Author Topic: Steam Roller  (Read 708 times)

Offline GordonL

Steam Roller
« on: March 04, 2020, 01:28:57 PM »
I am looking for a new project and thinking about a steam roller. I have found plans by Julius De Wall but have not found any information about it or found anyone who has built one. I am not sure about the burner. It appears that there is a single tube to heat the water and that is fired by some cups directly beneath the tube with some kind of fuel in the open cups. Not sure what fuel would be used. Has anyone had any experience with this design or know of another design?

Gordon

Offline cnr6400

Re: Steam Roller
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 01:56:25 PM »
Hi Gordon, one of my long term projects is a 1 1/2" scale steam roller to the Bill Harris design. Pic of the plan book cover is attached. This design was covered in a series in Live Steam magazine years ago. The general design is simple but I have had some problems getting the boiler tubes to seal - many attempts but no joy yet. I also carved my cylinders from solid rather than buy Stuart castings as the design called for. Locally suppliers wanted a fortune for the castings, which I could not afford. This design might be worth a look.

The Harris design was originally intended to use "canned heat" Sterno fuel but I changed this to a 4 head "Marty" burner for propane. My idea was to haul a trailer with a small propane cylinder disguised as a water wagon. The "Marty" burners are documented on the Golden Gate Live Steamers website in the engiineering section. They burn well but time will tell as to whether they deal well with the low crownsheet in the Harris design boiler. If I can't get the tubes to seal in my boiler I will be doing a new boiler with a) more watertight construction, all silver soldered b) a higher crownsheet and wet wall firebox. We shall see.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 02:04:00 PM by cnr6400 »
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline jeff l

Re: Steam Roller
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 02:49:20 PM »
I have built the Bill Harris Steam roller , if I would do it again I would make the boiler out of copper .

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal