Author Topic: IS THIS BEYOND REPAIR  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Gary Brooke

IS THIS BEYOND REPAIR
« on: March 01, 2020, 03:34:55 PM »
After been away from the hobby for much to long. I've moved my work shop indoors and stripped my lathe for cleaning and adjustment. On removing the motor I found what think is insulation material. So pulled it apart and it appears to have come from the don't know what you call it but the picture shows it. Will be possible to repair or should I just replace don't want to risk damaging the electrics.                                                                                                  Rgds Gary                                                                                                         

Offline Muzzer

Re: IS THIS BEYOND REPAIR
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 04:23:10 PM »
Just remove any bits that are flapping loose, so it doesn't get clogged up and see how it goes. The insulation that is more likely to cause problems is the varnish on the wires which degrades with age and temperature.

The copper commutator surfaces could perhaps do with a bit of a clean to remove the sheen. The brush material should clean the surface as it wears but that's looking a bit grubby.

Offline bruedney

• Wellington, New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 08:18:44 PM »
That motor looks like it has been hot.
I would be looking for a replacement and figuring out when it was overloaded so it didn't happen again.
‘Results! Why man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won’t work.’ — Thomas Alva Edison

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 02:29:18 PM »
Definitely overheated and as stated a replacement is in order for safety reason. The armature is very  susceptible to developing a ground if it doesn’t already have one. If the stator is wire wound it also got hot and may need replacement unless it has magnets and is a DC Motor.
Also as stated you need to find out why and how it got overloaded.

Don

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 09:16:42 AM »
Thanks gentlemen for your replies. Cleaned it all up and put it back together and it works.I'm not happy with running it though so will be looking for a new one or maybe time to upgrade to a new lathe. once again thanks for your advice i'd be stupid not to take it.
Rgds Gary

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal