Author Topic: Rebuild time for my Upshur single  (Read 6915 times)

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
Re: Rebuild time for my Upshur single
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2020, 02:13:17 AM »
Brian,
No I don't have a Whitworth nut embedded in my forehead and yes it is sort of a snug sliding fit, it also has the pressure of the center keeping it in place. I did the same on the previous crank. I did wonder if someone would point it out. Guess that means you get the prize. :DrinkPint: I spent a lot of time this weekend trying to figure out how to not cut air for the .3125 in between the two throws. It's over my head, maybe if I had sprutcam lathe? & could save the simulation from there. :headscratch:

I never thought I'd say I wish I had more vertical space on my mill. Thought I was going to have to borrow a 3/8 collet from work but realized I could just fit it in on the centering indicator.

Here is the mill doing its thing. I did dry run it first, I was worried that it was chattering to much while it ran the top but it was the same on the bottom. I was glad that I had decided to do two .010 finishing passes.

Here is the end result, wish I had a smaller cutter to do the inner radius but you gotta use what you got. Next is turning the flywheel side of the crank. That'll give me more to report later.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2020, 12:22:31 PM »
It is really amazing how flexible these small crankshafts are. I generally never have anything the right size for a "precision slide in fit" on the crankshafts I make. I generally have to machine something to get the right size, and then I attach it with hot melt glue.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2020, 12:44:30 PM »
Brian,
I did need to clean it up with some 600 grit wet / dry for the right fit. Dont want it all wobbly when it's done.
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2020, 05:58:33 PM »
It's looking really good. ---Brian

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2020, 02:35:46 AM »
Brian,
Thanks, I didn't get much done yesterday but I did rough down that side to around .625 the first dimension I need is .5. I think it has cooled off by now.
Art

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2020, 03:08:41 AM »
Ok since the cancellation of the names show I've stopped bending over backwards to finish the Upshur before the show. And yes the other shoe did drop ACA canceled the conference my wife intended to go to, so no more trip to San Diego the week before names. But I haven't sat still, I did finish the lathe portion of the crankshaft.

Just threw a convenient book in for a nice background.

This is the other bit I've been tinkering with. It has been giving me fits. I used steel inserts in the cylinder to mount the head to the cylinder, but I think they are off center. I have to mount it in this alignment so the holes all cooperate.
Here's a question for the folks out there who have a knack for carburetors. I have the plans for Gerry Howell's carb, But Its to big, the intake is.25" and I need it around .170". Experience has shown me that even .198" is to big. Can I use the dimensions for all the jets, bore ect and just change them the needed % down, or can I leave everything the same and just drill the bore smaller? Any thoughts?
Art

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2020, 11:24:34 AM »
Your new part looks great  :ThumbsUp:

If your carb has an ajustable needle - I would leave the "jets" the same size as it should need the same amount of fuel .... but as the sucktion increases, it will try to get more through the same "jets" .... (not nessesary possible).

Best wishes

Per

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2020, 01:57:29 AM »
Hi everyone,
I'm back, I spent a lot of time last weekend working on a new muffler for the Upshur. I would have neglected to take photos of the individual parts but for one thing. My propane torch didn't throw enough heat so I could properly silver solder it.

So now I will have to pull out the big guns, I have an oxy-acetylene torch that I will now have to dig out of its corner of the garage behind my motorcycle. this is what the parts looked in their pristine condition.

This will be the end result. I will still need to clean up the ends, as I left them oversized.

I have heard people talk of a pickling solution to clean up after silver soldering. What is that? some sort of acid? Any help would be appreciated.
Art
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 02:03:45 AM by Art K »

Offline awake

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2020, 01:08:07 PM »
I am the furthest thing from an expert, since my soldering skills are near-zero. But I've seen people talk about using citric acid. If you can get to the store in these days of pandemic, you might find the citric acid powder in the same section as vinegar and such. Or if there is a section devoted to canning, it should be there.

Unfortunately, I don't know how strong of a solution people use ... hopefully someone who actually knows soldering will chime in!
Andy

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2020, 03:03:35 PM »
Buy citric acid powder at the grocery store. Start with half a quart of warm water in a jar.--Keep adding powder and stirring until the water is fully saturated and no more citric acid will dissolve.  Leave soldered parts in it for no longer than half an hour. Make sure they are totally submerged. Then remove parts and scrub them under the water tap with a small brass bristled brush and dish soap. Rinse off with clear water when finished. Note that this treatment is for after silver soldering, not before.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2020, 04:37:59 PM »
I use Sparex for a pickling solution.  It's supposed to be somewhat less toxic than the traditional sulfuric acid pickle solution.  But I'd still be careful with it.  It's still acidic.

Kim

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2020, 11:57:20 PM »
I use citric acid, it does the job, maybe a bit slow for some people,but its safe and harmless .    Ian S C

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2020, 02:11:03 AM »
Thanks everyone who replied, I will try and get some citric acid. This is a job for this weekend I think. I do have the brass wire brush to clean it with, so I will give it a try.
Art

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2020, 09:49:34 AM »
Art, get it (the powder) from the supermarket, or the Home Brew shop, at one time I got quite a big bag of it at the garden  shop, it's quite cheap, if you cankeep it warm it will act quicker,

Ian S C

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2020, 01:37:37 AM »
Brian & Ian,
Thanks for your suggestion of citric acid and how to use it. It worked, to good effect this weekend. It did take a bit of practice to get it down but, I did get the muffler done. So much for all the photos I was going to post, Post Image had this message up when I went to their website. "Server is under maintenance, sorry for inconvenience. ETA ~1 day" Soooo I guess I won't post photos til tomorrow. Some things I can say without photos. This was a learning experience. I couldn't get enough heat from the propane torch to melt the silver solder. So I moved things around in the garage to move the oxy-acetylene torch. First lesson was prep everything in advance so you aren't waving the torch around trying to put flux on the rod and melting the baffles of what I'm trying to weld. I didn't realize what I was doing till I heard the tink of the fallen part. To get the two baffle sections with 26 holes I went through 12 inches of the .190id X .210od tubing. That's for about 5 inches worth. I also ended up being glad I made 3 mounting flanges because I used them all. Ended going from # 1 to a #0 tip I'd have saved myself some grief if I had checked for that one in the first place. I would like to have another go at some of the joints but would rather leave it as is than blow it, so it's done. More later.
Art

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal