the ones who won't so we can act accordingly, one day the scientists should be able to tell us  :ThumbsUp: I just hope they find this and so many answers soon.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal