Author Topic: CORONA VIRUS  (Read 7920 times)

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
Re: CORONA VIRUS
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2020, 12:16:38 PM »
Thanks everyone,  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

It's day five for Suzanne, nearing the peak. She said she felt like making a cup of tea this morning,  the first time in days.

The problem with helping my wife with the pattern making, cutting out and tailoring, is I have to learn to talk centimetres not millimetres. (and do it with dress making pins in my mouth)

Stay safe out there

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline AVTUR

• West of England
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2020, 12:17:41 PM »
Mike

I wish Suzanne and the rest of you good luck and all the best.

My niece, Suzy, in London, went down with the virus at work over three works ago and had all the nasty symptoms. Two days ago she went for a 1km run!

There is hope for us in these times of trouble.

AVTUR
There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2020, 02:51:46 PM »
Best wishes to Suzanne for a good recovery.
Best wishes to everyone to stay healthy.

We've been told our peak will occur early May. I've yet to see any information on what a tail looks like.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline kvom

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2020, 06:37:36 PM »
I'm fairly fortunate living in the suburbs.  We walk the dog an hour twice a day, with everyone else being careful to keep their distance.  There are many many dogs hereabout.  Grocery shopping hasn't been an issue, and we're able to avoid other shoppers.  After the big run on TP there was another on flour, as people rediscovered home baking, apparently.  Both my daughters are working from their homes, and thankfully still are employed.  One had her hours cut as it's a sports-related business.

Thus far our county has had only 1 death and 63 cases out of about 250,000 population.  None of the nursing homes have been affected like many in neighboring counties.  I think people here wised up earlier.  Local hospital has 24 ICU beds with 7 currently vacant.

I feel lucky to have the shop to occupy a few hours daily.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2020, 01:56:47 AM »
Hi Mike,
 Well that’s just not on! Thoughts with you, family & especially Suzanne!

Well done to you & your good lady for pitching in on the PPE front!
Down this end of the world,  various manufacturing outfits are switching to make required PPE. Teachers have taken home the schools 3D printers & figured out how to make face shields frames & visors from over head viewers....thought they had long gone....plastic sheet. Latest I saw was a guy who figured he had the cost down to 29 cents for the frame, he’s printing 18 hrs a day!

Kvom,
There was an article on the news here in New Zealand, there has been a huge demand on flour, to the point that 1 company used up 4 years worth of bags for home supply in a couple of weeks! So now the issue is getting more packaging. My dad still has the flour & sugar bins in his kitchen cabinets, House was built in the 1930’s.....I don’t think he will fill them though!
Everybody be safe, think we are in for the long haul on this.

Cheers Kerrin
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 02:02:25 AM by Steamer5 »
Get excited and make something!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2020, 01:59:42 AM »
Cross posting this...as it's pretty useful.

Making your own facemask in 45 seconds from our Surgeon General

https://mashable.com/video/cdc-face-mask-how-to/

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2020, 04:36:38 AM »
I must admit I have spent a lot more time on the phone with folks I would normally visit. My wife & I are still working though I am the only one of us going to work, she is working from home. Church hasn't met in 4 weeks, I go to work & home and gassed up my car for the first time with gloves on. Don't know who's touched it last after all. I didn't think of that one my coworker did. Now a bit more careful getting groceries, seems odd to try to not touch anything but the 3 items the change & receipt, thanks to those magic self opening doors. My boss said ebay sales have gone up 89%. Every body is sitting at home with nothing to do, so they're working on the old British car in the garage. I've been working 50 hours a week. Good thing I am working for an essential industry. Stay safe out there.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2020, 11:01:07 AM »
It's good to see that Suzanne seems to be on the mend. We wish her a full recovery. It is also encouraging to hear how a lot of you are helping the fight. I prey that you and your families all keep safe, especially those at work on the front line.
On a personal front my wife and I want to thank everyone for their condolences and support following the loss of our daughter-in-law. (earlier in this thread) Very much appreciated. We are slowly returning to"normality" what ever that is.  I have managed some shed time. I am so grateful for the fact that we have garden space and absorbing hobbies and feel for people stuck in flats, etc some with large families. I hope to post again soon on my engine build, although looked at in the wider world somehow seems pointless.
I prey that you all keep safe and well.            Terry

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2020, 11:41:07 AM »
Terry and everyone ,

Thanks for your support, We pray Suzanne and all the other infected health workers can pull through and make full recoveries. If they achieve some immunity from their illness, we can be sure most will be back in the front line as soon as they are given the 'all clear'. Such is the power of their calling, their chosen profession.

My wife is sowing surgical gowns and scrubs as if someones life depended on it (which of course is true) I am helping and also 3D printing face visor frames as quickly as my 'cheap as chips' printer will allow. Get in touch with www.3DCrowd.uk if you think you can offer more print capability. They arrange door collection of visor frames and may drop off replacement filament.

I have managed some shed time. I am so grateful for the fact that we have garden space and absorbing hobbies and feel for people stuck in flats, etc some with large families. I hope to post again soon on my engine build, although looked at in the wider world somehow seems pointless.
I prey that you all keep safe and well.            Terry

Terry finding an 'escape' is vitally important. We are lucky to have our all absorbing hobby. And YES please post about your engine build. It is not pointless: it gives hope and encouragement and helps you and all our members pass the endless hours of lockdown.

Stay strong

Mike
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 11:51:00 AM by Vixen »

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2020, 07:51:51 PM »
It's day nine of the virus infection for my daughter Suzanne, She has been very poorly but fortunately the fever broke overnight and her temperature has dropped to near normal. I hope this means she is through the worst and my young daughter is on the mend.

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. The MEM forum is a group of very special people.

Stay strong

Mike
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 10:29:39 PM by Vixen »

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2020, 08:32:02 PM »
Wonderful news Mike :whoohoo:              Terry

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2020, 08:53:11 PM »
Very glad to hear that Mike!!!!!!!

:DrinkPint: :cartwheel:
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2020, 10:02:43 PM »
Mike,
That's great to hear. I found out yesterday that my former neighbor has covid 19. doesn't sound like she will make it.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2020, 10:26:22 PM »
Thanks guys for calling in.

There will be days of joy like mine, but many days of sadness to come, before this thing passes.

Stay strong

Mike

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2020, 10:31:04 PM »
That's great news Mike. So happy to hear good news.

Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal