Author Topic: New in Norfolk (UK)  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Amblejo1

New in Norfolk (UK)
« on: February 29, 2020, 05:38:26 PM »
Hello all. Saw a reference to this forum in Ray Wilkinson's article on the Alyn Foundry Sphinx in Stationary Engine magazine. Let me introduce myself.......

I have been sitting on casting sets for Alyn Foundry Gardner O and Retlas engines since 2005/6, and also castings for the R & B Gas Engine - bought them whilst available with a view to them being retirement projects. Retirement has arrived and I have relocated from West Sussex to South Norfolk where I can afford enough space for a proper workshop. Having settled in, the time has now come to get to work on the castings, so might need some advice in the weeks and months to come.

Professionally I was a scientist as my maths wasn't good enough to study my first love, mechanical engineering, to degree level. When my laboratory work got pushed into the background as I moved into middle management, I looked for an outlet for my need to work with my hands and I came back to engineering as a hobby. Over a number of years I have kitted myself out with a Myford lathe, Boxford shaper, Warco mill and a pillar drill and taught myself to use them. So far most of my work has been making parts for full size stationary engines, but as they are usually heavy and my back is getting weaker, I need to scale down. I volunteer one day a week at a local preserved windmill where I look after a 20BHP Ruston Hornsby 4YHR diesel engine - not exactly scaling down, but I don't have to move it around.

The only area my workshop is deficient is a lathe big enough to turn flywheels for the kits in hand, so I suspect I may have to contract out the machining of these.

I look forward to going back through the archives to see what has cropped up regarding the Alyn Foundry engines, and I am very pleased to note that Graham Corry is a participant here - I suspect he knows a thing or two about these engines :-)

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
Re: New in Norfolk (UK)
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 06:25:39 PM »
Good evening Amblejo1.

Welcome to MEM.

Pleased to read you have a couple of my engine kits and, as you say large ones in the flywheel area.

Luckily there are several members who have built these engines and there's an excellent build log on a superb Retlas built by Chipmaster.

I don't think anyone has logged a Gardner build here but I'm sure I'll be put right if there has. The forum is full of knowledgeable people and a mine of hints and tips for the beginner.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions, that's what we're here for.   :)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhACUBzEGB4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhACUBzEGB4</a>

Cheers Graham.

Offline RayW

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 07:15:14 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I always try to mention the forum when I write articles for SE mag, so good to know that my promotional efforts have paid off and led you here. In case you are not aware, there is also an Alyn Foundry Facebook page that is well worth joining.
Ray

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 07:46:30 PM »
Thanks Ray.

Here's the link.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ALYNFOUNDRYMODELS/?ref=share

All modellers are very welcome to join.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Amblejo1

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 10:23:18 PM »
Many thanks for the welcome and the Facebook link - I will join up.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 02:56:10 AM »
Hi, Welcome to Norfolk and good to have fellow modelers here where 'we doo different' !! There is the local Forncett steam museum that has a Model engineers day in October where we all meet up ...so may see you there...

Willy

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 07:11:35 PM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket