Author Topic: Steam Fire Pumper 1869  (Read 12915 times)

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Steam Fire Pumper 1869
« on: March 03, 2020, 10:19:15 PM »
This 1:12 metal kit looked like a good kit model project. I have downsized my metal machinery thinking of the future  ::) and am concentrating now on kits rather than scratch builds and dioramas.

This kit has an interesting history of coming into production. Ken Foran has a thread on the internet where he built a prototype of this engine for Model Expo. After the parts were made, he disassembled the engine and sent the parts to be cast in rubber molds.

Model Expo sent him the resulting cast white metal parts and asked him to proof the parts by building the engine again from the cast parts. Ken then wrote an extensive instruction booklet for the kit.

It was very well received in 2013.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Re: Steam Fire Pumper 1869
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 10:23:02 PM »
When I received my kit, I opened the box and took out the first part wrapped in bubble wrap. I couldn't believe my eyes! This deformed part was actually wrapped this way!  It was not a part damaged in shipping.

Not a good start. Here is the main frame of the engine:

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
The Frame
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 10:28:09 PM »
Needless to say, it was a disappointing start.  :-[

But the kit has much potential and many have successfully built it. 

What to do? The boiler ring could not be hammered into shape without being damaged.

I then thought of making pins for my scroll 4-jaw chuck to press the ring outward into round.

It sort of worked. Time will tell.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 10:43:14 PM »
That was quite a save John! well done.  :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 02:47:45 AM »
Glad to see you back and starting on a new project John.  :whoohoo:

I can see why your were discouraged with the first part. Experience saved the day!  :ThumbsUp:

If you feel like elaborating, I'm really curious how you've downsized your metal working equipment?

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 03:13:00 AM »
Nice kit John, I see Amazon sells them for $349 with prime shipping. Looking forward to seeing it assembled.

:cheers:
Don

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 04:45:58 PM »
Oh, joy, joy..

A J.L. build thread running parallel with a crueby build thread.  Doesn't get much better than that in the model engineering universe.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 04:58:48 PM »
Oh, joy, joy..

A J.L. build thread running parallel with a crueby build thread.  Doesn't get much better than that in the model engineering universe.
And a Britnell one going too! 

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 06:15:17 PM »
Oh, joy, joy..

And a Britnell one going too!

Yes, indeed.  How could I have overlooked my hero, George.  Hopefully he'll forgive me.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline tghs

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 06:46:53 PM »
I've been looking at the hearse kit they sale to add to the halloween decor,, have to find some 1/12 scale skeleton horses :LittleDevil:
what the @#&% over

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2020, 03:29:42 PM »
Thank you all for your kind comments. It's good to be posting again. Several models have been built offline.  ::)

Yes, most of the heavy equipment is gone: floor drill press, Southbend metal lathe, (where the Textile Mill diorama now resides), 13" thickness planer with dust collecting barrel, (now room for Chartres and  St. Michaelis) a 6" floor belt sander, and the 12" General wood lathe, (where some card models are now displayed).

Thinking ahead while I am still able to advertise and talk about the equipment as it is sold. My wife is relieved as she will not have to deal with all this equipment. I did keep the milling machine.

I bought a small metal Taig metal lathe. The shop is much larger now!  The trusty table saw is still in the middle of the room.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 03:38:59 PM by J.L. »

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2020, 03:37:01 PM »
The walls of the boiler are made of stainless steel that is impossible to hold a curved shape. It just springs back.

I turned a drum of wood and used epoxy to force the metal walls into a closed circle.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 03:40:38 PM by J.L. »

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2020, 02:33:02 AM »
Thank you all for your kind comments. It's good to be posting again. Several models have been built offline.  ::)

Yes, most of the heavy equipment is gone: floor drill press, Southbend metal lathe, (where the Textile Mill diorama now resides), 13" thickness planer with dust collecting barrel, (now room for Chartres and  St. Michaelis) a 6" floor belt sander, and the 12" General wood lathe, (where some card models are now displayed).

Thinking ahead while I am still able to advertise and talk about the equipment as it is sold. My wife is relieved as she will not have to deal with all this equipment. I did keep the milling machine.

I bought a small metal Taig metal lathe. The shop is much larger now!  The trusty table saw is still in the middle of the room.

It's always good to be proactive John. :ThumbsUp: I've been doing that myself lately and want to continue.

Now, since you opened the door, what models have you built off line? Inquiring (or is that nosy) minds want to know.  :shrug:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2020, 11:18:34 AM »
I don't recognize Chartres in these "offline" realizations, a tower in missing somewhere !

Have a good time with new projects in your new workshop...

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2020, 01:19:49 PM »
Well fellows, you've opened a floodgate.

Thank you for your interest.

Since you've asked, here are some photos. The first one is of a little table replacing the thickness planer. On it are Chartres and below, St. Michaelis in Hamburg. Yes, four towers were never built on Chartres.  These models were built years ago when I was into card modelling.

I was referring to the Adler, the buckboard, the caisson, cannon with limber and the coffee wagon being built offline.

Cheers...John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal