Author Topic: Chinese 7x 8x 9x Lathe Opinions  (Read 7464 times)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: Chinese 7x 8x 9x Lathe Opinions
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2020, 03:16:26 AM »
:) I think I got lucky today. I found a very lightly used Taig lathe just about 4 miles from me. Guy said it was only used about 2-3 times and it looked it. Not only did it come with the standard 3 jaw chuck, it also included a 4 jaw chuck that looks like it has never been used. Came with 6 tool posts, a "top slide mount" kind of like a compound slide, tail stock, drill chuck, dial indicator with magnetic base, a few center drills, and a few tool bits.

Already played with it a little this evening. Nothing too serious. Tomorrow will be more time.  :)

Thank you all for the help.

:ThumbsUp: Let the fun begin.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2020, 11:47:14 AM »
Excellent - let us know how it works out, and take some pictures!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2020, 01:40:54 PM »
Here's a link to the first project I made on my lathe. Fun and useful: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Bd8G21Vv8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Bd8G21Vv8</a>

And yes, as Chris said, some pictures would be great.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2020, 02:37:07 PM »
Thank you both for your pleasure over my new acquisition. I will be busy with it all day today just getting to know it, and trying to make some "high precision" practice pieces  ;D.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2020, 04:30:38 PM »
Sounds like a great acquisition!  And it came with some nice additional items :)

What spindle did it come with?  If it was 3-4 years old I assume it wasn't the 5C collet spindle.  Probably the original (or maybe the ER collet?).

If it was the standard spindle, I'd consider investing in the ER16 collet adapter and a set of collets.  I found them very useful on the lathe. And if you ever get the mill, they are usable there too.

You'll have a lot of fun with that!

Kim

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2020, 06:29:01 PM »
Thank's, Kim. It is only about 2 years old from what I was told, and it has the standard spindle. Been turning with it this morning, and I am headed back to the garage to spend the rest of the day with it. I am, so far, impressed with it's capabilities.

Upgrades may come in the future.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2020, 06:38:24 PM »
Swarf!  Swarf!  Swarf!  Swarf!  Swarf!   (and pictures)   :Lol:

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2020, 09:34:01 PM »

If it was the standard spindle, I'd consider investing in the ER16 collet adapter and a set of collets.  I found them very useful on the lathe. And if you ever get the mill, they are usable there too.

You'll have a lot of fun with that!

Kim

Kim............I adapted Taig's ER16 Collet Adapter to my Sherline spindle and bought a full set of Royal ER16 collets. I use the heck out of them on both my lathe and mill.  :ThumbsUp:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2020, 02:49:10 PM »
Had some success, yesterday, on my Taig. I used aluminum to make a cylinder and a piston. However, they look nothing like a piston and cylinder of a model engine. It was more to see if I could get an accurate fit of the 2 pieces. Bore diameter is .61". Bore length is .771". "Piston" slides nicely through both ends of bore. Yes, the bore runs though the "cylinder". This was practice for making a model engine. I did bore the cylinder with a lathe tool bit, after drilling a .250 pilot hole.

Question: How do you guys measure the piston to bore fit? Plastigauge?. Also, what do you use to make sure the bore is parallel along it's length? I tired vernier; but, the readings vary unless I have the vernier in there just right.

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2020, 02:47:46 PM »
Bear, as you mentioned a vernier is not a very good tool to measure a bore. I use a telescopic gauge and then a micrometer or a vernier.
https://www.starrett.com/category/111402#currentPage=1&displayMode=grid&itemsPerPage=12&sortBy=wp/asc

Plastigauge will work for bearing clearance but will not work for a piston and bore fit. Will the piston slide through with only gravity? Then try putting your thumb on the bore will it still fall through with gravity or will the vacuum keep it from moving.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2020, 02:57:53 PM »
Thank's, Dan. That is exactly what I need. Also, as to the piston sliding through with just gravity, remember this was just a rough practice piece, so I really don't know what I need. In any event, if I plug the top of the cylinder with my thumb, the "piston" will very slowly drop.

I will likely be starting a new thread on an easy to make beginner's engine that does not require the use of a milling machine, at least, until I get one, or get the milling attachment for my Taig lathe.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal