Author Topic: Been a bit "off" lately  (Read 1223 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Been a bit "off" lately
« on: March 12, 2020, 01:03:24 PM »
Hi All,

I've not participated as much lately....I've been a bit distracted.
My daughters cancer, which we battled and defeated 4 years ago, has relapsed.

Prognosis is good, not as good as last time, but good.    She's being treated with Intense chemotherapy, and has been hospitalized for a week now.   though she may be coming home tomorrow for a week or two.

With that said, and looking for work for myself, I've been busy, and pretty distracted.   

Bare with me.....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Been a bit "off" lately
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 01:29:06 PM »
My best wishes to your daughter Dave.
Family comes first.
Take care.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 01:35:38 PM »
I'm really sorry to hear your daughter's cancer has returned Dave, but glad to hear the prognosis is good.

Best wishes for your family as you all deal with this. Thanks for checking in.

Jim

Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 01:44:28 PM »
Dave, my thoughts are with you and your family.

All the best for your daughter. Glad to hear the prognosis is good.

Remain positive and strong.

Having come through chemotherapy and radiation with this disease and now an inoperable brain tumour, I know what you and your family are experiencing (although stable now with the help of oral chemotherapy drugs).

John

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 08:06:00 PM »
Dave-

I am so sorry to hear of this.  I will pray for your daughter and your family. 

Stay strong.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline awake

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 01:19:35 AM »
Prayers for your daughter and you.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8504F using Tapatalk

Andy

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 01:34:17 AM »
Dave,
I wanted to let you know that I'll be thinking and praying for your daughter and family. Don't worry about us, your family is enough to think about.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 04:57:45 AM »
My calling is to help as best I can..........next booking at the Red + is this coming Monday the 16th & it will be my 92nd donation

I am fortunate being Group O-........"the universal donor"

Have switched over in the past year to making Plasma donations which are so important for folks undergoing Chemo.......

Derek
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 09:38:48 PM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 02:53:44 PM »
Sorry to hear this Dave, but I remember your daughter as a strong girl, she should do well.

My wife was diagnosed with Leukemia back at Labor Day. She has been through lots of chemo, and what I never recognized is the amount of blood transfusions are needed for this treatment. I really have much more appreciation for blood donors now, a big thanks to Derek and the other donors. She is now in a cycle of a week in the hospital for intense chemo, then home where 10-14 days later her numbers crash and she has needed 3 or 4 transfusions. As soon as she recovers its back to the hospital for more. She is about to go in any day now for her forth and last treatment, and the docs are talking about full remission.

One must be impressed at the amazing science being done now in this kind of treatment. My wife had her DNA sequenced at the start of treatment and the Doctor indicated her treatment would be defined by the particular genes she possessed. This was at Dana Farber in Boston, and Dave  I assume your daughter is also being treated there.

Medically, we live in amazing times.

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 04:04:44 PM »
sorry to hear that, as any parent knows, that takes big shoulders.  My thoughts and hopes for a speedy recovery are with you.

Offline Dreeves

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 06:03:50 PM »
Dave, I hope all goes well and keep up the fight. prayers to her in her recovery

Dave

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 03:35:42 AM »
I hope all goes well Dave and she beats it again. Its an insidious disease which hurts both the victim and the family and friends. My thoughts are with you all.
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2020, 07:37:27 PM »
Sorry to hear this Dave, but I remember your daughter as a strong girl, she should do well.

My wife was diagnosed with Leukemia back at Labor Day. She has been through lots of chemo, and what I never recognized is the amount of blood transfusions are needed for this treatment. I really have much more appreciation for blood donors now, a big thanks to Derek and the other donors. She is now in a cycle of a week in the hospital for intense chemo, then home where 10-14 days later her numbers crash and she has needed 3 or 4 transfusions. As soon as she recovers its back to the hospital for more. She is about to go in any day now for her forth and last treatment, and the docs are talking about full remission.

One must be impressed at the amazing science being done now in this kind of treatment. My wife had her DNA sequenced at the start of treatment and the Doctor indicated her treatment would be defined by the particular genes she possessed. This was at Dana Farber in Boston, and Dave  I assume your daughter is also being treated there.

Medically, we live in amazing times.

My Condolences and hope for a great outcome with your wife Ron.
Ava is being treated at basically all of them    University Of Massachusetts Worcester for Chemo.    Dana Farber/Childrens for Stem Cell and then Massachusetts General for Proton radiation therapy.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal