Author Topic: CORONA VIRUS  (Read 7897 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: CORONA VIRUS
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2020, 07:17:45 PM »
My deepest condolences to you and your family Terry...

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2020, 07:51:58 PM »
My heart goes out to you and your family Terry.

It is a sad fact that so many of the common illnesses have a surprisingly higher mortality rate than we might think. To put things into perspective the UK the mortality rate for pregnancy is 1 in 1250 for women, Covid-19 mortality rate is anticipated to be around 1 in 50

Jo
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 08:30:10 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2020, 09:20:00 PM »
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Terry.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2020, 09:55:43 PM »
Very sad to see this. My condolences to your family, your son, and her family.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2020, 10:01:51 PM »
Condolences, Terry.

Our shop has stayed open, primarily because of an open delivery contract for some major hospitals, along with a large disease research center.  So we are, at least for now, an "essential supplier".

Us engineers have been trying to work from home...CAD design and stuff.  But, we have an ongoing stress test on a new product with an aggressive schedule to meet...and I must make daily-ish trips in to monitor testing...and am getting roped into a lot of other silly fix-it stuff because...well I'm the engineer who can troubleshoot and make/fix parts that we can't get made because other shops are closed.  So, not much shop time for me outside of what must be done to keep the test and production shop going, which has gotten a little bit silly...pin and bushing fell out of a test clevis assembly, locking fastener failed to hold, new pin and bushing needed, along with a fastener in a size we don't have so whittle one down from a standard socket head screw.  Production order for some electronics got overlooked, can you come in and solder the assemblies.  And the others who stay home deluge the shop and me with "could you" emails that distract. 

Sigh.

So far so good (knock wood), nobody sick (we can maintain 30 or 40 foot distances at our shop if need be).  And our state may have finally seen a downturn in new cases diagnosed, which means the social distancing and stay home orders may be having an effect.

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2020, 10:29:04 PM »
My thoughts and prayers go out to you, Terry. 

A sad event at any time, and no less so while you are trying to cope with lockdowns and social distancing. 

It is so difficult when the time to share your grief with friends and family has to be deferred.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2020, 03:50:54 AM »
Terry,
Sorry to hear about your daughter in law, that's a tough loss. I have a good friend who had flue type A and pneumonia was in the hospital 4 days on oxygen, out of work a month. He is back to normal now.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2020, 11:23:17 PM »
All still good here. But now we've heard the peak here won't be for another month. Trying to keep kids supplied but it's getting difficult.
The kids are doing the right thing...staying home.
My biggest worry is my parents (in their 90s). They recently moved to a retirement community and they've had a case (that was quickly moved out).
But they are serviced by people who need to come in and provide help to the residents.

Makes me wonder about their A/C system.

Stay healthy everyone. Do the right thing for your neighbor.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2020, 02:36:19 AM »
It's about to get real here.....Incoming!

10402 cases statewide in Massachusetts with 192 deaths...with 60 deaths statewide today alone.

The IHME website model is under reporting us currently and pretty grossly as well....but the rate on this is high.

The Old skating rink just down the road from me has just become a temporary morgue.....

Peak is supposed to be around the 15th

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2020, 05:02:44 AM »
Hi Terry,
So sorry to hear of your loss. Condolences to you & families involved.

Something to be said for living on a relatively small island. So far we have only had 1 death & only 950 cases. We went into lock down on the 25th March, approx 80 to 90 cases a day over the last few days.
The majority of people are taking this seriously, I guess idiots are idiots no matter what! We are allowed out for exercise, providing you stay close to home, so lots of people out walking, social distancing, use to be called giving me space, is the norm, 2 meters & of course trips to get groceries & if required to the pharmacy are ok, multi trips per day will get you in trouble

I working from home, a new experience, in an essential industry so check in each morning to see what / how thing are going. Can do stuff online, it just takes longer!

My wife is the shopper not only for us, but her mum 89, & my dad 93, but they got told it’s only once a week not 2 or 3 times like you do!

Everybody take care!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2020, 09:50:17 AM »
Suddenly ths gets very personal.

My youngest daughter is a Samaritan and works full time for the NHS in Southampton General Hospital doing continuous 15 hour shifts helping those who attempt suicide. Suzanne became infected while attending a patient in great need. There was a great shortage of PPE for hospital staff, it had not arrived in time. Suzanne is in total isolation in her home and is now on day five, nearing the peak. Only time will tell how this one plays out. We wait, powerlessly, and pray.

All my PPE from the workshop, gloves, masks, goggles and visor are with the NHS helping fight the shortages of PPE. I also have a new hobby. I am a paper pattern maker and cutter-outer for surgical scrubs, gowns and laundry bags for the NHS. My wife does the sowing. Getting fresh supplies of fabric is a problem, we have consumed all of my wifes dress making materials.

I hear a law has been invoked by Trump making it illegal for US firms to export medical supplies and PPE to Europe, Canada and the rest of the world. Thousands of items in transit have been intercepted and confiscated.         

Civilisation, is a very fragile concept.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 12:21:17 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline nj111

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2020, 10:37:24 AM »
Thoughts with you Mike,  hope your daughter makes a good recovery. My eldest daughter a GP we are v worried about that
Nick

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2020, 11:42:34 AM »
Thoughts and prayers to you Mike....I completely understand!....

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2020, 11:56:32 AM »
Sad news indeed here about loved ones. Condolences to all those who have been touched by this invasive virus.

Mike, good on you and your wife for stepping up and doing your part to ease the supply of safety equipment. Our Premier in Ontario expressed disappointment that supplies have been compromisd by American legislation.

Nick, you mentioned that your daughter is a GP. Here in Canada,, many GP offices have been closed, but the doctors are being paid by the government to phone patients directly for consulattion.

Tough times folks.

John

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2020, 12:04:06 PM »
Good luck Suzanne we are all thinking of you.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal