Author Topic: Pull My Finger  (Read 7927 times)

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
Re: Pull My Finger
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2020, 05:12:28 AM »
We haven't worried about doing mail order. It makes more sense to do that than go to the store, social distancing. Also adds a little to the economy.

We have a pile of boxes from Amazon in the garage.

Thanks.
Hugh

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2020, 04:12:34 PM »
Thanks all.

Jim and Chris...what did you make your tommy bars from? I have 303 stainless, some drill rod, and maybe some 12L14 steel.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2020, 05:55:13 PM »
Thanks all.

Jim and Chris...what did you make your tommy bars from? I have 303 stainless, some drill rod, and maybe some 12L14 steel.
I just took the stock bars, and added a few inch length of brass to the end. The stock bars are hardened enough not to bend, so best to adapt them.

Offline Mike R

• Ottawa, ON
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2020, 02:56:11 AM »
Not sure about what is available for the Sherline size machines but I had a hard time sourcing slitting saw arbors or any arbor for that matter (i.e. for gear cutters).  I wound up making my own, several times as a matter of fact but it taught me a lot.  I'm quite sure that I ended up with more accurate arbors than I would have purchased (being a cheapskate).  Main down side to my shop made ones are they are not hardened but - meh.  So what.  Not like I'll wear them out.  And if I do, I'll make a new one.  First one took probably an hour plus of fumbling around, by my third arbor I was getting rather professional at it and had it down to less than 45 minutes which is amazingly fast for me.  Lots of you tube videos on people making their own saw arbors too.  Now I make arbors any time I need to hold parts nice and concentric - was well worth the time learning in my opinion.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2020, 04:03:27 AM »
Thanks all.

I used some 1/4" brass brazing rod.
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2020, 05:25:52 PM »
I use just the stock Tommy bars and have had no issues. You may be over tightening the chuck. Generally if I need to hold something better I will use the independent 4 jaw. It takes more time to center stuff but as with anything you improve with practice.
Stay safe, stay sane, stay in.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2020, 05:53:57 PM »
Thanks all.

Mike: I have arbors for the Sherline. If I made one, it would need a Morse taper on it as well as tapped for a draw bar. I should be able to find slitting saws and should get them anyway. The ones I have are no doubt beat up.

Jim: I'm thinking of using some hex brass on the tommy bars. A bit over-the-top but I'm thinking it would stop them rolling around.

Alan: Yeah. It's hard to know how tight is too tight. I do tend to be ham-fisted but twice now the stock slipped in the chuck and one time a part got pulled out of the chuck. The 4-jaw is a good idea.

Otherwise very little progress. I made a run on CamBam but couldn't get it to generate a tool path. Still learning! I'm also trying to learn a bit about Fusion 360.
"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2020, 07:03:09 PM »
Every once in a while the longer bars come in handy on my mill, the screw-on chuck and mill adapters sometimes get run on very tight by the cutting motion and need a bit more pop to get them to break loose. When tightening the chuck I use the original length, the extensions come in handy for loosening it again. I like the hex bar idea, would save chasing them across the tabletop when the shop elves start log-rolling contensts on them.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2020, 02:29:43 AM »

Jim: I'm thinking of using some hex brass on the tommy bars. A bit over-the-top but I'm thinking it would stop them rolling around.

Well geeez! Why didn't I think of that. I'm always chasing mine somewhere.  :-[

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2020, 02:42:02 AM »

Jim

Hey Jim, what happened? We both learned something from Zee?   :o   :censored:    :help:    :Jester:

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2020, 03:03:12 AM »
Chris,
I think it's called a paradigm shift. Or was that quantum flux, hm.... :headscratch:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2020, 03:09:11 AM »
Chris,
I think it's called a paradigm shift. Or was that quantum flux, hm.... :headscratch:
Art
Paradigm shift without a clutch!   :Lol:

:cheers:

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2020, 04:11:35 AM »

Jim

Hey Jim, what happened? We both learned something from Zee?   :o   :censored:    :help:    :Jester:

:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2020, 11:24:22 PM »
Hey Jim, what happened? We both learned something from Zee?

If that's true (and I know you guys lie), I can't think of a better compliment.

Thanks.
"To work. To work."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal