Author Topic: Storm Dennis  (Read 798 times)

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
Storm Dennis
« on: February 17, 2020, 10:45:20 PM »
We have had two severe winter storms one weekend after the other: high winds and torrential rain. The ground was already saturated and waterlogged from the previous Storm Ciara, so when Storm Dennis emptied the heavens for two consecutive days non stop, there was nowhere for the rain water to go. Many rivers have burst their banks and flooding is widespread across parts of the country. Many homes have been destroyed by the floodwater.

On a personal level, the groundwater (the water table) is so high, my workshop floor is underwater. Not deep, just an inch or so. So today, it's been 'all hands to the pumps' lifting the rubber mats and mopping out. No real damage to the machines, they are all at bench height. I will give everything a good spray with WD40 or Duck Oil to keep the dreaded rust at bay.

The water seems to be seeping up through the concrete floor of my garage workshop, It looks like the builder saved himself a few pounds by not installing a waterproof membrane when he built the garage. Too late now. I am thinking an epoxy floor paint may seal the floor against the next inundation.

Mike   :wallbang: :wallbang:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 10:59:45 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Storm Dennis
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 07:35:22 AM »
 :toilet_claw:

Once it is dry it would be a good idea to run a dehumidifier in there for the next couple of months Mike.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 08:35:24 AM »
Over here in Farnham the river wey came very close to breaching in Gostrey Meadows and possibly even flooding the Maltings. But clearly even the rain gods won't risk having no Farnham BeerEx, so the water held back.

My workshop is a goof 80 feet above the river level, so I guess I'm OK for while, but there's a chap down by the fox building a big boiat in his garden and advertising kennel facilities for pairs of animals...

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 12:59:30 PM »
Also check to see where the roof runoff is going.   I found the day after I moved into my house, that the rain gutter emptied right next to the cellar entrance.....and into the basement! :hammerbash:  I was up at 5:30 the next morning and broke up the paved walkway and cut a trench so it would go into the back yard and problem solved

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal