Author Topic: Steam Fire Pumper 1869  (Read 12924 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Steam Fire Pumper 1869
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2020, 10:55:37 PM »
You know what is most surprising to me about that?  Is that it was SIX years ago!  I would have sworn it was just a few months ago that you were working on that Diorama!

Wonderful work, John, as always!
Kim

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2020, 11:26:37 PM »
Thanks Kim.

But you made me think. I may have mispoken. It was six years ago since I was working on the Steam Driven Machine Shop.

I didn't use the coal until the later Textile Mill diorama.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2020, 05:33:57 AM »
Well, I'll still say I can't believe THAT was six years ago either!

And you know, my point wasn't to call you out on a timeline error - it was to point out that bizarre thing we call time, and how it just seems to feel so short when you look back!

Beautiful memories of that workshop too, John. Thanks for sharing it!
Kim

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2020, 03:17:48 PM »
Hi Kim.

Oh no, no offence taken at all. Senior moment on my part.

I am honoured that you remembered and enjoyed those early builds.

Cheers...John

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
The Chains
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2020, 03:37:14 PM »
Two lengths of chain were used to limit the travel of the front axle and prevent the wheel rim from hitting the frame.

In the second photo, both are slack as the front axle is in line with the frame. The last photo shows the left chain restraining the movement of the axle.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2020, 06:40:46 PM »
The sheild is in place. I wasn't going to put it on until the build was finished, but a little bit of eye candy was needed in these troubling times.

Note the grab bar above. The men must have hung on for dear life with this piece of machinery in motion!

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Brakes
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2020, 08:58:02 PM »
The brake linkage on the carriage is quite interesting. Two pivot points allow brake shoe bars to toggle back and forth - being controlled by a brake line to a foot operated lever up near the driver's seat.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 09:16:19 PM by J.L. »

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Rear Wheels
« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2020, 09:15:14 PM »
Because this will be a display model mounted on a walnut planked platform, the wheels will not rotate. Here we see a square keeping the wheel vertical as CA glue dries on the axle shaft.

It will be nice to have those wheels stable.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2020, 09:58:29 PM »
Lovely detail John, please keep posting this sort of build.            Regards             Terry

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2020, 09:01:17 PM »
Thank you Terry.

I'm not machining much any more, but every now and then it is nice to have a small metal lathe to turn new kit parts. I do enjoy sharing the builds and appreciate the fellows putting up with me as I build from pre-fabricated kits.

The Hose nozzles are interesting. Red cord is wrapped around them for purpose and appearance. The instructions show how to secure the ends of the cord, but I learned how to seize cord with a loop from working with ship rigging.

It really is quite ingenious. The line is looped at the top end and then brough back down before winding the cord. When wrapped, the cord wound around the device to the top is placed through the loop and drawn down by the line under the wrapped line.

Old news for ship modellers, but the technique was new to me.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2020, 09:17:32 PM »
Lovely work JL! I see you had to glue the hubs to the axle. My stage coach came with one of the hubs drilled way off center no quality check I guess. Still enjoying your progress...... :Love:

:cheers:
Don

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2020, 01:13:52 AM »
Thanks Don.

I'm noticing that a lot of kits now are lacking in quality control. A few kits still use brass machined to close tolerances, but a lot of manufacturers are casting parts in soft white metal that is either poorly cast or carelessly machined.

If you recall the frame casting of this pumper being carefully bubble wrapped and packed as is, it tells the story. I can't believe that anyone would not see how badly it was out of shape and just go ahead and wrap it up for shipping.

John

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
The Boiler Water Level Site Gauge
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2020, 01:36:38 PM »
Perhaps the most detailed modelling on this engine is the water site gauge.

Much better small castings here. Four .032" x 1-3/32" brass rods surround a 3/32" x 1" clear plastic rod.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2020, 06:21:52 PM »
I think the lack of quality is because these kits were made in China JL. I did the cannon and limber just like you did and had problems with the casting also.

Don

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2020, 08:48:23 PM »
Don, did you buy the upgraded wooden wheel sets for those military models or use the white metal ones that came with the kits?

Also, there was an upgrade for the caisson where the metal ammunition crate walls were wooden as well.

Maybe they realized the original kits were just not up to standards.

You are right. The cast parts were poorly cast for any kind of close fit.

My next project will be the Japanee C57 Locomotive and Tender. I think it is made in England, but I'm not sure. Beautifully machined and cast parts with brass fittings. Unlike the D51, the C57 comes with primed and black painted brass and cast parts.

Quite Expensive.

Cheers...John
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 08:52:36 PM by J.L. »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal