Author Topic: Steam Fire Pumper 1869  (Read 12326 times)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: Steam Fire Pumper 1869
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2020, 02:37:01 PM »
Nice work and good tips John.  :ThumbsUp:

I'm curious. Are you aware of modeling forums where there are more of these type of build threads? I know there's lots of model building sites out there, but it seems like builds, like yours, that also include machining are a little harder to find.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2020, 07:46:55 PM »
Thanks for the tips JL that will help me when I get around to the wheels on my project.... :ThumbsUp:

:cheers:
Don

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2020, 07:52:23 PM »
Thanks Don.You are very welcome.

Hi Jim,
Yes, I am aware of many of the forum that focus on model making. Perhaps I should be looking for another venue? I do enjoy the cyber friendships built here over the years - even though I'm not machining much anymore.
John
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 09:13:49 PM by J.L. »

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2020, 07:59:54 PM »
I greatly enjoy following your builds John! Lots of excellent work and tips / techniques that you have shared. I hope you will continue posting here, by all means. :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2020, 08:23:13 PM »
Thanks Don.You are very welcome.

Hi Jim,
Yes, I am aware of many of the forum that focus on model making. Perhaps I should be looking for another venue? I do enjoy the cyber friendships built here over the year - even though I'm not machining much anymore.
John

Yes, but what makes your build threads unique is that they always include some machining, which is what makes them fit in so well here on MEM. I certainly wouldn't want to see you move somewhere else. I was mainly inquiring as to where I might find other build threads that include machining, as well as model building.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2020, 08:41:51 PM »
Hi Jim,
I understand and thank you.

While paint hardens up, there is always something to work on with this engine.

Here is the casting for the small expansion tank. Being cast, it out of true. There is not enough meat on this part to machine, so it has been sanded with wet/dry sandpaper to remove the flash and some pitting.

It will be painted copper.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2020, 01:42:29 AM »
The large expansion tank was cast out of round so much that it could not be trued without reducing its diameter significantly.  A steel mandrel was turned in the chuck to hold the existing hole firmly. Then it was just a case of cutting my losses, squaring the end and drilling a centering hole while the ball wabbled around.

Actually, I might get away with the shape when it is mounted on the engine.

P.S. I apologize for the condition of the lathe.  :-[ 

I would have cleaned things up before taking the shot, but it was late and I wanted to call it quits for the night.

Self-isolation must be getting to me.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
The Coal Bin
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2020, 03:03:46 PM »
The boiler is made up of two parts which were made and set aside in early March. They are connected together at the middle with a ring. The bottom of the boiler also has a ring which you see here attached to the coal bin.

The men would use the wooden step and the steel grab bars to access the back of the pumper. Why the floor of the coal bin was painted red, I do not know. You would think it would be painted black. Perhaps appearance was the goal rather than practicality. I may lay down a thin rubber black matt later.

The build can not continue until the boiler is totally in place. So the lower half is being epoxied into place now.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2020, 08:07:57 PM »
Hi John - still enjoying your build (just as the previous ones) and good to see you still enjoy making them too  :ThumbsUp:

P.S. I apologize for the condition of the lathe.  :-[

I'm sure that it is more the Lathe you should ask for forgiveness, than us -  the spectators - as it got more reason to complain  ;)

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2020, 10:14:29 PM »
 :D

Yes, I asked forgiveness. All is well.

John

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
The Coal Bin
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2020, 02:22:47 PM »
The Coal Bin has now been attached to the boiler by means of the lower ring and the diagonal struts. The coal door without its latch has also been added.

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2020, 07:00:59 PM »
Nice job on the wood packing John. That will certainly hold the shape.

Cheers

I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2020, 07:58:37 PM »
Thanks Tom.

Working with that springy stainless steel was no fun.

One advantage I have now is that I do not have to reach down into the boiler shell to start a nut on the many parts that will be bolted on. A drop of CA on the threads - push the bolt into the wooden hole and the deed is done.

John

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2020, 07:55:35 PM »
Have you ever lost a very small part because you set it aside to do something else and then couldn't find it?  :shrug:

Well, that's what happened to two small mounting hooks. I found one - stepped on it.  :-\

Perhaps it was for the best. I needed two. The other one will never be found, but I noticed that the surviving one was actually a bit long. It came very close to a hole that would be used later to mount a strut.

So I chucked the one left and made two new ones.  Shorter.

Brass rod was heated red hot and bent and make the hook; then a square chuck of brass was bored to receive the hook and the hook was soft soldered into the hole.

Enjoyed making them.

You can see the bar coming out from the shock absorber mount with a loop at one end. (photo 1).  That's where the hook grabs it.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Coal
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2020, 10:36:39 PM »
Who knew that I'd be using a little bit of left over finely milled coal that was used in the Textile Mill six years ago?

You can see the pile of coal in the crib in front of the boiler in photo 1.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal