Author Topic: Different engine configuration  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Different engine configuration
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2020, 01:45:23 PM »
Jason B What a lovely little engine that is. I see that I have commented on it during your build. Very nice!!!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2020, 09:44:53 PM »
I've got some very interesting stuff going on here today. I have everything sussed out but the cylinder head. I'm going to stretch my own boundaries here a bit and go to a 1.375" bore x 1.375" stroke, with larger valves.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2020, 03:48:04 PM »
Looks just like your rocker block design stood on end or is there a difference I am missing?

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2020, 05:18:19 PM »
Basically the Rockerblock stood on end with air cooled cylinder and flywheels with vanes to ensure good airflow over the cylinder. also it will be the first engine I have built with such a large diameter piston. I will be buying a set of cast iron rings for it from the same guy that supplied the rings for my vertical hit and miss engine.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2020, 06:00:32 PM »
I managed to get the intake and exhaust all in place, although I thought I might have to make the flywheels a bit smaller in diameter that I had planned. It turned that everything fitted into place without changing the flywheels.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2020, 07:10:05 PM »
I am going to end this thread off at this point, and begin a new thread dealing with the fabrication of the engine under the heading of "Thumper--A new 1 3/8" bore i.c. engine"

Offline AlexS

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2020, 07:18:58 PM »
Nice different engine configuration! I see you are in a more final state of the design. I was thinking.
What if you make the connection rod out of two pieces. So there is a oscillating part and a rotating. Add a disk to the bottom part of the cylinder to close it with a O-sealing of the oscillating connecting rod. So that the bottom part of the cylinder act like a positive crankcase breather? A two stroke like reed valve on the inlet of the crankcase connected to a carburettor and a output to the intake of the cylinder head. On the plus side it could lubricate the cylinder/piston if oil added to the fuel and scavenge the fuel some better and under pressure.

Offline AlexS

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2020, 07:19:54 PM »
Oh sorry I didn't read your newest post on this thread that you are read to start to fabricate this engine.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2020, 09:09:49 PM »
Alex--It's okay. Things happen pretty quick around here when I decide what I'm doing.---Brian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal