Author Topic: CORONA VIRUS  (Read 7811 times)

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
CORONA VIRUS
« on: March 24, 2020, 05:36:19 PM »
Hi

Stay safe everyone. We have to take this outbreak very seriously.

There is a possibility of a bit more shed time though :whoohoo: :pinkelephant: :cartwheel: :wine1: :cheers: :DrinkPint:

Cheers

Rich

Offline JC54

• Grantham, Lincolnshire, UK
Re: CORONA VIRUS
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 08:33:23 PM »
             With this lock-down that a lot of us are going through it is perhaps a good time to finish all of those half done projects. :noidea:
 One thought though are people going to hoard model engineering materials  will suppliers restrict us to 3 nuts and bolts. I just ordered some brass bar will I be limited to 3 inches? Good job it wasn't in mm. For members outside the UK; supermarkets are limiting us to only 3 of an item.  :Jester:
             Joking aside I hope that we can all weather this present problem and keep safe. There is a surprising amount of help out there.......                      :old: :DrinkPint: John
When the Fun Stops,, Stop!

Offline kvom

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 09:17:50 AM »
Day 9 of self-quarantine for me.  Lathe quit working so I'm trying to debug 78 year-old electrics.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 08:42:25 PM »
Hazel and I have been in self-isolation for over a week now. And yet we hear about so many out and about. They just are not getting the message.

Here in Peterborough, almost all of the local businesses are shut down. Both of our sons are either out of work or on restricted hours.

We are fortunate to have sites like this and hobbies that consume our time. Imagine those who are sitting at home bored to tears doing nothing. 

Stay well everyone.

Cheers...John

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 01:25:43 AM »
Hi All, Fortunately I have an allotment so I can go there for my {exercise} allowance ..about 4-5 hours at the moment ..also as I have more time in the WKSP I can really think about what I am doing without rushing, Being very gregarious I do find this isolation quite difficult and miss the club days ...I wish we had actually gone into lockdown about 6 weeks ago though .see everyone on the other side .as they say

Willy

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 02:29:18 AM »
So far here in Wisconsin I haven't been closely affected, no one I know has been affected at least. That isn't to say I am going about business as usual though. The state has ordered all non-essential business to close down. Good thing I am in an essential line of work. My wife this week has been working from home. My bosses are in the at risk category and have this week worked from home 2 of 5 days. I normally on Wednesday would sit down with my sister, nephew, and a good family friend and have a couple  :DrinkPint: have now passed on this. I am starting to feel a bit isolated. I have friends that are in the at risk club that I would normally walk down the street and say hi to and feel I cant take the chance to do that. I suspect a lot of people are feeling isolated now and this will only grow till this is over. Kirk, hope you are all right. I haven't self isolated but stopping all live social interaction with anybody but my wife and co-workers is only a few degrees of separation from that.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 08:03:56 PM »
Hi

With the extra spare time I decided to have a good spring clean of my workshop and garage.

I have found things I lost years ago, found things I didn't know I had. Found things I was going to do and things that are half done.

So now everything is tidy and in its place so I can lose/forget them all over again  :lolb: :lolb:

Cheers

Rich

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 09:04:43 PM »
I am starting to feel a bit isolated. I have friends that are in the at risk club that I would normally walk down the street and say hi to and feel I cant take the chance to do that.

Hi Art, it sounds silly to pick the phone up to talk to people who are just down the street. It's a good idea right now though, with the virus around. It still allows us to keep in touch with friends at no risk to ourselves, our friends, and people around us who are at high risk. Ma Bell can handle it! Ain't seen a virus yet that can get through a phone wire or ride electrons bareback.  :Lol: Just a thought.
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 09:10:04 PM »
Rich, when you did your cleanup did you find any of the 3 mm stainless balls , tiny springs, M2 setscrews or other tiny stuff I lost in my shop the last few years, through the wormhole between the shops? (or that the shop elves shipped to your shop elves by DHeLf courier, without either of us knowing a thing about it?)    :Lol:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 09:46:30 PM »
When I call my folks, they generally don't stay on the phone long (they're not phone people).
Lately I've noticed they are hungry to talk. They're cooped up in their retirement apartment.

Right now I'm on Facetime with 8 people (family). You can tell people need to socialize.

Tomorrow, we're getting on Zoom with our kids and will have a remote party.

The most difficult thing so far is trying to keep some family members from freaking out.

Stay safe and healthy.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 09:50:18 PM »
Been hearing from lots of people lately too, good use of a phone! When this is all over, the restaurants are going to be VERY crowded as everyone gets out again. Not yet though...

And CNR, love the DHeLf line! Gotta use that one...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2020, 12:59:32 PM »
Go ahead Chris, re the DHeLf thing. My royalty fees are very reasonable  (ie nonexistant)  :Lol:

Glad you liked it.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2020, 08:39:16 AM »
I hope you all have the bits you need to be able to proceed with your model builds. A number of our UK suppliers are still trading but with reduced hours meaning it is nearly impossible to order any stuff from them  :wallbang:

As you can imagine Surus has had to impose a lockdown on his casting collection to keep them safe :noidea:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2020, 02:36:20 PM »

A number of our UK suppliers are still trading but with reduced hours meaning it is nearly impossible to order any stuff from them 

Jo

ARC have temporarily shut up shop for the duration.  e-mail from today :

In the last few weeks, COVID-19 has turned the world upside down, leaving the future uncertain and frightening.

We have therefore arrived at the sad decision to close our web store as of Tuesday 31st of March by midday.

The health and safety of the ARC team is of highest importance to us, and to continue working at this time is not a risk we want to take.

We can't wait to welcome you back on the other side.

Until then, be safe and take care.

Team ARC Euro Trade.

I doubt they will be the last.  :( 

Dave.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2020, 09:22:54 PM »
I hope the daily necessities at least is OK for you - my brother in law told me that his sister only managed to get two zuccinies, a bag of cracker and some milk after visiting several shops (she lives about 10 miles from Doncaster) during the whole of the week that ends today. She is okay with the stuff in the fridge - but dog food was a real concern (one dog in the house) .....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal