Author Topic: Chris's Build of a Stanley 735 Engine - Complete  (Read 2787 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Chris's Build of a Stanley 735 Engine - Complete
« on: March 17, 2020, 11:35:00 PM »
Hi all,

The build of the Model 735 Stanley steam car engine is complete - been quite a fun journey on this one! I'd like to thank all those that followed along, but especially forum member ElamWorks for SO much help, photos, tips, explanations, and corrections on what the real Stanley engines were like and how they went together.   :cheers:
Below are a set of photos of the completed engine, as well as a video of it running. This engine self-starts at only about 10psi, and runs satisfyingly smoothly up the speed range. This is a model of their piston (spool) valve prototype engine, which I understand that they only built a handful of, the main production sticking with the standard D-type slide valves. The piston valve version really made this model practical since the slide valves ran on machined faces that were parallel to each other in the center of the engine, accessible through a round port in the side of the cylinder block. That made an accurate model very difficult to build at smaller scales, where the piston valve tubes could all be bored from the bottom of the block, and a sleeve with the ports inserted like on the original.There is a full build thread over in the From Plans section of this forum with all the details of how it was made. I do not own the rights to the plans, so I am not including them here. They came from the Stanley museum up in Maine.

So, some photos of the completed model:

And finally, a video of it running on compressed air (I do not have a boiler suitable to run on steam yet).
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKqxM6JxRpw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKqxM6JxRpw</a>

toolznthings

Re: Chris's Build of a Stanley 735 Engine - Complete
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 01:08:06 AM »
Nice job and running engi  :ThumbsUp:ne !

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 01:49:09 AM »
What a great running engine Chris!  :ThumbsUp: Lots of neat projects too see, as well, in the background of the video.

This was a great build to follow along on.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline bigbud

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 02:35:11 AM »
congratulations!  :cartwheel: I salute you :praise2: what will you do for an encore?
Ron

Offline Larry

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 03:59:02 AM »
Another great build - have followed it daily. Congratulations !

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 04:54:53 AM »
Congratulations, Chris!
Beautiful model and excellent build log.  Thanks for taking us along on your journey.  I've enjoyed it, as always.  And the outcome is excellent, as always!

Kim

Online sco

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 10:17:48 AM »
Enjoyed quietly following this excellent build Chris.

In the early videos where the engine was hand held there was a clear side to side rocking motion - do you think this would have been apparent in the car?

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline kvom

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 10:31:07 AM »
Why does that video make me think of a robot on a unicycle?   :headscratch:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 10:37:08 AM »
Outstanding. Thanks for providing so much enjoyment to us.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 12:37:49 PM »
Amazing.

I followed the entire build and I could not forsee the statement that this model makes as a complete, running engine.

I like it sitting still and in motion.

Congratulations on another great project.

--ShopShoe

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 01:11:25 PM »
congratulations!  :cartwheel: I salute you :praise2: what will you do for an encore?
Thanks Bigbud - The next project? I am going to switch over for now to work on the RC model of a Cat 340D excavator that I've been working on in the background, and get that one going before starting anything new. The original is a modern style diesel/hydraulic machine, my model uses small gearmotors and leadscrews to simulate the hydraulics, which are quite expensive and can be quite messy when a leak happens. I am running a build thread over on the RC Truck and Construction model forum, here:
https://rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=13632
After that, the next steam engine project I am planning is of a Mann 5 ton overtype steam lorry, based on the one out in Vancouver at the BC Discovery Center, which I have a few videos and photos of, plus information from some old books. If any of you happen to have photos/videos of that machine, PLEASE post them or email me with them, there is not a lot out there. I have begun drawing the frame of it up as a 3D CAD model in Fusion 360, will be continuing that this spring.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 01:13:52 PM »
Enjoyed quietly following this excellent build Chris.

In the early videos where the engine was hand held there was a clear side to side rocking motion - do you think this would have been apparent in the car?

Simon.
I've not had the chance to ride in a real Stanley car yet, but from the videos I've seen they ran pretty smooth - the extra mass of the engine/car/boiler was sure to damp out vibration, and the engine does have counterbalances on the crankshaft that I am sure were better tuned than the copy in the model. The engine did not have to run at a very high rpm like a modern gas engine, which helps.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2020, 01:16:25 PM »
Why does that video make me think of a robot on a unicycle?   :headscratch:
Great - now I can't get that image out of my head!!! 

Offline cheepo45

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 02:15:11 PM »
Very nicely done!
You are a Master Model Builder.
 Scott

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 02:21:38 PM »

Simon.
[/quote]I've not had the chance to ride in a real Stanley car yet, but from the videos I've seen they ran pretty smooth - the extra mass of the engine/car/boiler was sure to damp out vibration, and the engine does have counterbalances on the crankshaft that I am sure were better tuned than the copy in the model. The engine did not have to run at a very high rpm like a modern gas engine, w

hich helps.

[/quote]Hi Chris, good to see the engine complete and running and when I had the chance to have a ride in these steam cars the acceleration from standing start was phenomenal. and the boiler pressure was 600 Psi if I remember correctly.

Willy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal