Author Topic: WELDING  (Read 1254 times)

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
WELDING
« on: April 11, 2020, 07:45:54 PM »
Hi

I have an old Miller MIG welder, about 40 years old that works when it feels like it. I also have a cheapo Aldi stick welder. Up until a year or so ago I had oxy acetylene equipment (until our friends at BOC decided to go extortionate with the prices) which I cut my teeth on some 50 years ago.

I would also like to have a go at TIG welding aluminium.

Anybody out there got a hobby priced machined that will TIG and MIG?

Any advice will be welcome

Cheers

Rich

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: WELDING
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 07:50:33 PM »
I have a brand new Solidweld tig/stick welder from Messer.  It seems to be a well made machine, but I am just now learning the tig method of welding, so I can't give you much information. Messer is an international company that deals primarily with gasses.

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 07:53:24 PM »
Thanks Brian  :ThumbsUp: I'll look them up

Cheers

Rich

Offline MMan

• Hampshire, UK.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 10:30:06 PM »
Hi Rich,

I bought an R-Tech AC/DC machine (UK brand similar to a number of other machines) about 2 years ago because I could not trust my old Machine Mart MIG for some more highly stressed work (and I was curious about TIG). I have had no problems with it and it has stood up to my learning on it. (No relation just a customer)

Once I got the hang of TIG, not like the YouTube pundits but good solid welds repeatedly, I did think of selling my MIG and just doing TIG. But then there was a too good to miss offer on an Esab MIG and I went for it. The Esab is a completely different game to the Machine Mart MIG and has made me see the virtues of MIG again (quick, less prep, less and cheaper gas). Now I pick between them based on the job.

I did look for a combo machine back when I was looking to TIG but there was not much out there that also had hf start (which I considered a must). I do not know why, most of the parts would be the same, plus the spool mechanism.

All the best,

Martin.

Offline awake

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 01:54:29 AM »
MIG and TIG/Stick welding have a fundamental underlying difference; MIG uses constant voltage, while TIG/Stick uses constant current. Back in the days when welders were made using transformers, this meant completely different transformer designs, making it very difficult to combine both in one machine. With inverters, it seems to be easier to combine the two processes, and these days you can find some interesting combo machines - but my impression is that the MIG/TIG/Stick combo is is much less common than a TIG/Stick/Plasma.

I've been very pleased with the Everlast machines that I have bought - one that I had for 10+ years, and a new one that I just upgraded to in order to add AC / aluminum TIG. Everlast seems to be something of a premium brand of the Chinese import machines, so they are more expensive than some of the alternatives - but they do have quite a selection of MIG/TIG/Stick combos, including several with AC/DC TIG: https://www.everlastgenerators.com/catalog-multiprocess-migtigstick

The standard disclaimer: No affiliation with them other than a satisfied customer.
Andy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal