Author Topic: Chinese 7x 8x 9x Lathe Opinions  (Read 7498 times)

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
Chinese 7x 8x 9x Lathe Opinions
« on: March 11, 2020, 09:37:17 PM »
Looking to buy a lathe to get into making my first small engine  :). I would like a small lathe (7x 8x 9x) that can be used for other work as well, and capable of accurately cutting, threading and drilling steel.

I have been doing extensive internet research, and I am still not very far along in making a decision. One of the factors is starting out inexpensively in case I don't really stick with the hobby. Yet, I am concerned that I will be too quickly unsatisfied, and want a better more expensive small lathe in the same size range.

Shop space is a consideration. I have been looking at the Microlux 7x16, the Seig C3, Harbor Freight  7x12 and 7x10, Grizzly lathes, and the Little Machine Shop Hi torque 8.5 x 20 which may similar to the Seig SC4.

Help would be appreciated.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: Chinese 7x 8x 9x Lathe Opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 10:01:26 PM »
Looking to buy a lathe to get into making my first small engine  :). I would like a small lathe (7x 8x 9x) that can be used for other work as well, and capable of accurately cutting, threading and drilling steel.

I have been doing extensive internet research, and I am still not very far along in making a decision. One of the factors is starting out inexpensively in case I don't really stick with the hobby. Yet, I am concerned that I will be too quickly unsatisfied, and want a better more expensive small lathe in the same size range.

Shop space is a consideration. I have been looking at the Microlux 7x16, the Seig C3, Harbor Freight  7x12 and 7x10, Grizzly lathes, and the Little Machine Shop Hi torque 8.5 x 20 which may similar to the Seig SC4.

Help would be appreciated.

Are you also thinking about a mill? The two pretty much go hand in hand for engine building.

Jim

PS: Welcome to to MEM.  :hi:
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 11:25:50 PM »
You seem to be where I was when I started a few years back.
I started with a 7x12 mini-lathe. About $500 at the time. Then I bought the HF mini-mill. Also about $500.
I've found the mill to be as essential (perhaps more so) as the lathe.

At the time I had zero experience with machining.

A couple of memories...

1) Pretty much double, if not triple, the total cost to account for accessories, drill bits, reamers, chucks, rotary table, etc.
2) The cheap machines can make excellent parts but be prepared to tweak/adjust the machines.
3) Google for modifications that people made for their minis. Some were very very helpful.
4) If you upgrade (buy bigger), keep those the small machines. I didn't and regret it. I might have unloaded them later but I'll never know now.

The usual answer to your question is another question..."What do you want to build?". It's a start but keep in mind, as soon as you get your machines and play with them, your answer to "What do you want to build" will likely change.

You'll always question your decision so the trick is to be happy having made a decision.

I doubt I'm much help.

Enjoy the trip!
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 11:26:36 PM »
Thank's for the welcome, Jim. The answer to your question is "yes"; I will be wanting a mill. But, I do not want a combo machine. The mill, as much as I would like an old Bridgeport, will be mini size. I cannot at this time consider mill choices. My brain would fry  ;D.

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 11:33:17 PM »
Zeeprogramer, are there any beginner engines (I thought I saw some) that one could do without a mill, or maybe do with a lathe milling attachment?

Also, you are absolutely correct as to what you want to build may change. That is one of the factors that makes the decision so difficult.

Thank you.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 11:51:37 PM »
Zeeprogramer, are there any beginner engines (I thought I saw some) that one could do without a mill, or maybe do with a lathe milling attachment?

Also, you are absolutely correct as to what you want to build may change. That is one of the factors that makes the decision so difficult.

Thank you.

Here's a link to the build thread of the first engine I built, having zero experience with machining: http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,5886.msg114972.html#msg114972

I had my Sherline lathe and mill and basic accessories and tooling when I built it.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 11:53:13 PM »
I do not yet have any [larger] machines [lathe & mill], however you may find interesting, the size of components that can be achieved on relatively small machines..

This link to the latest build by member Chris is below, although his previous build threads are an absolute inspiration to many model engineers, and again an appreciation of sizing the mill & lathe used by Chris

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,9468.msg216110/topicseen.html#new

[My wish list is a Sieg SC3/400 lathe .......I would also love the small SX1L Seig mill]......may colleagues have suggested both are too small

So many nights  :thinking::wallbang: ........ 

Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 12:26:17 AM »
I do not yet have any [larger] machines [lathe & mill], however you may find interesting, the size of components that can be achieved on relatively small machines..

This link to the latest build by member Chris is below, although his previous build threads are an absolute inspiration to many model engineers, and again an appreciation of sizing the mill & lathe used by Chris

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,9468.msg216110/topicseen.html#new

[My wish list is a Sieg SC3/400 lathe .......I would also love the small SX1L Seig mill]......may colleagues have suggested both are too small

So many nights  :thinking::wallbang: ........ 

Derek
Thanks Derek!

Bear, I am the Chris he refers to, like a couple of the others here I have a Sherline lathe and mill, though I probably do the largest models with it usually (biggest is a 4'6" 100+ pound steam shovel) . While the Sherlines can do larger parts, it does take some ingenuity and finessing. Overall, very nice machines and capable, though they do not have the rigidity of the larger ones, and it requires taking lighter cuts.

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 12:30:45 AM »
My first three engines were done with only an Atlas 618 lathe and a Craftsman 15" drill press.  Two of them are pictured in my avatar photo.

At one point I use to have a MicroLux 7x12 lathe.  I only tightened the gibbs on mine.  It was a capable little lathe.  I turned a lot of different parts on it from many types of materials including steel and stainless steel.  I sold it to a friend of mine as his first lathe once I got my Rivett 608, otherwise I would have kept it.

At one point I also had a Micolux mini mill.  For me, it was frustrating to use even after adjusted.  I replaced it with a Benchmaster mill off of Craigslist.

What is nice about this hobby, there are machines and engines for all levels.  I started out simple and have been working my way up from there.  The most important tool for the hobby is your mind.  Once you develop an understanding of the basics, you can literally make anything, if you put your mind to it. 

-Bob

Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 12:31:38 AM »
What is nice about this hobby, there are machines and engines for all levels.  I started out simple and have been working my way up from there.  The most important tool for the hobby is your mind.  Once you develop an understanding of the basics, you can literally make anything, if you put your mind to it. 

-Bob
Well said!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 12:36:49 AM »

-Bob
Well said!

:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2020, 12:44:30 AM »
Very nice engine, Jim. Chris, I will check out the lengthy thread later.

I am interested in the Sherline as well; however, I was hesitant because of the size. How well does it do with steel?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 12:49:38 AM by Bear »

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2020, 12:51:49 AM »

I had my Sherline lathe and mill and basic accessories and tooling when I built it.

Jim

Very nice engine. I am interested in the Sherline as well; however, I was hesitant because of the size. How well does it do with steel?
On larger diameters you do have to take a lighter cut, or the motor bogs down. It is really good at things up to an inch and a half or so, or brass/aluminum of about any size. I use a lot of 303 stainless on mine, does really well with that. It IS a lighter frame, and heavy cuts can flex it enough to cause chattering. A lot depends on what size stuff you are going to make. If on the smaller side, the Sherline is wonderful. For larger engines, like a big gas engine, better off with a larger machine. Boring out cylinders on mine, I try and stick with around 1" bores, though I've done larger from time to time.

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2020, 12:52:29 AM »
Bob, it seems like you were very pleased with the Microlux. That is one of the ones (7 x 16) I am considering. And, thanks for the words of encouragement.

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2020, 12:56:22 AM »
Chris, thank's for the comments on the Sherline. Do you know how it would compare to the 7x machines as far a working steel?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal